Job

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spock, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

My Son has just put His two week notice. I wanted to get some input on this, he satarted working a Year and a half ago and was a replacment to a kid that was fired for stealing. Well recently the person that got fired was rehired right before a hour reduction due to poor sales so he went from 20-25 Hours a week down to about 17-19 hours a week and the new guy has about 8 hours a week. Well one day he comes in and he and his Co-Worker have 10 hours and the new guy has 27 hours. So they went and talked to the manager about the Hours and was told it was that he did better at His job and they stink. Well I have seen my Sons work and it is almost perfect and has had compliments about His work. I have seen alot of faviritism going around and am curios if we can take legal action. Thanks for Your input

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well nothing the manager did is really illegal in this situation as far as I can tell (but i'm not attorney). It sucks for you son that hes getting the shaft like this in a job that he's been doing for a year and a half but sadly stuff like this happens. Its not illegal to promote your favorites or give the people you think do a better job more hours. If i was managing a small place, I wouldn't trust someone I caught stealing but its that managers judgement to make and risk to take.

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Most jobs like that (retail, right?) have a policy of firing/quitting no reason is needed. If his employment is "at will" then there is no case. I would encourage him to move on to something else. Is it really worth stressing your family with a lawsuit?

PS I'm not a lawyer.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Spock

Is it really worth it to work for a guy who treats his employees like this?

It may be a blessing.

5. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

tinpot generals..........

don't bother reaching for the lawyers, it'll cost you a mint win or lose.

just chalk it up to experience and tell your boy to find another gig.

i know it sux to have to pander to morons (hey, i used to work for News Limited......), but they are one of the constants in life unfortunatly.

it's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys....... :)

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

If you soon is good he should go on and ask for a good recomendation letter. Hey, there are plenty of jobs out there.

Right now I have a problem with a client because he is asking me to do things for a favor! that mean for free!

I can get stuck giving him the benefit of the doubt but... go to hell! I have other clients paying me more and talking less about "if this one work we are going to have a lot more later on".

Any way, is not you soul mate you are loosing, is a stinky job after all. Is better to put the ego on a side and keep going. Any way is going to hapen soon or later.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

A different perspective.

I think that you may need to take a step back and look at things from a different angle. Everyone likes to think their children in the best possible light. That said it maybe be true that the new persons work is better than the others. It was the managers job to do what he thought best.

Th reall question is why would they hire someone back after they had stolen from them. I guess a 2nd chance was in order.

8. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

work harder

tell your son to work even harder and get more compliments on his work and he will inevitably be given more hours because the manager wants to make more money... he may be a good worker, but the other guy might be better (only when he isnt stealing)... but the manager cannot ignore great work... its the american way

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very sorry to hear about you son's situation Spock. I agree with others that there is nothing illegal, though I'm not a lawyer. It would be expensive to hire a lawyer. He should definitely keep this job until he finds another first. Favoritism is normal. Has he tried to discuss the situation with his manager?