Job advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Smallville, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Smallville macrumors regular

I got an offer to work at my hometown newspaper, about 2,000 miles from where I currently live. They're only offering slightly more than what I'm making now and as much as my next raise here would give me. Also, they're unwilling to pay for relocation.

So, a rental truck costs $2,000, plus gas for the truck, plus gas for our two vechicles, plus hotels because it's a four-day drive.

There's no way to sell our house in three weeks and get the money, which we don't have.

Is this unrealistic?

2. bams27 macrumors member

bams27

yes. you should just stick to where u are til u find another job that will upgrade ur life and income.:D

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Why don't you at least tell us where you currently live and where your home town is?

It's not like we're going to be peering in through your bedroom window tonight. [​IMG]

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well, from the info you have given us, it seems like there is a huge down side, and very little (if any) of an upside. Why would you consider this? Do you hate your job now? Dislike where you live? Want to move back home? From what we know it doesn't seem to make much sense.

5. Smallville thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I worked there during the summer of my college stint and got along well with everyone. Most of those people are still there. The editor went to high school with my dad, so they said they'd consider me for a spot if I ever wanted to come home.

I just didn't expect the offer to be so ... lousy.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

7. dnordstrom macrumors member

dnordstrom

Nothing is unrealistic. Follow your passion and choose the options in life that you truly believe in. You'll be thankful later on. :)

8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Hey Smallville, my cousin is a reporter who works for the Daily Planet. Might do you some good to meet with her. :p

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, the way you word it, sure doesn't sound very compelling.

You said "our" house, so there's more than just you... what does your significant other say about it?

You sound like you're on friendly terms with folks there, any chance you could just be honest and tell them exactly what you just told us? If they really want you, maybe they'll be willing to up the offer, help with relocation costs, etc.

Otherwise, if you're happy with status quo...