Jesus H. Intelligent Design

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Dec 20, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania (AP) -- "Intelligent design" cannot be mentioned in biology classes in a Pennsylvania public school district, a federal judge said Tuesday, ruling in one of the biggest courtroom clashes on evolution since the 1925 Scopes trial.

Dover Area School Board members violated the Constitution when they ordered that its biology curriculum must include the notion that life on Earth was produced by an unidentified intelligent cause, U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III said.

Several members repeatedly lied to cover their motives even while professing religious beliefs, he said.

The school board policy, adopted in October 2004, was believed to have been the first of its kind in the nation.

"The citizens of the Dover area were poorly served by the members of the Board who voted for the ID Policy," Jones wrote.

The board's attorneys had said members were seeking to improve science education by exposing students to alternatives to Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection. Intelligent-design proponents argue that it cannot fully explain the existence of complex life forms.

At least someone knows the difference between secular and religious.

2. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

And the bible does.

LOL!!

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

The board's attorneys had said members were seeking to improve science education by exposing students to alternatives to Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection.

Good idea! Except, are there any alternatives? I certainly don't consider ID to be one. That's faith, not science.

And... Argh! Who deleted my message while I was editing it to reply to the topic? Good thing it wasn't a multiple paragraph reply :p

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Great decision. Here is a link to some discussion of how great a decision this was for science education in the US.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

NICE!

Here is a good quote from the story on cnn;

Said the judge: "It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy."

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

chalk one down for reason and common sense.

hopefully this IDiocy is coming to an end.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Don't count on it. This decision will no doubt result in a renewed call to replace "activist judges" with God-fearing Republicans.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Good thing a lawyer thought up intelligent design in the first place. In other words, we are fighting a legal battle over science vs religion based on a theory by lawyer. The whole premise of intelligent design is silly at best. How do you teach good science if you a presenting philopshical theories about religion in a science that aren't based on a scientific method rather an activist attorney who wants to put religion in school and believes all theories of evolution are atheistic.

Oddly enough, science and religion are both the search for the truth. However, science is based on observation, hypothesis, testing/data gathering, analsyis, and conclusion rather than faith or an attorneys strategy to get religion in American schools. My question to supporters of the "intelligent design" would be: if the idea was thought up by an attorney rather than a "scientist" would it still hold the same weight to be put in the classroom?

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think anyone fights harder than those looking for vindication for their own beliefs.
    In the absence of logic the next best thing is comfort in oblivious, self-masturbatory numbers.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wisdom teeth and the appendix are two very good examples against Intelligent design but are very solid evidence for evolution. Caveman needed both for chewing through bone and rawhide but now we dont have any use for them but are still stuck with the crap! Like Hair all over my semi-civilized face? evolution to keep caveman warm? or a joke by God?

What bothers me about all this is we seem to have a society who want to replace real science with fantasy and a book written thousands of years ago..If man was ment to fly god would have given him wings right?

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Don't leave out nipples for men!:confused:

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks! I forgot about those dam nipples, another joke by God?

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

14. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

No, Men's sexual peek is 18 and women's is 30.... that is just a cruel joke

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I had my first sexual peek much earlier. What an eyeful that was!

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Posts like that almost make me believe in a divine intelligence. Well played skunk :).

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Was that before or after you hit your first sexual valley?

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Marriage?

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm 38 and I still don't think I've hit my sexual peak. My hormones are still raging.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

TMI
    :rolleyes:

21. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

How did my Jeus H. Design post turn into this? :eek:

:p

22. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

..and I always though I invented the idea of ID....:D

The idea of ID is that it evolution is made to work the way it does. Who says God didn't create evolution?

Just because wisdom teeth, etc, are useless to us now does not way against ID. Just as it took time for us to get those features through evolution, we will also lose them now that they are unecessary - it just takes a lot more time than any of us will be around.

I believe in evolution, and I also believe in God; I believe that God did create man - however, I believe that the method in which God created man was by creating Evolution. As I see it, God created evolution fully knowing and intending that man would be created from it.

The Bible is more of a "cliff-notes" than a cookbook. It says God created man, but it leaves out the exact way God did so. Sure, he made him of the same dust of the Earth, and to His likeness - but that is just a description of the thing already created.

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

If Jesus was around today, he'd take one look around and decide to retire from the prophet business and settle down with a wife and several kids. Possibly continue with his carpentry job. That's my take anyway.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All jokes aside i also believe in God and think God works through evolution not Intelligent design:)