Jobs on Mac Netbooks: Not Yet, But...

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 21, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Steve Jobs was present at today's financial results conference call and answered questions during the Q&A session.

One interesting topic that came up was questions about Apple's interest in the low-cost netbook category of platform. Jobs made it clear that Apple chooses not to target the low-cost notebook market and believes it is a nascent category that will evolve.

Most interesting, however, was that Jobs hinted that if the category does evolve, Apple has "some pretty interesting ideas" about it. Jobs makes it clear that Apple is not going to be competing in this market at this time.

Article Link: Jobs on Mac Netbooks: Not Yet, But...

2. macrumors 601

DMann

Sooner than we can imagine - already to manufacture and ship, most likely. iPhone trackpad? We'll soon see.

3. macrumors 68030

princealfie

Please make this happen. The economy could use a boost from the Mac sector. I already own 2 Asus netbooks and probably will pick up a larger one with 10.4 screen. If the Macbook Air were cheaper I may have considered getting it.

4. macrumors regular

Good. IMHO netbooks are something apple should not waste their time on.

5. Guest

Another interesting thing I read from the article...

Could it be coming at macworld?

6. macrumors regular

Whats fascinating is 2 things:

1) Steve said they cant make a computer for $500 or it would be junk.
    ...so, no more mac mini? And does this mean he thinks the mac mini is junk?
    (It is $500, or so thats the price I thought I saw.) :)

2) No one asked them how their apple store could put 'new' by the 17" when it carries the same Nvidia 8600 card that has been in the news forever as being faulty? (or better yet, no one asked why they left it in.) ;)

Netbook...sure, if he sees a market, he will go for it.

He saw the consumer market is what made up 2/3 (or more if you think imac) mac sales.

So the consumers get the macbook pro if they want to use their extra gadgets: ie., Lacie double layer burner with 2 firewire ports, firewire hardrives, etc. ;)

And the macbook pro is just barely there for the hardcore pro in the field. :)
    Again, cant say enough about the lack of news about a real 17" update.

...but hey, who cares, they are thinking of a netbook - who needs pro anyway? Consumer gives them cash. :) (I understand) ;)

Peace

dAlen

edit:
    but in reality, they may just end up being a phone company from the looks of it. :)

7. macrumors 6502

I'd rather they didnt water down the product to suit to someone that has asus price and wants apple quality. "you get what you pay for?"

8. macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

No, Steve Jobs always responds this way when asked this or other similar questions.

9. macrumors 601

DMann

Sure would give 'Windows 7' a trail to chase - a mini-multi-touch tablet, larger than an iPhone, running Snow Leopard.

10. macrumors 6502

bigandtasty

11. macrumors member

The Air?

Does the Air not qualify because it's too expensive or the screen is "too big"? As per weight and other specs, it beats the competition, no?

Personally, I don't see the allure of a netbook, though I do see the allure of the Air. A client of mine has one, and my iPhone can do just about everything his 'book can. And when iWork for iPhone and Office for iPhone are released (just speculation...) it will put it over the top.

Just my 2 cents.

12. macrumors 6502

ivladster

13. macrumors 68000

Spock

Instead of a netbook I would just like to see them drop the white MacBook and lower the new AL MacBook to fill in the $999 spot. Would also be cool to see them release a $799 iMac if they drop the Mac Mini.

14. macrumors 6502a

15. macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Yeah. Well, if I remember correctly, Jobs made it clear they were not going to make a video iPod or a phone.

A year (or for that matter a quarter) is long time at Apple.

ibjoshua

16. macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't want in the netbook market. They know it will cannibalize MacBook sales. This is the same reason why they are afraid to update the Mac mini. They know it's already outselling the 20" iMacs on Amazon.

17. macrumors regular

To replace the Mac mini, Apple needs to come out with a desktop computer. A laptop cannot replace the Mac mini.

18. macrumors 601

DMann

True that - but they need something to drive a spare monitor for someone who doesn't already have one. If not, it's aftermarketsville for the rest of us.

19. macrumors 6502a

TheSlush

I'm not sure how much I buy this "nascent category" stuff. After all, Apple redefines and reinvents categories, and can even create new ones if the invention is good enough. Surely they're not bound by how "evolved" existing product categories are!

20. macrumors 68000

azentropy

Nor can a cheaper iMac... There is a significant group of users who already have their LCD's and want a desktop computer to go with it that doesn't start at > $2K

21. macrumors 65816

stagi

22. macrumors 6502

macshill

But that would provide innovation and value for the customer. Apple is not familiar w/ that concept. *rolls eyes*

23. macrumors 65816

slffl

I agree. I don't see the market for people needing something between an iPhone and the Macbook Air. Seriously, are there those of you out there that need something like that?

24. macrumors 68000

azentropy

Correct, both the price (by about 3x) and the footprint are too big to qualify as a "netbook".

25. macrumors 68000

azentropy

Most definitely YES!