Jesus Camp: Worshipping President Bush (ABC News)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by im_to_hyper, Sep 17, 2006.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

This Link here will take you to a YouTube video which is from ABC News that frankly I found to be appalling. I don't think I've ever posted anything in the political forum before, so this is a major first for me. Politics are bad, but this is worse.

Kids who will lay their lives down for Jesus and for their country? Duct-taping their mouths shut with tape that says "LIFE" on it?! "These kids need to be able to give their lives for the gospel, just as they do in (The Middle East)" says the "advisor" in the documentary. The kids are praising a picture of Bush. What is he? Jesus' cousin?

This needs to be given bigger attention so that the US won't be breeding a set of intolerant religious extremists of its own.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'll more than likely be going to see this movie later on this week. Watching the trailer makes my old Christian sports camp look like nothing. Should be a good movie.

jon

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Scary and alarming stuff, which only confirms to us who aren't American the monster you have within... particularly the reporter's use of the phrase 'secular liberal feminist'. That kind of labelling in a news item wouldn't go down well over here... but we're all godless communists anyway.

Brainwashing children for political ends is done almost everywhere in the world, though... and make no mistake, this is political and has little to do with religion.

How far will this hysteria go? When will the backlash begin?

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I have one of these people in my family, one of the super-Jesus types. It's...um...unpleasant. Ever get a birthday card with scripture quoted in it? Creepy...

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I dunno... I kinda like this re-invisioning of Christianity and Christ in a more modern and action-packed kinda way. I mean, screw that turn the other cheek, the meek shall inherit the Earth crap. Jesus would be so much cooler if he talked like De Niro from the "Untouchables."
    "I want you to get this f*** where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy heathen, I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON HIS ASHES!"

On one hand I want to see this doc, but on the other I know it's gonna piss me off so much I won't be able to sit thru it.

Lethal

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm exactly the same. Maybe when it comes out on DVD, I'll watch it in 30 minute intervals with a break inbetween.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yuk..and a little girl said "funner way" in that clip..if you can't use proper grammar in your native lanuage i question that persons ablity to understand how the world work.

Glad I'm not around that,however it pains me because they are from my country.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this is what im talking about: the american education system encourages poor people to be ignorant! They know few history, few math, few science after high school, and being fooled again and again by republican faith-based voting manipulation system.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hardly surprising stuff, seen similar stuff in other TV documentaries before

quite scary .. (that aside i already find drive in churches scary and ridiculous)

and that's coming from somebody whose father,2 grand fathers were altar server (actually my brother too),whose aunt was a nun and is now teaching religion, whose mother was in the official youth organization of the catholic church, and had a grand uncle who was priest

and then you hear the invited US american friends say something like " the europeans are shallow about religion" :eek:

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Did I hear the woman in the video right?

"I want to see them as radically laying down their lives for the Gospel. As they are in Pakistan, and Israel, and Palestine, and all those different places."

Are we training a wave a "Christian" suicide bombers?

These people scare me more than anyone. I can only hope that this indoctrination of children backfires in a big way when they become old enough to think a bit for themselves and rebel.

For the record, I doubt Jesus would approve of anyone using the phrase, "This means WAR!" when trying to spread his word.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What a bunch of wusses. Real fanatics would be whipping themselves with razor-wire.

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

HAHAHA ,

Classic Skunk, total classic.

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

14. Queso macrumors G4

The only war this movement means is a new US Civil one :eek:

If only a third of it is true, it's truly frightening.

15. pdham macrumors member

I am the youth leader for my church and have been to youth camps and service trips with my kids. The vast majority of youth movements are not like the one you just saw. (But the other ones wouldn't make good TV)

Myself and most other Christians I know would tell you that we don't want kids brainwashed into believing or thinking a certain way. I know that I stress with my kids the importance of actually analyzing issues today based on what you believe in rather than just accepting the stance you feel you are being told to.

I will be the first to admit that I don't like a lot of what the media shows in regards to the Christian community. But, as so many have said on this forum in the past, the media's portrayal of any event does not necessarily represent the reality. People like those you see on TV and then often get bashed in this forum have always existed and always will. The problem is that the administration has empowered them and given them a voice they didn't previously have. It does not mean there is a "scary" revelation coming.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'm gonna have to agree with you. I was very involved with church through my Jr. High years and even up into high school. The activities I partaked in were fun and nothing along these lines. If anything, church kept me out of trouble until I got to college. By then I was able to be mature enough not to get too carried away with anything that wouldn't be Christian like.

All in all though, these types of groups do exists and I do see them from time to time, hence my locaton. As long as these kids are growing up in this culture, only know what their parents tell them and hardly ever get out of their state to experience the world then these people will continue to exist.

jon

17. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

This was true for me as well, actually. I was part of my state synod's Youth Board and we planned Christian gathering events for both Middle School Children and High School kids. (Telemark and Godstock, respectfully)

There were fun workshops, including a "meditation maze" and activities designed for acceptance and love. There was no Jesus craziness, just some typical gospel songs.

The ELCA Lutheran church encourages accepting homosexuals... some churches even allow gay/lesbian pastors. There is no nation-wide policy on the issue since my church believes that it would cause a rift... and religion is about connectedness and acceptness, not arguing

Not to say there are no crazies, but its a low percentage, for sure.

The reason I posted the movie was that I was very alarmed that this existed somewhere and while it probably reflects only .01% of "Christians", .01% of "Muslims" are the same way. So that .01% can lead to a lot of trouble. (I put the word in quotes because they are not those religions, they use the religions as a basis for their crazy-babble)

18. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

it's like raaiiiiinnnnn on your wedding day... :rolleyes:

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Martin Luther would be rolling in his grave if he saw how Protestantism turned out. Lutheranism is pretty tame and inclusive but some of the others are worse than the Catholic Church he was rebelling against.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Reminds me of this polygamist crap that's going on with Warren Jeffs. "Oh, the kids don't know an ybetter, so we should continue to ban polygamy."

So shall we use that same argument here? ;)

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm certain we can extrapolate from here and realize that all Christians must be like this, just as all Muslims brainwash their kids in madrassas.

Oh and it's evidence that Christianity is a religion of hate, just as we've been told that Islam is a religion of hate based on the most vocal extremists in THAT religion.

Has to be, right?

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Here is an editorial that claims the opposite.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Apparently my sarcasm went undetected...

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've felt your pain.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe the apocalypse just needs to happen so that the rest of us can get down to enjoying our thousand years of peace under the reign of the Antichrist. :eek: ;) :D