1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Jinkies! Acquisition is written in Java!!

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by jamdr, Apr 16, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

jamdr

If there's one app out there (Apple and non-Apple alike) that makes me think "Aqua GUI" it's Acquisition. Much to my surprise, I learned today that it's programmed in Java! I never even noticed--it always seemed like a lean, 100% native app to me. This is terrific, and great news for Java developers on OS X. Dave must use Cocoa-Java to accomplish this feat, which I've only heard bad things about. But now I've been inspired to give it a try and build a Cocoa GUI for one of my simple Swing apps. I would be more than willing to put a little extra effort into developing a Cocoa front-end for an otherwise cross-platform Java app if it meant greater acceptance by OS X users (who generally hold a negative view of Java, from what I've seen). Anyone have any comments on this?

2. macrumors Core

i love the look and feel and usablity of Aquasition, just hate the pop ups and annoying pleads to get my money, i would probably donate if it were not so annoying

good luck and be sure to share your app with all of us here!!

3. macrumors member

That's the great thing about Cocoa - it lets Java, which would be a fantastic language if its GUI options weren't complete trash, have a genuinely usable front-end. My own development work is probably going to be C#/Mono and Cocoa-Java from here on out.

4. macrumors newbie

Jolix

Actually Acquisition is coded in Cocoa/Objective-C. It uses the limewire core for all of the p2p networking, which is java. It launches the core with NSTask and reads the io with stdin/stdout. So it's actually 2 processes, Acquisition and AcquisitionCore(limewire).

5. macrumors 65816

Has anyone else's Acquisition code stopped working? I upgraded to Tiger
    on friday, everything went fine, then this morning my code stopped working.
    I've sent an email to the developer (Dave, I think) but emails never get
    answered. Anybody else effected?

6. macrumors 65816

asif786

have you upgraded to Java 1.5? if you have, i believe there's known issues with acquisition and java 1.5..

7. macrumors member

It's cocoa, not java.

8. macrumors 65816

No, I'm still using Java 1.4.2...the Java 1.5 is a standalone installer, not available via software update? It must be a problem with my reg code then...hmm. Cheers!