Jigsaw Buying Tips?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lyle, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

My dad hinted that he'd like an "inexpensive" electric jigsaw for Christmas. (I am interpreting "inexpensive" as "less than $100".)

I am not a tool-buying kind of guy, and have no idea what to look for. Can anyone here provide some advice about what I should be looking for in general (i.e. in terms of features), or for that matter, specific recommendations about which models to look at?

Thanks!

P.S. I debated whether this should go in the "Buying Tips" forum, since it's not about Mac-related purchases. If this thread really belongs there, I trust that the mods will move it. ;)

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Well, makita, milwaukee, and dewalt all make excellent equipment, which will probably be close to 100 bucks. On the other hand, I'm a broke college student, and I went to lowes a few months back when I needed a jigsaw, and picked up a "General Machine Corp" jigsaw for 18 bucks (where i figured, if it only even works 10 times it's worth it). Skil and Black & Decker also make cheap tools, but i'd go with the first ones I mentioned, as they're of higher quality and are likely to last longer.