Jobs called a 'shi'ite Muslim' by Disney

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hvfsl, Dec 2, 2003.

1. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    According to MacWorld UK, one of the Disney Execs called Steve Jobs a 'shi'ite Muslim'. Disney are having a lot of problems at the moment, with the last living relative of Walt Disney being forced out of the company.

Does anyone know if SJ really is a Muslim, or was the Disney Exec just being abusive?
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Ha, not just any Disney exec....Eisner himself....of course he denies it, but you can get more about it here...

Eisner's not handling this very well....and with Pixar planning on doing 2D animation as well there is going to be a huge shift in the animation world.

I just hope Pixar doesn't plan on opening any theme parks.....

3. hvfsl thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    A Pixar theme park might be fun, maybe they could do lots of VR stuff. A bit like the Star Wars ride at Disney Land, but better. :D
  4. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Re: Jobs called a 'shi'ite Muslim' by Disney Exec

Don't know. Don't think so...would it matter if he was?
  5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    Well are we gonna let Disney call our wonderful ceo names?Names taht are not true. If he is then its ok, but calling him somethind he is then....Oh Wait.....
  6. hvfsl thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    Re: Re: Jobs called a 'shi'ite Muslim' by Disney Exec

Not really, I just thought he was an old Hippy, that didnt really believe in anything. Although it might cause problems for Apple as there is a lot of anti-muslim feeling going around at the moment.
  7. dcoltonbrown macrumors member

Jul 29, 2003
    I always thought Steve Jobs was a terrorist! Now we know who is attacking Microsoft with viruses. J/K

I don't think you can really judge Eisner's statement without hearing it in full context. I mean, he could have said something like: "Steve Jobs and other Pixar execs are like Shiite Muslims...they are extremely dedicated to their cause." But...I guess it would be pretty easy to assume that Eisner probably isn't the biggest Jobs/ Pixar fan.

Who knows!
  8. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    He should be careful as Pixar's are the only decent animated films Disney puts out. The rest are garbage. Pixar is near the end of their deal with Disney...they'll be free agents soon.
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The old saying might apply, it take one to know one. Eisner should take a good look in the mirror. Hopefully Eisner will resign for the good of the company. Disney needs to return to the roots of its founder. Maybe Steve could purchase just the Disney part of the company.
  10. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    Jobs is not a Muslim.
    If he is anything, he's Buddist.
  11. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

May 26, 2003
    Chicago area
    Good things happen to people who Eisner dislikes.

Gregg Easterbrook got canned from after going after Eisner, and he's now at

Before that, Mr. Katzenberg walked away from his tiff with Eisner several hundred million dollars richer.

So we should hope for Steve's sake that Eisner really did say that about Jobs.
  12. chaos86 macrumors 65816

Sep 11, 2003
    for the record:

only 18% of the muslim world are arabs and only an estimated 10% of arabs are hostile to christians, jews, etc.
    that means approx. 1.8% of muslims are hostile to us white folk and how many of them do you really think are living outside the middle east.

bottom line:
    hatred toward muslims is misguided. it would be like hating all computer users because you hate mac users (2%).
  13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    "Jobs called a 'shi'ite Muslim' by Disney"

That doesn't even make sense.
  14. ddbean macrumors regular

Sep 17, 2003
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Since most of you didn't know the context, here is a quote of a second hand quote

"In hour-long interview with LA TIMES on Monday departing DISNEY board members Disney and Gold -- Gold claims 'Eisner called him and others -- including Pixar Chairman Steve Jobs -- 'Shiite Muslims.' Gold took that to mean that Eisner believed his critics were extreme in their views. A company spokeswoman said Eisner 'categorically denies' calling anyone a 'Shiite Muslim.' LA TIMES editors will not publish the 'Shiite' claim from Gold, newspaper sources tell DRUDGE. 'We didn't have solid enough grounds to put the statement in the newspaper,' Business Editor, Rick Wartzman, explained late Monday"

Full articel here
  15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Very Extremem indeed.

'We produce the movies, we want more money back...'

Steve go somewhere else...
  16. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    eisner has a proven history of mean-spirited name calling...

he admited under oath ( after many pre-trial denials) of calling jeff katzenburg " the little midget"...

katzenburg is no saint but it tickled me pink to see him get his estimated 250 million dollar settlement from disney.

i guess the rule is: screw your staff, screw your talent and screw your vendors but don't screw your executives.

there's a special place in hell( where it plays " it's a small world", nonstop) for eisner, katzenburg and a few other choice execs.
  17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    If it's true, it was just the least bit discriminatory, wasn't it? Now another reason not to like Eisner.
  18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Cox Communications wants to drop ESPN from the regular broadcasting channels if Disney doesn't cave in on prices.

Right now the cable networks are the big cash cows for Disney, and they're furiously milking these things dry to increase revenues.

And it's getting too be to expensive for cable companies and consumers who don't like the perpetual rate inceases.