Jews For Jesus sueing Google

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XNine, Dec 23, 2005.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Check it out: http://news.com.com/Jews+for+Jesus+sues+Google+over+blog/2100-1030_3-6006466.html?tag=nefd.top

This is taken from one of the commentors:
    Who Would Jesus Sue?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heh...nice.... I guess there is a supporting tradition that a well-known organization (and this one is at least modestly known) should have the right to use their own name.

But the usage by this person also sounds fair -- since the name was being used in the process of raising public awareness of her/his views about the group. If I want to start a site that tries to publish non-libelous, non-defamatory information regarding to the wrong-doings of...say...Apple, I'm allowed to use Apple's name in the process, aren't I? Should Macrumors get sued purely because it has "mac" in the title? That doesn't seem reasonable, and in the past, that sort of thing has been considered a fair use, as long as I properly represent (and don't misrepresent) my relationship with the organization in question. It doesn't seem to me that this site is mis-representative....

I guess I can see both sides of the namespace coin, but awarding monetary damages is ludicrous though. Google and other sites that host blogs and other accounts of various kinds should not be burdened with doing a prior precedent check on every account name. If I registered jewsforjesus@gmail.com or something ridiculous like that, Google should not incur financial liability purely because I do not represent the organization. That kind of precedent would bode poorly for the net as a whole....

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

So... if I made a subdomain for my domain called jewsforjesus.selune.net, they should have a right to it? I'd say that's ********.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... I wonder if the Evangelicals will be employing the services of one of those nasty evil trial lawyers...

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

there is freedom of the press and it's a very important right we have in this country, but that does not protect cybersquatting

at first, many didn't have a strong point of view on the practice of cybersquatting, who do it waiting for buyout of domain or huge settlement to cease and desist, but it wouldn't be much different from me taking the exact red coca cola logo and use it for my newly invented softdrink/other product

common sense should rule here and i really think jews for jesus is doing it to protect their name and not to make a buck by suing somebody

6. Lazyhound macrumors regular

Your point would be valid only if he was using jewsforjesus.(com/org/us).