JFK assignation... "game"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MrMacMan, Nov 21, 2004.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

2. therevolution macrumors 6502

3. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think its a typo for assassination.

I think they are trying to get attention by choosing such a controversial idea for a game.

4. Jaz macrumors regular

The game is from the same guys that did "State of Emergency" which was in effect a riot simulator. A trend emerges.

Not sure what substance there is beyond a desire for publicity.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I assume he means "assassination"... ;)

At any rate, this is utterly distasteful and horrible, not to mention totally disrespectful. I will make note of the creators and company who are producing this and never buy anything from them again. What is society coming to when you get to recreate the assassination a US President - a REAL person, not even a fictional setting - and people are supposed to have FUN and ENTERTAINMENT from this?! This is a GAME?! Whatever happened to playing chess or playing an impromptu game of 3-on-3 or touch football? More and more kids are sitting on their lazy, fat asses staring mindlessly at a screen for entertainment these days and not challenging their mind and body anymore - and this has got to be one of the worst examples I've ever read about of "entertainment". :mad:

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"Sick" is the word for it, all right.

Assassination as a video game. Arrrgghhhhh...! :mad:

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Abhorrently sick and distasteful. :mad:

And the truly disgusting thing is it'll probably sell well.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Doesn't surprise me that much. I've always wondered what guys who had been through the D-day landings in WWII thought of games being made of the experience - such as Medal of Honour.

9. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Maybe the game is actually a simulation to see if anyone can reproduce the exact path of the so called "magic bullet"! haha

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I remember the magic lugie on Seinfeld. Classic!

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Actually when I played the D-day assault chapter in MOHAA, it gave me an appriciation for what those soldiers were up against. I died 20+ times easy before getting on the beach. When you think about it in real life, you get a better understanding for how brave those guys had to be... and the horrible human cost.

However I don't see that kind of merit in this JFK game... it's recreating a tragedy for sport. :mad:

12. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

What about those games that dehumanise the enemy? America's Most Wanted - the Game? Capture Saddam Hussain, Osama Bin Laden etc - in a friggin computer game. I think thats equally as bad as a JFK game...

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There will always be those that try to make money off of tragedy. If used as intended then the game might dispel many theories about the assassination. Having it be used just for the violence and gore would be wrong IMHO.

14. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

I agree that it is disrespectful not only to JFK, but to his family. I live in the Dallas area and have driven by that very spot many times. An "X" marks the spot on the street. What's next? A game to see if you can fly a plane into the World Trade Center? Maybe you can get bonus points if you can hit both towers with one plane. I've played many games where I've shot up fictional characters, but I think a game based on an actual tragedy is done so in very poor taste.
    :(

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There already is a game where you can fly into the World Trade Center. It's called Microsoft Flight Simulator, and was allegedly used by the hijackers to familiarize themselves with the aircraft. :(

The JFK assasination is a frustrating episode and sore point in American history, and will provoke a negative reaction here in the states. But many people overseas might not care...

16. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

I should have known Microsoft would have it. I have heard of Flight Simulator, but haven't played it.

17. sakasune macrumors member

yeah, i read about it over on slashdot this morning. i was horrified also when i heard about it (and still am), but I read about it some more and its more aimed at trying to disprove conspiracy theories about the assassination (and assignation). its still sick, but not made to just shoot JFK
    also, the company that makes the game is not in the US (scotland, to be exact), so they might not hold as former US president as high as we would...

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Remind me. Osama been Hidin' and Saddam Insane. How many have they "dehumanized" again? :rolleyes:

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Careful, before things get too political and this thread gets closed! ;)

Oh, and it looks like you changed your initial post... interesting... ;)

20. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

off the subject here but Hemingray's signature line keeps crackin' me up!

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

eh.

really don't care.

i don't see the point... to most video games.

i think you're all pretty ...sheltered and naîve if you truly find this "sick"... it's silly and stupid, perhaps, but nothing close to "sick".

paul

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder what the reaction would be if the object were to try and asassainate Reagan....

23. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well I must say as a pilot in training its not bad software. But the thing that cracks me up is the interface(of 2004) it is completely an aqua rip off.

24. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yep, afterwards I re-read my post and it sounded like I was accusing him of making a comparison to JFK and Osama/Hussein, which he clearly wasn't doing.

While I agree with the violence aspect, the fact that we, as normal citizens, get to take down guys like Osama that have committed atrocities against mankind, it's a release for people. I personally don't think there's any comparison.

Hehe! :D

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't see how you can further appreciate what soldiers were up against simply because you found a video game to be difficult. Not even the same league.

And that last bit.........I really don't see the difference between that and FPS war games. Sort of hypocritical for you to say, in fact, as the event was tragic for a lot of soldiers and families, and yet there you are, playing a video game about it and dying over and over again.