Jesus Camp Documentary on Google Video

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by .Andy, Feb 10, 2007.

1. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

I really hope this isn't as common as it appears to be.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This thread reminds me of a thread that was wastelanded last month.

Someone posted an article about how palestinian children were TAUGHT to hate Jews and how glorious martyrdom was. And, like this thread, does not represent the main stream religion.

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Yeah, I've seen this before. It is really, really scary stuff. So unnerving.

Not nice at all.

:(

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I grew up around crap like this. I've only been able to stomach small snippets of this film. It just reminds me of home too much.

5. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, but on the other hand, this is not some propaganda or counter-propaganda. This is a documentary from an at least moderately credible source (A&E). We should be able to have at least a nominally civil discussion about something that exists, even if it is not normative, should we?

Take the Christians interviewed in Borat. Certainly they again do not represent the norm. And certainly also, Borat is out there to elicit crazy responses. However, it does exist.

And as far as camps like this, perhaps in slightly less aggressive form, I've experienced it first-hand.

7. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I watched some of this--it's a little too difficult for me to watch, as it makes me physically become ill. I grew up around the effects of this--never actually seeing the belly of the beast as it were, like you can see in this video.

They keep talking about reclaiming the country for Christ. The thing they don't seem to get is that they are not RE-claiming it. This fascist neocon brand of Christianity is new--it does not jive at all with the humble-speaking Puritans they so often refer to turning over in their graves if they could see our society.

Moderation.........moderation is the world's last refuge!

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Puritans are closer to this brand of christianity than others

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Rather than addressing this in general terms, I'd be interested in hearing which specific phrases or what particular scenes/events documented are cause for concern?

10. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

The bits that are the most chilling for me are when the children are filmed away from adults and outside of the realm of their faith. Such as when they're searching the cave and being grossed out by the spider. They're just normal, uninterfered with, happy, inquisitive children, playing and learning about the world about them.

You haven't even watched it.

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

shall I dig up an oldie here?

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit :p

For me the most disturbing part was watching the kids down on their knees reaching for the George Bush cardboard cutout like he's a freaking messiah or saint to them. I mean it's one thing to base your opinions and beliefs on your faith/religion and vote accordingly. But it's deeply disturbing when you start seeing political figures worshiped as part of the religion.

In other news it's Darwin's birthday on monday! :)

12. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

14. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    It's also rather cutting to see the nature these people are surrounded by. They are constantly constructing ideas so hard that it feels like these kids' brains would start to bleed. And you look where they are--in the middle of beautiful nature.

Nothing they do is with any style--they eat biscuits and gravy on cafeteria trays, drive RVs, their holy water comes from a plastic bottle of drinking water. It reminds me so much of the churches my friends would bring me to when they would have special outreach nights and would try to save me. They would have some really bad Christian band and free pizza and they always had 3 liter bottles of off brand soda served in styrofoam cups, and lots of little Debby cakes. I'm not saying any of those things are bad in and of themselves, but I am noticing there is some sort of connection between evangelicals and those products--I don't even know the word them--what would you say they have in common, if your were to use a word? That is--RVs, 3 liter bottles of store brand root beer, styrofoam cups, little debby's? There's something about it that's odd--seems in stark contrast to the image of Jesus in sandals. And the whole thing in the movie with them at these camps surrounded by nature and being inside contorting their minds into these bizarre conceptions of the world at such a young age--it's I don't know--sad, weird, scary.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

a cross between artificiality and homogeny.

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Trailer trash?

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's impossible to paint all puritans with the same brush. Some were hard core religious fanatics, others were much more live and let live. What allowed them free reign, no matter what flavor of religion they created, was a country where there was no oversight of their actions. Much the same could be said about the early mormons.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Ditto. I believe we have had conversations about crap like this in the past.

My experiences were not as extreme as what is being shown in this film but It looks as if they have had time to "perfect" the process.

Did you watch the clip?
    Deanwaterman, is that you?:p

19. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

What gets me is that these people think that Christ or God would be the least bit interested in the USA. Just nationalists parading as Christians...

20. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

thx for posting the link to the vid. i must admit i had a hard time finish watching it.

poor kids being manipulated by a bunch of trashy hypocrites, who only have their own interests in the name of christ. ted haggard, the *** hating pastor who speaks to the white house weekly and proclaims that the bible is the ultimate authority in the documentary, has actually been found to be a meth user and was involved with a male prostitute for years.

i can't believe how parents could have the heart to put their kids through this kind of "training," how people can just ignore science and history and act irrationally in the name of god?