1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Jobless Claims for Benefits Reach a High Set in 1983

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 12, 2003.

1. macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. macrumors newbie

Why am I not surprised? Corporate profitability has been on a downhill slide for decades.

Once the rest of the developed world started rebuilding its manufacturing infrastructure after WW II, and other previously-undeveloped countries started building their own (India, China, e.g.), our position of supremacy came to jeopardy.

IMO, it doesn't matter what any administration does, or what Congress does: It's gonna get a good bit worse before it gets better...

'Rat

3. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I just got a new job.

Of course, four people including the President and VP were laid off to create the one new job in the wake, but I still got a salaried job. Oh, I guess that's why the unemployment is so high.

- 4 +1 = -3 new jobs

or you could use Bushaccounting, which would give you:

(-4)-1 = 4 new jobs -- yay for tax cuts!!

4. macrumors regular

My new job pays 60% of what my old one did. My pay cut makes up for my smaller tax cut.

5. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

notice a pattern here?

hmmmm, jobless rate highest since 1983.....

so who was in office then?

reagan and poppa bush.

just another coincidence i'm sure.:rolleyes:

6. Moderator emeritus

That does not include all the other people who are ineligible for unemployment benefits. It's starting to look like the 1970s.

7. macrumors member

Were you alive in the 1970s?

8. macrumors G4

bousozoku was born in 1959, and you?

9. macrumors member

Let's just say I'm old enought to remember when CDs weren't used to store data and they were paying as high as 13 -14 percent. Interest rates and inflation make today look very much unlike the 1970s. Perhaps someone has forgotten in his old age! ;)

10. Moderator emeritus

I think you don't remember the gas rationing, the constant manfacturing layoffs (esp. auto companies), and all the people on welfare.

11. macrumors member

Is there gas rationing today? (no) Are welfare rolls down? (yes). Are auto companies laying off massive numbers? (not sure). It's looking less and less like the 1970s.

12. macrumors regular

Hooray! We don't have feathered hair! 2.5 million jobs lost in 2 years is OK!

13. macrumors member

Electric disco and wide ties.
    Frightening. :eek:

14. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Folks

The economists were ecpecting this. With all of the news that the economy is finally ready to turn around, there will be a rush of unemployed filing.

Remember, this is a statistic, and as bousozoku mentions, it counts neither those ineligible, or not looking.

So try to take this statistic with a tempered view.

15. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The economic problems we have now are nothing like the '70s, but they are no less serious on account of that.