Jiwire: Free Wifi Finder

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Jiwire.com now offers an iPhone optimized version that allows you to search for Free Wifi hotspots around the world. Jiwire claims to have a database of over 150,000 Wifi locations in 135 countries.

You can visit iphone.jiwire.com from your iPhone or from your desktop browser to test out their service.

You can limit search to Free Wifi hotspots only.

Article Link

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sweet. Says there are 8 places in the new neighborhood I am moving to.

Even sweeter, Google maps integration (on desktop, didn't test iPhone yet)

3. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

On the iPhone, google map links open in the Maps application (though driving directions don't seem to link properly). As it's the Maps application, Backing to the previous page isn't as easy.

4. macrumors 6502

ecks618

5. macrumors 6502

loudestnoise

I enjoy hotspotr.com, which also has a mobile (not iPhone optimized, but still) version found at m.hotspotr.com. The great thing with hotspotr is that the community helps fill in the hotspots.

6. macrumors newbie

works great

my daughter is studying in Florence Italy this fall. I searched for hot spots - found them and the google maps to find them - way cool app - best iphone app I've seen so far

7. macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Not so good here....

Didn't come up with one correct place in 07030. Gave a couple but they weren't even in the town.

So, it was a complete miss. Maybe they can update their database.

8. macrumors newbie

Not very complete yet.....

There are tons of places in Richmond, VA with free Wifi access.. mostly coffeee shops and restaurants. It did not show a single one...

9. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

I used JWire on my iBook but can not figure out why anyone would want to use this for their iPhone since it looks for WiFi signals and connect via Edge if non are available. That's more than JWire ever did on my iBook :apple: