Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
So I finally received my skin and had a chance to apply it this afternoon. I've seen a lot of people questioning what a matte skin looks like on the Jet Black finish, so I took some pics.

xNkVexu.jpg

AUANeG5.jpg

zFUHWfz.jpg

J8Gh55O.jpg

uiEUqki.jpg

The cutouts are extremely precise. The installation instructions say that it can take up to 24 hours for all bubbles to evaporate, but if you wanna speed that up make sure to use a blow dyer. For now, everything is great and the feel is extremely soothing. I am completely satisfied with how it came out and the quality of the skin itself. If you have questions I can try and answer them, I know the install process can be a bit of a pain, but if you take your time you can get a near perfect install in under 30 minutes.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Serious question, and not meant derogatory in any way, but why not just buy the matte black version of the phone?
I prefer the Jet Black finish. However, I've always had matte screen protectors on my phone, mainly because they leave no smudges and help with sunlight reflection. I wanted to test out the matte version of a full wrap to see how it would feel in hand and it's actually very nice. I do plan to order a glossy some time in the future, but for now its staying on there lol

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Serious question, and not meant derogatory in any way, but why not just buy the matte black version of the phone?

Because the Jet Black and Matte black are completely two different types of black. And the Jet Black has a much gripper texture than the matte aluminum.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Okay, but both of your points are moot when you put a skin on it.

That makes no sense. First, you asked
Why not buy matte black? Answer: Matte black is entirely a different color and texture from Jet black.

Second, a skin is a protectant. It doesn't hide
From the color or aesthetic appeal.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
That makes no sense. First, you asked
Why not buy matte black? Answer: Matte black is entirely a different color and texture from Jet black.

Second, a skin is a protectant. It doesn't hide
From the color or aesthetic appeal.
A) putting a matte black skin over a jet black phone means the color/texture of the jet black no longer matters.

B) A matte black skin literally does hide 99% of the color/aesthetic appeal of a jet black phone.

Reactions: Ntombi

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A) putting a matte black skin over a jet black phone means the color/texture of the jet black no longer matters.

B) A matte black skin literally does hide 99% of the color/aesthetic appeal of a jet black phone.

From his pictures with the matte skin, it still looks like a Jet Black iPhone. Unless the pictures show something else in person.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
These are the worst photos I have ever seen. You can't see the skin in most of the back shots I just see a camera lens in focus and then a mass of blur.
I was working with very limited light so I had to bump my aperture to 1.8. But I'll take some better ones tonight!

Reactions: Knowimagination
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.