Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Iovine.jpg
Apple recently debuted a new Apple Music ad, starring singer Mary J. Blige and actresses Taraji P. Henson and Kerry Washington, during the 2015 Emmy Awards.

In the one-minute spot, focused on Apple Music playlists, Washington says that Apple's curated playlists are like having "a boyfriend who creates you a mixtape -- in your laptop."

Jimmy Iovine, who joined Apple in 2014 following the company's acquisition of Beats Electronics, has made headlines today following controversial comments he made about women on CBS This Morning today in relation to the ad.

In particular, when asked to explain his thinking behind the Emmy ad, Iovine said that "women find it very difficult at times -- some women -- to find music, ...and [Apple Music] helps makes it easier with playlists curated by real people." He proceeded to mention the problem of girls "sitting around" and "talking about boys."

CBS has made the video clip unavailable to viewers outside the U.S. -- Mirror

The Verge transcribes:
"I just thought of a problem, you know: girls are sitting around, you know, talking about boys. Or complaining about boys, you know, when they're heartbroken or whatever. And they need music for that, right? So it's hard to find the right music, you know. Not everybody has the right lists, or knows a DJ or something."
Iovine's comments have been widely criticized on Twitter and in several media outlets.

Update: Jimmy Iovine has provided BuzzFeed with an apology, saying "I could have chosen my words better."
Jimmy Iovine told BuzzFeed News, "we created Apple Music to make finding the right music easier for everyone -- men and women, young and old. Our new ad focuses on women, which is why I answered the way I did, but of course the same applies equally for men. I could have chosen my words better, and I apologize."
Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Jimmy Iovine Criticized After Making Controversial Comments About Women

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
When MacRumors first dropped this ad on the website, I knew this was coming. It was the first thing in the ad that made me cringe. Im surprised it took this long for the complaints to start rolling in though....

Edit: I dont disagree with his reasoning though. The feminazis though? Diff story....

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Oh Nooos! In real he was about to say "Its ...girls... sitting around talking about boys... or girls, or boys who feel as girls, or girls who feel as boys, or girls who where boys who feel themself as gay girls who love cats and no dogs but eat only duck meat that is white..." no offense but he stepped out of social correctness here. :-/

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
America is hilarious. CNN or CBS is one minute calling for airstrikes to bomb the crap out of some country and on the other reporting someone saying boo to a dear. Outright hypocrisy. It's like that fool walking around New York with a camera strapped to her butt and calling every comment verbal rape. Bring back real journalism. There is a story here, it's that you guys need to take your country back from the news media who tell you how and what to think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.