Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jiwire.com now offers an iPhone optimized version that allows you to search for Free Wifi hotspots around the world. Jiwire claims to have a database of over 150,000 Wifi locations in 135 countries.

You can visit iphone.jiwire.com from your iPhone or from your desktop browser to test out their service.

You can limit search to Free Wifi hotspots only.

Article Link

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Sweet. Says there are 8 places in the new neighborhood I am moving to.

Even sweeter, Google maps integration (on desktop, didn't test iPhone yet)

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Sweet. Says there are 8 places in the new neighborhood I am moving to.

Even sweeter, Google maps integration (on desktop, didn't test iPhone yet)

On the iPhone, google map links open in the Maps application (though driving directions don't seem to link properly). As it's the Maps application, Backing to the previous page isn't as easy.

macgolfer53

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
works great

my daughter is studying in Florence Italy this fall. I searched for hot spots - found them and the google maps to find them - way cool app - best iphone app I've seen so far

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Not so good here....

my daughter is studying in Florence Italy this fall. I searched for hot spots - found them and the google maps to find them - way cool app - best iphone app I've seen so far

Didn't come up with one correct place in 07030. Gave a couple but they weren't even in the town.

So, it was a complete miss. Maybe they can update their database.

Limey55

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Not very complete yet.....

There are tons of places in Richmond, VA with free Wifi access.. mostly coffeee shops and restaurants. It did not show a single one...

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I used JWire on my iBook but can not figure out why anyone would want to use this for their iPhone since it looks for WiFi signals and connect via Edge if non are available. That's more than JWire ever did on my iBook :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.