Jerry Springer: The Opera!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MOFS, Jan 15, 2005.

1. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I was a bit surprised when I searched the site to find no reference to the BBC's screening of this momentous programme! (NB: Dammit if there is a thread, and apologies). This is in reference to the BBC's decision to screen Jerry Springer the Opera!, an opera satirising the popular TV show, last Sunday (the 9th). Now, the reason for why this was a momentous showing was because of the record number of complaints against it both before (I know I know...) and after - 45,000(!) before and a record number to date afterlink . A combination of its rumoured 8,000 swear words (consisting of allegedly 3,168 f-words and 297 c-words), and, most contreversialy being The production... full of blasphemy by depicting the Lord Jesus, Mary and God as self-centred sexual deviants who give and receive extreme verbal abuse... is obscene.

Now I happened to watch the programme (Ok the complaints encouraged me to watch it), and, knowing my Bible (I've read the whole thing cover to cover - not just the New Testament), its not as bad as has been made out. South Park's portrayal of Jesus as a chat show host (ironic, eh?) is definitely more blashphemous I feel (I'm not a practising Christian, but I know my stuff). Furthermore, the "sexually deviant" term is a reference to one particular moment in the opera, as far as I can tell, where Jesus says that "he is a bit gay" - but as a soliloquay! Its not as if he's a drag queen in the opera or anything like that. Regarding this whole saga, for me that was the most damning part of it - the fact that a certain group of Christians (let alone non-Christians) still consider homosexuality as "sexual deviance".

The opera was actually rather good - the parody of the whole show and culture around it was spot on. There were never 3,400 swear words in it (297 according to official counts and the screenwriters - including words only loosely described as swear words - and a total of 7 c-words) and they weren't noticeable - it actually became humerous hearing them being used so much and blasely (is that a word), because they lost their meaning. I personally applaud the beeb for showing such a thought provoking TV programme at such a time.

PS: I can see this going political reeealy quickly.

2. brap macrumors 68000

[Spoilers? Don't read if you want to go see it at the West End...]

I thought it was awesome. All of the performances were good, however warm up guy/Satan was incredible. The profanity was used well -- plenty of it, so much so you become desensitised, perhaps you even enjoyed it? It's clear the Bishops missed this subtle poke at human nature; as with much when ones head is buried in the sand.

I loved the edited disclaimer before Jerry's descent: (from memory, paraphrased) "WARNING: May be unsuitable for those without basic understanding of Judeo-Christian Mythology"

High point: Tap-dancing Klan, I nearly wet myself! Low point: end sequence, top-hat-and-tails. Should have ended sooner, as Jerry gave his final words. As a piece of entertainment, the music, choreography and comic timing were wonderful. As a satire, it pokes fun at us all and does it incredibly well... my partner didn't see the show, so we may end up going to see the tour later on this year.

Knowing the Church of England didn't want me to watch it made it that little bit sweeter; the 'fundies obviously felt empowered because of recent events in Birmingham, but mercifully Auntie doesn't give in to bullies. Someone move this to Political, please ;)

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I agreed with the BBC decision to show it.

But I didn't think it was that great - I suspect it's better live with more atmosphere.

I did think the parody of the talkshow was quite funny but I got bored in the second half (and I do have a strong understanding of Judeo-Christianity mythology) and flipped back over to the NFL game that was on SKY.

4. MOFS thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

:confused:

Do you mean the musical or the TV show?

5. iJoe macrumors member

Yeah, that Opera was better than I expected. Jonathan/The Devil was especially good. I just wished Montel/Jesus would put some clothes on! He had one man-boob bigger than the other!

6. Lau Guest

Mmm, man-boobs.

I thought it was funny that the people that complained had a huge tantrum about "Jesus in a nappy" when if they'd actually watched it, or even looked at a picture, they would have seen that he was actually in a loincloth as opposed to a nappy. It was the same actor, and was obviously referencing the earlier nappy, but still.

It just seemed to sum up the complaints brigade - make the complaints before they've seen something and given it a chance.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

You could just imagine all the hoards of religious nutters all over the UK
    just waiting to be offended so they can complain to someone.

8. MOFS thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

Amen to that brother! :p

9. brap macrumors 68000

Yep. Like, all the way to the high court.

10. MOFS thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

Guess we're gonna see the first test of the blasphemy laws since "Satanic Verses" then, yeah? :rolleyes: :eek:

By the way, where do I complain to the BBC about showing programmes that I do not want to see on television - Songs of Praise or any mass on Sunday show? Why do we still have those on TV here? :confused:

11. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

jerry springer the show is way past its prime, im sure the opera is something interesting according to you guys.