Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Seriously,

Now that I think about this, it makes total sense that this would happen. Since Steve Jobs has come back, he's gotten rid of any legacy of the previous Apple regime. The Newton was killed. The clones were killed. And now, the PPC is killed.

The whole foundation of OS X was the NeXT system and that IIRC ran on x86 hardware. It make sense that they've been working on the x86 version of OS X all along. I think we all believed the rumors as early as 2 years ago, but we all bought into the PPC hype.

Now that it's obvious that Apple's PPC partners aren't willing/capable of producing faster PPCs for Apple, Jobs made the executive decision.

I remember back during the initial 68k to PPC transition, I opined that Apple should have made the change to Intel over IBM/Moto. It was the only way to ensure equal footing when compared to Windows and Intel. Alas, Apple chose the other path.

Of course, all of this is 20/20 hindsight.

Comments?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The NeXT cube originally had a Motorola 68020. As NeXT got out of the hardware business, they allowed OpenStep to run on 680x0, Sun, or x86.

Yes, he has had it in for the PowerPC architecture, once it started to wane. His first speeches upon returned discussed Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.