Job ideas for a graduating law student

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by floriflee, May 8, 2006.

1. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

So people often say that having a law degree will open a lot of doors for you even if you don't want to be a lawyer. Well, the hubby doesn't want to be a lawyer, and I'm (okay, we are) just wondering what he can do with his law degree (with a Poli Sci undergrad) now that he's graduating.

Anyway, we have a few ideas with what can be done, but would be interested in getting others' input. Assume location is not an issue.

Thanks, in advance! :)

2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

well my dad is a lawyer, went straight into private practice and loves it. You really need to know what you love doing, being in corporate or gov't law you will be pushing a lot more numbers.

There is plenty of accounting opportunites being a lawyer, lots of numbers to crunch...

You can work for a firm, but you're kind of the low man on the totem pole for a long time, lorded around by the big wigs, you do have a more stable income but seriously, its what you want in life, are you both motivated enough to make it work? If not, forget it. But if you do, it should be commited, and a long lasting decision, like anything, its what you put into it that you get out, it can be very rewarding. good luck

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There is always an honorable profession. Piano player in a whorehouse... :) Yeah, I know old joke.

Politics is an option.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd still sit for the bar.

Anyway, just about anything for any company really - law is a really diverse and intertwined discipline.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

How did I know this thread would appear?

I am just feeling a little down since I haven't reallt had any luck finding work for after graduation. I've looked inside and outside the law, at non-profits, corporations, firms, and government. I sort of feel like I just don't fit in anywhere. It does get a bit depressing, and I notice that after I get excited about a job and feel like I have a chance...BAM. And then I stop caring again. I think part of it is that I went straight through from undergrad to law school and haven't HAD to find employment before. Eh.

Gary's right - I need to just sit for the bar and things may start to look up after. We will see what happens though...It's a good thing that I've got a really wonderful (if annoyingly persistant) wife. I'd probably stop caring and end up a hermit in my parents' basement for the rest of my life.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Space man, FastFood anything, politics, sales, medicine (I know a dr that was a lawer), move to bangalor and give help in english, domestic engineer.

Seriously, law touches everything (remember the scene with Pacino and Keanu R. in The Devils Advocate) the law is the back stage pass to everything.

8. Queso macrumors G4

He could become one of the supervillians down at the RIAA. That way he earns a living, AND gets to make grannies and small children miserable too.

9. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

I guess a corollary question to the comments about law being intertwined with everything is this: when applying for jobs outside the legal and political fields, how do you show that you are qualified with a law degree?

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of a technical or financial job since the hubby is good with math, technology, and analysis. His legal experience alone doesn't really show that he has the rest of the qualifications that the job requires. I suppose he could do a functional resume in that case, but I just wonder if there is more to be done to help him get a leg up in the whole job-searching process.

Having done the job search while jobless myself I have an idea of how tedious it can be, but I've always searched for positions within my field (computers and/or tech support) so I have little advice to give to him if he plans to search outside the directly political or legal arena. We're not too concerned about him having to start with an entry-level position, but I do wonder about the best ways to get his foot in the right doors. Advice on maximizing while streamlining his job search in cases like this is definitely appreciated.

I suppose I worry about this now because I'm thinking of all those student loans we'll have to pay come November (or whenever we consolidate), and I feel like it's going to come sooner than we think. That's going to put a pinch on our finances if it's just me working. We've been fine so far--even been able to pay the higher interest ones down with my salary and his temporary part-time work, but I, personally, don't like the uncertainty of paying from just my salary with everything else we have on our plate (rising energy costs, planning for kids, rent--wanting to buying a house, etc, etc, etc). It's just not the most pleasant of situations, as I'm sure most of you know, and it's one that I would like remedied sooner rather than later. Perhaps, that's just me being selfish and too much of a worrywart. Anyway, enough rambling for now (but it did feel a bit good to get that off my chest).

10. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

A B.A. in poly-sci combined w/ a JD (and since he hasn't yet taken the Bar) is pretty damn marketable in Public Affairs or Public Relations. Exactly what level of employment will really depend on his previous level of work experience. The DC area will be a job seekers dream come the mid-terms. But it will really depend on what he wants to do for work. The resume will get him the interviews, the moot courrt exp will probably ace the interviews.

If all else fails he could become the world most over qualified manager @ Fourbucks. :eek:

11. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I place attorneys for a living. When you get your bar results, at least here in TX, you will be more marketable (I am assuming you will pass). Also, you should have done a clerkship somewhere. Visit with those folks about opportunities they might know of.

Also, most people just send a coverletter and resume. I would encourage you to make follow up phone calls, and visit with hiring managers over the phone. You have to be different than the other 200 resumes they are receiving daily. That way, you will stand out.

Give law a chance, don't write it off so quickly. IP and Real Estate is picking up nationwide, so you might want to look at that type of position.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

You sound like my wife with all the follow up calls and such. That is one thing that has kept me motivated in the job search, since it forces people to at least look at my resume.

I really wasn't planning on practicing for a long time, and the thought of a clerkship horrified me. Looking back, it might have been a good way to stall in finding a job and would have been some experience. If you don't mind my asking, what is the market like in where you are in TX? There are a lot of opportunities here in DC, but sometimes I feel like the market is oversaturated.

I have looked into IP, and I think I would really enjoy it. The hardest part is trying to get my foot in the door. Unfortunately, nothing on my resume says IP. I know that if I put some time into developing my trademark/copyright skills something will eventually open up. I've got the future figured out, just not the present. :)

By the way, if anybody has time, I would appreciate some suggestions regarding my resume. My current struggle is trying to get all the material to either take up one page or work well on two pages. But, I am currently in that limbo where it is too long, but not long enough...

13. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I would be happy to look at your resume, you could email me at work at
    ryan [at] legaljobnet [dot] com. I might make a few suggestions for you.

In Texas, graduating attorneys are facing the same struggle. Although I do not typically place new attorneys (most firms and corporations will not pay fees to services like ours for new attorneys), the ones finding employment with a decent salary are the attorneys who made good grades or went to a top tier school.

For instance, Texas Wesleyan Law School is here (in Fort Worth), but not a top school. One might find employment, but unless you are in the top 10%, the salary is not going to justify the hard work you put in the last three to four years.

If you went to SMU, however, and were in the top half, you might find a better paying job.

______

I read the thread in more detail.....you might try IP, but typically for a top firm they are going to look for an undergrad in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science. However, that should not deter you from pursuing the field. There are still many good firms in which to apply for IP, and it is a booming industry right now. Most new attorneys here are just trying to find employment, regardless of practice area.