Jobs and Robespierre...connection?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jamesi, Apr 26, 2006.

1. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

This prolly only applies to history fanatics but....

Does anyone see the correlation between Steve Jobs and Robespierre?
    In that, Robespierre essentially became the French Revolution and Steve Jobs is the same way with Apple computer. id rather see if anyone posts something before i keep talking.

cheers

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Now that you mention it - yeah, it does sorta seem that way, doesn't it. :confused:

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Umm, the French Revolution was an ideological movement, in which Robespierre went overboard and enforced it violently. Apple Computer is a company that was co-founded by Steve Jobs, kicked Jobs out, and then got him back as CEO. How are they related at all? :confused:

I honestly can't think of anyway in which they're related, even distantly.

And by the way, I'm a history major.

4. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi

lol oh no the history major has spoken. i enjoyed the brief recap you gave about the revolution and apple's history but that wasnt what i was going for. im strictly talking about the two men themselves.

As the french revolution proceeded, Robespierre came to associate himself more and more with the essence of the conflict at hand. In the revolutions worst years, Robespierre was often noted to speak of an illness he acquired, he said that his life was not interwoven with the revolution. through the massacres and even the terror, Robespierre defended these acts b/c he was convinced that they were needed for the revolution to really come to fruition. i believe Robespierre compromised himself to become this greater cause, and went to extreme lengths to excuse the revolution and allow it to proceed uncontrolled. extreme? yes. but i feel robespierre really did come to represent the cause and errors that were the revolution

now i say robespierre and jobs are alike b/c jobs seems to be apples own "personal representative". Like robespierre, jobs is known for being difficult to work for. strictly b/c jobs refused to compromise the goal of apple in any way, and robespierre did the same by excuses the murders. the two characters persist in thier cause and like wise meet opposition from within thier own cabinet. thats some of what i think

oh and btw im a history major two, well double major with biochem.cheers

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yeah...I'm no history major, but I am a student of AP European History and...

...Robespierre = bad. You think the French would invite Robespierre back after he was gone 5 years? No. I hope Jobs isn't guillotined!!! :rolleyes: :D

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I still don't think that the two are that similar, although I do see what you're saying now. Robespierre became the French Revolution, whereas I think it's more that Apple Computers became Steve Jobs. Robespierre wouldn't do anything to compromise the Revolution, whereas Jobs has to do everything his way.

The Revolution was an ideology, so one could subscribe oneself to its inerrancy. Apple Computers is a company and has no ideology. Jobs cannot believe that Apple Computers is inerrant because Apple Computers is whatever he makes of it. Instead, Jobs, if he believes in the inerrancy of anything, believes in the inerrancy of himself.

EDIT: You know, I probably should mention that I haven't done French history since high school, so... If you have any comparisons of Apple Computers to, say, Eastern Europe between 500 and 1800 or the Byzantine Empire, I'd be much better at responding. :D

7. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i think he was somewhat necessary in the early stages of the revolution but its just so disapointing how he didnt use his power as he should. not that he played the dictator (altho there is a clique of historians who do believe so) but that he didnt stop the atrocities around him.

8. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I get what you mean, but I don't think it's the best analogy. ;)
    First Jobs has to massacre thousands of people?? :confused: :eek:

Yeah, see the difference? :p

But I do get it's basis... not a bad thought, in the regard you mentioned. :)

9. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

He caused the atrocities.
    He almost seemed to become his worst nightmare. He's very intriguing.

Oh, btw, am I the only one that thinks that there is a very find line between dictatorship and communism? :eek:

10. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi

11. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi

lol no you are the only one who thinks there is a fine line between communism and a dictatorship. i mentioned that it could be argued that robespierre became a dictator b/c its entirely plausible (tho i dont think so) and many historians have written about it.

12. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi

yummy, i love those years. hmm i cant think of any real comparisons between the byzantine empire and apple computers but wouldnt that be cool. i think apple has an ideology b/c of jobs. i miss the old commericals from apple that were all about doing great things and furthering human development....unfortunately all we get nowadays are the most redundant ipod commercials. what school do you go to?

hmmmm byzantine empire....

13. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Maybe you could liken the Terror to the mass take over of the MP3 industry with the iPod. :D

Sorry, but I really fail to see any connection between the two. Robespierre may have become the Revolution and Steve may have become Apple, but the connection ends there.

14. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi

thats actually my point, that the two became thier works, their passions. im not trying to say the two are the same on any other level. no need to apologize either lol

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Understood. ;)

In that way you have a point. You could probably add Bill Gates and others into the mix as well.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Only if we can "accidentally" misunderstand and send Gates to the guillotine :D

17. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm at Georgetown. What about you?

18. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi