JJ Abrams' Action Movie FX App Blows Up Just About Everything

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 23, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JJ Abrams has been involved in the creation of some of the most successful movies and TV shows of recent years, including directing the reboot of Star Trek, co-creating the television show Lost, and producing the just-released Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol.

His company, Bad Robot Productions, typically focuses on his motion picture properties -- however, the company has now branched out into iOS apps with Action Movie FX.

The free app allows users to insert incredibly realistic special effects into videos shot within the app. Action Movie FX includes two free effects, Missile Attack! and Car Smash. Four more effects -- Chopper Down and Tornado, Air Strike and Firefight -- are available in two-packs via in-app purchase. Each set is $0.99, with more effects promised.

Business Insider's Ellis Hamburger filmed this clip inside BI's New York City headquarters, noting that the creation of the movie took "two minutes, tops."

Action Movie FX is available for free on the App Store, with two effects packs available via in-app purchase for $0.99 each. [Direct Link]

Article Link: JJ Abrams' Action Movie FX App Blows Up Just About Everything

2. macrumors 6502

FakeWozniak

Awesome, if only they could do the black smoke monster from Lost.

3. macrumors Core

Dagless

That's actually a pretty good idea for an app! Might have to get this (well, the additional content packs).

4. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

Airstrike and Chopper Down are really cool, Tornado is OK and Fire Fight is lame.

5. macrumors 6502a

andylyon

If that first clip with the car was done all on the iPhone thats incredible, i'll be grabbing this app!

6. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Hahaha, outstanding! I just destroyed the wife with a missile, and she pulled out all the stops with a dramatic reaction! :D

It's cool, you select the effect, then it fires up the camera, you shoot whatever amount of video, then add the FX on a timeline (so you can have plenty of lead in). It even gives you a target overlay while you're recording. Then it does a final post process and you've got your video.

It does require you to allow access to the app if you're going to share on FB, etc. (it's not in the normal camera roll), though I'm going to root around and see if I can find the actual video file in the filesystem.

7. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I got this one while it is free ... sure, it will get old quick, but dropping a car on stuff or blowing it up will be entertaining to my kids.

8. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

If you click "Share" from within the app, you can send it to the camera roll.

I also noticed that if you email it to yourself from within the app, rather than exporting to camera roll and THEN emailing it, it exports a larger video size.

If people want to see videos of the other effects, I can throw those up on YouTube too, though they don't work as well inside the house.

9. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Awesome thanks. We were laughing and playing around so much, I totally glossed over that option! Plus the Sailor Jerry is flowing early on Christmas-Christmas-Eve :D

10. macrumors 6502a

Just shot a missile at my mother-in-law. This app is great! LOL

11. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pretty cool effects and works nice
    Thanks for the heads up

12. macrumors 65816

kirky29

I was thinking the other day about Lost, there hasn't been a TV show since Lost that I was so hooked on and excited about watching...shame. :)

13. macrumors 68020

applesith

This looks cool and it's free! Downloading now!

14. macrumors 65816

lazyrighteye

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes please. Thanks.

15. macrumors 65816

SockRolid

That's crazy funny. I imagine that many in-laws will be extremely shocked by some of their relatives' holiday videos...

16. macrumors regular

Now if only I could meet JJ Abrams, I could use this app to destroy him the way he destroyed Star Trek.

17. macrumors 6502

Love the app but I can't get it to publish to facebook. I click share and publish and send it off but it never appears on facebook at all. The first time I think I hit "not allow" but now I can't figure out how to allow it instead.

18. macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

He made the only good star trek movie/show ever. Too bad that is the extent of his good works... Well that and this app.

19. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The dog is now dead and the house is destroyed.

20. macrumors 65816

c-Row

But does it have lens-flares as well?

21. macrumors regular

You can save your films to the photo app.

22. macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

crashes...

Love the app but it crashes my iPhone 4S when I try to download the extra effects.

On my iPad 2, no problem... =/

23. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Loving this app!

24. macrumors 6502a

Fun little app, worth the buck (or two) for the extra FX!

25. macrumors 65816

Star Trek was dead ever since Voyager. Maybe even since the last season or two of TNG. Though the last season of Enterprise was actually pretty good. Except for the final episode which was a joke.

I really enjoyed the new film though.

Better than Insurrection and Nemesis combined and multiplied exponentially 10 thousand times!

This app is awesome! lol