Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
California
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on my conundrum.

I'm five weeks from completing my MBA, my undergraduate was in information systems... I head a department in higher education computer sales, primarily Apple (90% of my sales are in Apple). I've shown a 50% growth in specifically their sales over the past year... I love their products and avidly promote them in and out of work. I've converted entire departments from PC to Apple. I'm not a total nerd, either. I have a happy, busy life outside of work -- just in case anyone thinks I do nothing but sit in front of a computer. :)

My resume reflects everything relevant that I just said.

For the life of me, I can't get a call back from Apple. I want to work for their sales department. I've been in my position for a little over two years... I'm in my early 20's. I'm willing to relocate up north (I'm in California) or to Texas. Heck, I'd pay for my own relocation. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong. I think I could sell myself to them well enough -- if I could get a call back. lol

I just don't get it. There are a few of their sales descriptions that I read that are almost 100% what I already do. I must be doing something wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on my conundrum.

I'm five weeks from completing my MBA, my undergraduate was in information systems... I head a department in higher education computer sales, primarily Apple (90% of my sales are in Apple). I've shown a 50% growth in specifically their sales over the past year... I love their products and avidly promote them in and out of work. I've converted entire departments from PC to Apple. I'm not a total nerd, either. I have a happy, busy life outside of work -- just in case anyone thinks I do nothing but sit in front of a computer. :)

My resume reflects everything relevant that I just said.

For the life of me, I can't get a call back from Apple. I want to work for their sales department. I've been in my position for a little over two years... I'm in my early 20's. I'm willing to relocate up north (I'm in California) or to Texas. Heck, I'd pay for my own relocation. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong. I think I could sell myself to them well enough -- if I could get a call back. lol

I just don't get it. There are a few of their sales descriptions that I read that are almost 100% what I already do. I must be doing something wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

No offense, but they don't like people who are overly crazy and obsessed with Macs.

Also, are you talking about an Apple retail store? I hope not...

scann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
California
No offense, but they don't like people who are overly crazy and obsessed with Macs.

Also, are you talking about an Apple retail store? I hope not...

No offense taken. I'm definitely not talking retail. I'm talking about their Inside Sales department.

I switched over to Mac two years ago. I spent my entire undergraduate and the rest of my life on PC's and I'm not obsessed... it's just that my current job IS to do the best I can selling their product. I deal with Sonys, Dells, Lenovos, Acers, etc.,... as well.... and I need to know their product just as well -- I'm just not as interested in working for their respective companies.

My product knowledge stems from the fact that I need to be up to date to know what I need to be buying and how to sell it and in what quantities and to figure out how to best market for the time that we're in. That's all. Outside of work I don't sit on various forums drooling over their product and I don't sit in crazy long lines for hours to see the latest store or to buy the newest product.

I love what they do and how innovative they are. One of my coworkers (that doesn't deal with computers) drives a car he's named the AppleBox (literally - license plate says that) and has Apple stickers all over his car.

That's definitely not me. Sorry if I came off that way... but maybe that's the problem, so I'll look over my resume/cover letter. Thanks.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
No offense taken. I'm definitely not talking retail. I'm talking about their Inside Sales department.

I switched over to Mac two years ago. I spent my entire undergraduate and the rest of my life on PC's and I'm not obsessed... it's just that my current job IS to do the best I can selling their product. I deal with Sonys, Dells, Lenovos, Acers, etc.,... as well.... and I need to know their product just as well -- I'm just not as interested in working for their respective companies.

My product knowledge stems from the fact that I need to be up to date to know what I need to be buying and how to sell it and in what quantities and to figure out how to best market for the time that we're in. That's all. Outside of work I don't sit on various forums drooling over their product and I don't sit in crazy long lines for hours to see the latest store or to buy the newest product.

I love what they do and how innovative they are. One of my coworkers (that doesn't deal with computers) drives a car he's named the AppleBox (literally - license plate says that) and has Apple stickers all over his car.

That's definitely not me. Sorry if I came off that way... but maybe that's the problem, so I'll look over my resume/cover letter. Thanks.

I get what you mean. The reason I was so direct is that there are lots of threads on working at their "Retail" stores and I've been at MR so long and I've realized from other peoples' posts that Apple does not want an Apple geek working for them at retail stores. Apparently they prefer people who know nothing about Macs and learn everything from them...and not the other way around. The problem is that Apple has such hardcore fans that will do anything to "convert" people and that's really not what they want. I mean yes, they want you to switch from Mac to PC, but they don't want to hire a crazy psycho Mac-guy.

In terms of their internal sales...I don't know anything about that. Your best bet would be (same as with any other job) to submit a respectable cover letter and CV, detailing your specific qualifications and reasons why you would be a good member of their team. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.