jobs/careers

Discussion in 'Community' started by howard, Mar 11, 2003.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

was just curious about everybodys jobs. What is it that you guys do for a living?

i'm a student and i study music.

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Graphic Designer...Photographer...Producer...

I'm a production artist for a print company, do freelance design on the side, freelance photographer & co-founder of www.thefotohauscom, co-producing a new low-budget series targeted at the New Orleans market...

I should put in my title "Miracle Worker" at my job...heh

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'm a student and uh I'm majoring in 'failing' ;)

4. job macrumors 68040

job

i'm a high school student currently in all A.P. classes with a 4.0. I also run and swim on the varsity level.

I'll be lifeguarding this summer at 7.50 an hour (min 5~6 hours per day.) I will also be teaching a 2 hour swim class 3 times a week for small kids at 9.50 an hour.

Most of the money will go to restoring my old Beetle, but a select amount will go to a new tower and LCD. :D

5. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I'm an economics and finance consultant in his mid-20's with a typical yuppie lifestyle (minus the BMW and the designer clothes). I had majored in History and minored in Asian Studies in college, but I'm now studying to become a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and maybe earn a MBA in the future.

I'm not a "techie" by any stretch of the imagination, but I am interested in computers and programming. I also recently became a Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) after my friend practically dared me to take the test. I plan to continue my foray into programming by becoming a Sun Certified Web Components Developer (SCWCD) in the very near future.

BTW, I'm also a recent switcher who returned back to the Mac camp after abandoning it for six years after high school. :D

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have a gardening landscaping business (since '89) and a pc computer repair business (since '99) and i have been taking college or grad school classes since 1980...but mostly for fun these days in computer or art related fields

when i retire, i want to teach people computers for the sheer joy of watching people improve their lives with technology...and it doesn't have to be mac, either (but that would be the preferred platform):p

7. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Cs major, interior trim carpenter when not in school (waiting for that job with apple :D :) ).

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I am a student, and I eat ramen noodles... a lot of ramen noodles.

Oh, and I like computers.

I plan to go into semiconductor manufacturing.

9. vniow macrumors G4

10. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

you'll do very well in your college years scem0 :)

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm a 'production project manager of corporate communications" at an insurance administration company. lots of fun... it was a temp to hire bit, and even tho their budget is frozen they're thinking of taking me on perm. which would mean a BIG raise and some new Apple equipment :)

pnw

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

congrats...remember to live within your means

yeah right, huh;)

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Me

Im a freshman in highschool.

I work Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and sometimes on weekends as an Umpire for baseball games. Its cool. I get 30$ a game. Sometimes there are double headers. If I do it on a weekend, for a tournament, I get 30$ an hour. I make about 120-150 dollars on Tournament weekends.

New job, its pretty good pay too for me.

14. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Computer programmer.

I'm part of the new Apple core constituency that switched to Mac because of OS X. A Unix that runs Microsoft Office, Intuit Quicken, etc. and works great with peripherals. Gotta love it.

Working on my MBA part-time now though. Kids, if you're wondering what career to get into I don't recommend software engineering, especially working as a computer consultant. All the work is getting outsourced to India. Just as blue-collar jobs moved overseas in the 70's and 80's, now we're seeing white collar jobs like computer programming being outsourced. It's simple economics: India has a huge surplus of people with advance computer and engineering degrees and good English skills, and they're willing to work for $20K (and that's about the most they'd get, if they have a PHD and have a senior position).

For someone like me that's more established the outsourcing won't affect me as much, but for a kid coming out of school it's going to be brutal.

15. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Dude, what's a twankie?

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'm currently a guinea pig for sleeping disorder testing. But when i'm awake, i pretend to be creative director of my lil' freelance company.

It's a lot of work, and probably the reason i have problems with the sleepiness. but hell.

i also help eye with thefotohaus.com so i guess you could say i'm a photographer. but i'd hesitate to call myself that.

i really sometimes think i should go back to academia and become a psychologist like i originally planned....

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a lot of fields in the white collar field in medicine, business (especially consulting/accounting), and almost any white collar job you can think of can and will be outsourced

thanks to our friend the internet

high tech is looking worse and worse by the day but the field will eventually jump out of its slump...the most optomistic predictions are for a turn around after three years...i hope so

i am amazed at how much computer talent there is in china, india, and russia

it took some time for some of the poorer countries to catch up but while some of america's best and brightest computer geeks were obsessed with the latest and coolest computer game...some third work computer geek could not afford a game, but there was always coding to pass the time away

and in the computer hardware field, a lot of jobs were lost from america years ago

18. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Network Engineer for Carnegie Mellon University. I keep everyone connected to the Internet, except for the ones who get caught being bad. I get to smack their connection down. Currently I am working with a small group redesigning their entire network of routers and switches.

19. iGav macrumors G3

art direction
    compositing
    design
    dv
    interactive
    lecturing
    lover
    motion graphics
    post production
    print

;) :)

20. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I'm an Art Director. But i am seriously thinking about switching fields, and becoming a cop.

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Senior lecturer is Music/audio technology, recording engineer and producer for 15 years before that, Mac fanatic and Aikido black-belt (yes, that's a vocation):D

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

no way!!!! :eek:

psychology would be...so...

how many psychologists have a use for a DSLR?!?! :D

23. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I am a computer programmer on the Windows platform and I'm also worried about my job going overseas. The large company that I work for is consolidating its many development centers into a few and luckily, where I'm at is one area where the development centers are being consolidated. But, other development centers are being redirected overseas because of it's cheaper.

I don't know what I'll do if they decide to close my shop in a few years. Maybe I'll try welfare.

24. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

I'm a private broker, researching and managing all types of stocks for a investment company. In addition to NYSE, I also hunt down real estate. I also manage the Extreme Sport line of a large glove manufacturer.

I don't have formal training with fixing computers, but I make sure the company's hardware is running perfectly, server and all. To say the least, I spend a lot of time with tech support. In the past two months I have bought (for the company) two 17in iMacs, 5 2.4 Dell systems, 3 HP all-in-one's, and the most insane 4 19in screen monitor set-up from 9X Media .

My boss will have the best trading system

Chad4Mac

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I do a bit of everything, design, photography, illustration, web. The design and illustration is mostly 3D and once in a while I do some animation, not enough though.

D