Jessica Lunsford, missing Florida 9 year old, dead

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jsw, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From CNN:
    I feel shattered, and I never even knew her. There is no punishment harsh enough.

2. SteveC macrumors 6502

I know, it's horrible. :( He's just a despicable person. :mad:

It's time we kept people like him locked up for good after the first offense. He has a long history of these type of sexually-motivated acts. And to KILL her? WHY? He's going to jail for her murder anyway now... why did he have to kill her? To keep her from telling? Now everyone knows anyway. What was the reason? What was the point? :mad:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I hope this time when Sheriff Jeff Dawsy says, "I've got my man."

I hope they've got "the man" -- because that Utah case of having the right man and seeing him die in jail, then it turning out to be the wrong man... sucked.

4. SteveC macrumors 6502

Absolutely. This one really seems sure though. And, this guy admitted to kidnapping and killing her and probably failed the polygraph, too...

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This a heinous crime, something that an innocent child just doesn't deserve. Hope that Jessica didn't suffer. My prayers go out to her family and friends. I know that everyone want the perpetrator punished, but in our current country his real punished will be in eternity.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

What motivates someone to abduct, rape and then kill their victims? This is terrible and we can only learn from this and try to improve how we deal with sexual offenders and what treatments are required so this doesn't happen again.

7. SteveC macrumors 6502

That is very true. I don't believe someone with the heart of a man like this murderer would end up anywhere but "there."

8. ProjektJ macrumors member

this is why the death penalty is stupid, he gets off easy with an injection

i say let the creep rot away in a third world prison for the rest of his life...

9. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

There is never punishment enough to calm or ease anyones loss. Even killing the person on ones own would not bring peace to the victim's family's soul. There really is no punishment that could fit this crime, because in the end the little girl was cheated out of her life and will never have the opportunity to get it back. On top of that it came to a horrible end.
    The real question is what can be done to stop this kind of thing from happening - is that even ever possible?

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

not to bring down anything but, that is if there is a there

but yes this is getting pretty scary with the way the world is getting right now.

it seems to me (not that i keep my eye on the news with the way it is) that violent crimes are up. and it seemed to have started (and i am not making any accusations at all just stating when it started) with the catholic church scandel.

i am just wondering if there really is something in the galaxy or something that makes humans psyche go off kilter for a few years or something, like planets aligned or something (not making scifi statements here)

(yes i know far fetched, but how much do we really know about the human mind)

11. mpw Guest

Horrible for the friends and family.

This is the 2nd thread in the last couple of days about convicted and released offenders found to have killed again (assuming this case is proven). I know there is a very good argument for rehabilitation of offenders but as can be seen in the other thread sometimes we as society seem to be being too lenient on 1st offenses.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=115512

Why kill her? I would imagine as you say to keep her from telling. You say he's going to jail for her murder anyway so why kill her? He's going to murder because he got caught by other evidence he didn't clear up not because of her testimony. As with many of these cases (as sad as they are) I wonder how many times the criminals have got away with it before they were caught. There are a lot of missing persons out there.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

horrible crime, my thoughts go out to her family

i hope they can find peace eventually after all this chaos

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Lets see.

A: he conffesed.
    B: he told them where the body was.
    C: told them how he did it.
    D: his friends and family hid what he had done from the police
    E: an innocent 9 year old angel is dead. Her life robbed. Stolen by a preditor. When the wolf eats the chickens you kill the wolf.

They should take him, and his four friends over to her fathers house. Put them on the ground in front of him, and let him have his way.

Personally, me, I would skin the bastards alive, and laugh at them as they blead to death.

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This hits particularly hard since Jessica went to bed in her own house and was abducted from there. I hate to think what the last hour of her life was like.

I don't agree with the death penalty, perhaps because I don't believe it's getting someone to an afterlife of hell. I do believe that they should be locked up and never get out. The loss of liberty and lack of control over your everyday actions shouldn't be underestimated. While I was at university, our law class visited a local prison where they locked us up for an afternoon, in single cells. At that point, I realised how much the lack of liberty is a punishment.

There is also the possibility that he may be rehabilitated enough to do some good in the outside world (while remaining in prison himself). And there's another person remembering and thinking of Jessica everyday - because otherwise, horrific though this is , most of us will forget about her within a few months.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

History seems to show that rehabilitation doesn't work. If they do every get out of prison, the problem is how to keep them away from a child under the age of 18. For some of them prison life is actually better than what they have on the outside.

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

Having a daughter of my own, this was even more painful to see on the news last night. I just kept thinking about what the little girl went through, and what I would want to do to someone who did something like that with my child. :mad:

17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I say we kill him. Don't want tax money going to support this bastard. Of course, if his life was a living hell, I wouldn't mind paying for it.

There are sick people in this world, and then there are people who can't be called a person for fear that we will show mercy for them for what they did. This person is the kind of person that I'd like to see killed in a rather biblical fashion (recently re-learned about them). Hot lead down the throat. And having friends aid and abet him? They should be the ones who help find the body, help prepare it for burial, and do everything they can with that body. Show them what they did.

And before I'm called some right-wing whatever, leave politics out of this. Someone died. Someone doesn't have a future. That's what matters, not what, how, or who I think the country should be running like or who should be running it.

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I could not have said it better myself. Very well said.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Scary stuff, and I agree that he should be put to death as soon as possible. There are so many stupid things happening in this state and usually, nothing happens.

I wish her parents well.

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Thank you.

21. gaomay macrumors regular

Whilst I agree that the perpetrator has to be kept away from society in order that other children are safe from him, I'd like to put an opposing argument to all the modern-day Hammurabis here. It's pretty simple, really (and I am in no way saying that you are all wrong in your assertions, I just think that it is useful for someone to put the opposing argument - a devil's advocate, if you like).

I assume you would all agree that committing a despicable crime such as this is far outside of the normal range of human behaviour? If that is true, is it not then possible that the person who committed this crime is ill himself? And if so, does that fact change what we should do with him?

Once again, I don't know the answers to these questions, but I'm reasonably sure it is important that they are asked rather than submitting to the 'hang 'em high' school of philosophy without thinking of other possibilities.

22. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Why does someone have to be ill to do an evil act. Could he not just be evil? If he is mentally ill, then lock him up for the rest of his life. Don't medicate him and put him back into society so that he can quit taking meds, and then boom, kill again.

The best thing I have heard lately is show me one, just one child molester that has been rehabilitated. There are not any. The honest ones even say that they should never be let out of prison because they will just do it again.

23. gaomay macrumors regular

Nope, he may just be evil, that's true. But you presumably agree with me that it's at least possible he is mentally ill and therefore the 'we should just kill him ASAP' response is inappropriate were that proved to be so?

And of course, the primary response here must be the safety of society, especially when that involves children. The problem I have with a lot of the responses on this board is that they do not know whether or not this individual was mentally ill and were prepared to condemn him to death irrespective of his condition (if any).

24. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

gaomay, here is my point. Even if he is mentally ill, is he not just a wart on the butt of humanity? Then why not just kill the bastard and be done with him?

Attached Files:

25. gaomay macrumors regular

I see your point of view, I really do. It makes my blood boil to think of it also.

However, if a mentally ill person who commits this type of crime is seen as a "wart on the butt of humanity" where does this definition stop? Are schizophrenics who assault someone also in this category?

You think then that those who are mentally ill should be executed regardless of their mental capacity?