Jobs disprespecting Jef Raskin

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LucasLand, Feb 28, 2005.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

The creator of the mac interface just passed away and no mention or honoring him on apple's main page. That is sad.

But when tap dancer Gregory Hines died, his picture was on the main page of the apple website.

I love apple computers, but Steve Jobs is weak.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I don't think its disrespecting. Raskin left Apple on bad terms, and continued to bad mouth Apple on what he thought of the GUI, especially OS X. So Apple is in no way needs to devote a spot on their website to him. It would be best if Apple could barry the hatchet and do it, which they might in a few days with maybe more than just one page about the man. You never know, it could be something else that is keeping a site from being constructed in his name at Apple.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Even a simple press release honoring the contribution that Raskin made to the success of Apple would have been nice to see.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

He was with Apple for 4 years, didn't stay to complete the Mac project (due to friction with Jobs) and has been out of Apple completely for 23 years. I'm not sure I get what you are saying.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think (based on the news reports I have heard) is that Raskin was the "father" of the Macintosh as we know it. The truth may lie somewhere in between.

In the end Jobs sealed his future obit and Apple by coming back, and by most accounts saving Apple from being a footnote in computer history.

There are some, myself included, that would have liked to see some nod from Apple and/or Jobs on Raskin's untimely passing, and what he gave to what has helped make Apple to some degree what it is today.

6. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I agree.

Come on Steve, the guy died. Even if you didn't like him, it would be good business to release something, and show some respect.

7. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Rest in Peace, Jef Raskin.

With that stated, this rest of this is not an attempt to attack Raskin, rather to show the direction of his ideas and a few other things.

Jef Raskin gave the basic idea of a computer that was cheap and easy to use as a toaster, along with renaming the project from Annie to Macintosh. Beyond that the modern Macintosh bears little or no resemblance to his ideals and original project goals and thus I must disagree with his naming as "Father of the Macintosh."

When Raskin was forced out of Apple he did end up releasing a version of his original idea, the Canon Cat.

Jef Raskin's Macintosh
    [​IMG]

The Cat was innovative in the sense that all data was seen as a long "stream" of text broken into several pages and was manipulated via special keys. It was not just a word processing machine, it included many functions to send data through an internal modem, program the Cat, etc.

Which is better? That's up to you. :)

8. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

(Opinion only) With all due respect

With all due respect, Apple has greatly changed since Jef Raskin left Apple, yeah he did influence the company and the products, but for the last couple of decades, he's also been disrespecting Apple and in turn Jobs... for the Mac-Community around the web, it is nice to know what's going on with early producer's, engineer's, programmers, and others who helped make the original Mac, that has evolved into what we know and love today... But as far as Apple posting on their site, it's not needed...

No disrespect to the man or others in the mac community that are out-raged, that Apple has not posted a dedication or memory page,...

It would be a good gesture, but again it's not needed.

(Please don't take any offense...)

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man, that sure looks like the Apple Lisa!