Job Interview Etiquette?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Celeron, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    Here's the situation. I'm currently going through the first stages of the interview process with a rather large networking company. I already spoke with an individual on the phone about a potential position. At the close of our conversation he said he needed to speak with a few people and that he would be back in touch. I told him that I was going to be out of town for a week or so and gave him my cell number so he could contact me. All seemed well and good.

Now I'm out of town and away from my apartment phone. On a whim yesterday I asked my roommate if I got an calls at the apartment and he told me that some guy from the company called late last week, on Friday or Saturday. He told the guy I was out of town and figured he would call my cell phone so he didn't bother to mention it to me. How convenient. The guy never called me on my cell phone.

So I call him yesterday, there's no answer so I leave a voice mail. I didn't hear back from him. Here's where my question comes in. Do I call him again today to try to get a hold of him, or do I give him a few days to get back to me?
  2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
  3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    i'd suggest calling him tomorrow and leaving another voicemail if you don't catch him live. set up a good "every other day" pattern for the next week until he calls you back. if he doesn't call you back after that, then it's not a good sign. in your messages, just simply state you were trying to return his call from last week when you were out of town, describe your availability for the next day or so, and that you hope to talk to him soon. nothing more or else it sounds too pushy.

i've worked in hr for 9 years now, and recruiting has always been a part of my job. i've been annoyed by the too-persistent candidates who call constantly and state that they NEED a call back as soon as possible, or that they know that they are perfectly qualified for the job and must have an interview with the company. candidates who are polite and consistent are the ones i pay attention to. i'd interviewed a candidate for a position a few months ago, but then we had a hiring freeze. he kept calling and e-mailing periodically just to state he was still interested and he would be happy to provide any more information on his qualifications. when our freeze lifted, he was one of the first candidates that came to mind because he'd been staying in touch with me regularly, and we hired him.

bottom line - be polite and never sound irritated that you didn't get a call back when you expected (or something else that you wanted).

hope that helps!
  4. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    Thanks, that sounds like pretty sound advice! I don't know if its good or bad, but I've already worked for this particular company, at the same location, supporting the individual I spoke with on the phone. He's not in HR, but rather he's in a technical position. I think I'll call on Monday because I think he is out this week.

Thanks again!
  5. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    I hate it when you go in for a job interview and they say that they will call you back and they never do. Then you call them a week after the interview to see if they are still looking for somebody and they say that they will get back to you. This happened to me a couple times when I was applying for a low level summer job. I don't care if they call me back and say that they found someone else I just want to know if I got the job or not.