Job For A Teenager

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jer446, Aug 12, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    I need some advice from people here. I desperately need a job. I need some suggestions on what and where to apply because most places will not hire me because i am too young (15). I would love to do something with technology, because i am very technologically inclined. I would sacrifice this as long as its a job. Can anyone suggest places to look? Anyone know of a good way to make money online?
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  3. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    :eek: (no pun intended)

Seriously, I think your chances of employment in technology are pretty limited at your age. If you're at all physically strong I suggest manual labor. You can make 8 or 10 $/hour doing totally unskilled labor, and much more for skilled labor.
  4. nsutt22 macrumors regular

May 5, 2005
    When i was 12 i was hired at a local school to do computer maintence, cleaning, minor hardware maintence, cabeling, and computer moving. It turned out to be a great job cause now i am the Assistant Network Administrator and Supervisor there.
    Its great experience and great work.
    Check something like that out maybe?

Plus as the web developer too I am licensed for software :)
  5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    I duno why ya posted this topic in here... But, anyway, here's what I do:

• Cut three lawns every week, $25 for each for a total of $75 (yeah, I passed math class, lol).
    • Set up people's computers, and provide Apple tech support for maybe 5 or 6 clients, who usually give me $30-$40 a visit. I also do some basic stuff for Windows folks, like install Virus software and malware protection.
    • I clean my Nana's house for $50, once a month.
    • I wash/wax/interior detail maybe 1 or 2 cars a month for $40 each.
    • I work for my aunt at her school during the summer for $10 an hour. For example, I made $80 this week doing that.
    • In the winter I plow and snowblow peoples driveways with my tractor.
    • And, I snowblow/shovel for my uncles company ($10 an hour), as he does strip malls and plazas.
    • In the fall, I load gravel into trucks at a gravel pit when every they need me, and when I feel like working.

I usually get about $325 a month, and yet I don't have a "real" job with set hours... That's the way to do it, because you can pick you own hours! Plus, if I don't need the money, I don't have to work. :)

And I'm 15.
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    ebay is a way to make money online.

you should find out if you state allows 15 years to work with the parents permission. also, if you really want to work in tech you start making friends with people that are in tech which will be hard because you are 15. anyways, perhaps you parents have some contacts that could you an internship or something along those lines. perhaps you could work in your school library doing A/V stuff. reality comes in the play, and more than likely you going to working a non-technie job like most teenagers.

anyway, you should make a list of what things you do know, which will help target your search. do you like to work with video/audio equipment? Cameras? radio? PCs? Macs?
  7. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004

Also that money is TAX free! That makes a huge difference. Some great ideas here. As far as landscaping you can get quite a lot business if you are reliable.
  8. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Ok, that is so wrong, but really, really funny! :D

I hope the original poster doesn't know what that term and your reference means.
  9. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    i had a reall job just dont have that anymoree cuz unfortunately my boss passed away. I love av stuff, but dont know where anyone would hire me. And yes the state does i assume because wegmans hires at 15, pretty much the only place around here, just i dont want to work there. I cant cut lawns because everyone around here has a service lol. I might get into ebay stuff just i need a product to sell. Does anyone know of a good company that you could sell their stuff and receive commission>?
  10. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I can understand that you don't want to work for Wegmans, but they are suppposedly one of the best companies to work for. Its grunt work but they have flexible hours and some other benefits.

You could try your hand at an affilliate like dreamhost. They pay $97.00 to you for every one you get to host with them. Also try or whatever your interests are. Make a website or blog and put some time into it. Start joining affiliates. That's one way to go. There are many, many other ways.

I remember a thread where someone was making slideshows on their mac and presenting them on projector for peoples events and making like $300 for each show.
  11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    Yeah, all under the table... Shhhh! :rolleyes:
  12. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    you could be one of those recycle type of individuals... i think they allow people under 16 to work for them.. the job ain't great, and it sorta smells.. but i would think thats something one of your age could do.. :rolleyes:
  13. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Depends on what is around you...

I'd say whatever job you decide to take on depends on what is available to you.
    I have a summer job at my cottage at a resort. I'm a waiter and I'm only 16 (I've had this job since I was 14/15... I look way older than my age and am good with people). At age 12 I started in the kitchen washing pots and pans and stuff, then as I got older they put me in the dining room. Now I work 2 months in the summer, with 2 days off a week and 4 hour breaks in the middle of the afternoon for boating and cottage-ie stuff. The hours are great and work well for me. I make $7.15 an hour (Canadian) + tips... on a good week I make $1000 a week. Tips are crazy there... so much cash. It's a really good job. If you're good with people and confident then I suggest on being a waiter.. tips are a great source of extra money.
  14. CompUser Guest

I'm in the same boat as you. I just got a job selling stuff on eBay for a lady.

I won't even try mow lawns in my new neighborhood. Almost everyone has a professional service come in with expensive mowers and cut patterns on the lawn. Another one of my neighbors I think is obsessed with cutting his grass, he seriously does it almost every 3 days.

I have a tractor (18hp John Deere GT 235e -wow I feel like a hick for saying that) but it seems like everyone pays people already to maintain there lawns. I could try snowblowing in the winter but I'm sure everyone pays for a truck to just come and plow their driveways.
  15. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    broker a deal with your neighborhood association and a snow plow company. pay a bulk for the entire neighborhood. just become and "agent" for the snow plow company with a good price then you can get a cut of the action at least. although, it probably won't work that way cause the neighborhood association will probably go over your head, but is an idea.
  16. CompUser Guest

My neighborhood doesn't have an association. Its mainly 55yr old farts with no kids that don't really appear to be the nicest people around. I'm sure they don't care about how much lawn care costs, the average cost of building a house on my street is $625,000 and most people drive a flashy car, they've got money. They have there lawn companies come in and do everything (weeding, fertilizing, mowing, triming, sometimes even watering). Come to think it a few of our neighbors said they have heated driveways and a house that is almost done has a heated driveway being put in.

I don't consider myself to be lazy. I'm athletically active, I get straight As in school, and I mow my own 2.5 acres of lawn. I don't think I could handle snowblowing every driveway in my neighborhood, most of the driveways are at least 80yrd long and thats takes a while to snowblow. Multiply that by 14 houses and thats a lot of work- by the time I finsihed 5 houses the first 2 houses I snowblowed would already have a lot of snow back on it, durring a snow storm.
  17. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    I'm 16 and in a band.. we get paid more and more.. but we save that money.. we're really close to being signed. For me, I just make websites. I do high-profile sites for like $500 each.. so I make around $300-500 a week.
  18. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2005
    i have to agree with haiggy, working as a wiater is easy and good money. I worked as a waiter for a couple of summers and the money is unbelievable. You can easily make $40-50/ hour. Just make sure you work in a good restaurant, ( or you could get a job as a busboy, they also get tips). Hopefully, my next job wil be as a bartender. but,... there isn't a better job than your own business.