Jobs on 'open' iPod

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Apr 22, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    RealNetworks' CEO made news last week when publicly asking for Apple to allow them to license Apple's Digital Rights Management format to use with their online music store. Such a license would allow Real to sell digital music downloads that would be compatible with the Apple iPod.

Cnet reports that Steve Jobs publicly dismissed such cooperation, saying "To be honest, it's just not worth it" at the annual shareholder meeting. Jobs notes that Real's music service has been "less than successful."
  2. macrumors member

Jan 31, 2004
    NW FL
    I don't know that Apple should "open" the iPod for their own good, but it would be beneficiary to the consumer and possibly sell more Ipods as well as gain trust from the public by such a open-sourcey kind of move.
  3. macrumors member

Nov 19, 2003
    Still wish Apple would open up to formats like .ogg and FLAC.
  4. Viv
    macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2003
    Normandy, France
    He called it like it is! who are real now anyway?

5. macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    Oaktown, CA
    The only reason not to do this would be if the Music Store was making money, but various peeps from Apple have said time and again that the sole purpose of the music store is to drive iPod sales. Had they opened up to Real's service, then Real could also drive iPod sales. Not necessarily a bad thing. If Real's service fails down the road, then the customers could just switch to the iTunes Music Store and still use their iPod.

-- Ben
  6. macrumors regular

Oct 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I agree that Real has been "less than successful," however, wouldn't this deal have seemed like a positive step in the right direction for AAC to overcome WMA in the legal download arena??
  7. macrumors 68040

This topic is very sticky, we want the ITMS, and iPod to grow, however we don't want them to be strangled by being a closed platform, however, we are uncertain if that is necessarily a bad thing. Maybe we need Allen Greenspan to decide this:)
  8. macrumors 601

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    i think it's not a good move.
    Maybe it's not "worth it" in the short run, but my impression is that it would have been a strategically smart move, because it would have extended the perception that Apple, unlike Microsoft, is open and that AAC/fairplay is the way to go. Hope they know better and this won't come back biting us in shaded areas
  9. macrumors 65816

May 20, 2003
    The average music listener doesn't know or care about stuff like that. They buy the music device and then go to whatever store supports it. Real brings nothing to the table.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    It's not like they can just give Real some secret code and it will all magically happen. There are complications with having a media player contain music from two separate programs yet still be integrated in the same list. It's possible that the iPod simply isn't set up to handle this. And I am sure the changes are not trivial. So then the question really is, why should we add this to the iPod when we can be working on new products?
  11. macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2003
    Realplayer sucks and it always has. I remember when I used Windows how it used to clutter the desktop with "join AOL" icons and take over all your file associations. Real was too big of an application and took too long to load.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    even though he has made mistakes before (steve) he has to know what he is talking about. plus (as said before) real is way to slow/big
  13. macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    It's actually easier to find gold than it is to find the free RealOne Player link on their website. They want your credit card # :eek:
  14. macrumors 6502a

Sep 17, 2003
    The Utah Alps
    If Apple can run all other iTunes Music Store and iPod wanna be's about 6 feet under the ground I think it if fine that they keep everything so tight under their control. However, I see this being a lot like DOS and Windows eventually winning the general market in the early days of the mac. Lots of people back then thought that Macs are great computers and really respected them but still bought the other computer. Consumers do weird things. If the iTunes music store and iPod end up like the mac is today sweet but only serving a niche then we see a repeat. I almost think that Steve thinks this is a second chance to do what the Mac should have done in the first place (rule the world).
  15. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    I think Steve is a little selfish over his iPod. This will be His un-doing.
  16. macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    it's not something that's going to get any attention, the only people that would care would be people who have a particular reason to us another service as opposed to iTunes... and frankly, how many reasons are there? Apple's made great strides in inclusiveness, getting a huge library of music, and will (hopefully!) be available internationally any time now. Their service has the famous "user friendliness" that Apple has always attracted people with. I shouldn't think more than a fraction of users would think less of Apple for this, and they're probably not going to be Apple fans to begin with.

The other reason is a bit more complicated... sony will soon be starting their own music store, which will presumably be non-iPod. Sony could pretty easily yank it's songs from iTMS, if they were competing for the same userbase. As long as Apple stays proprietary on this, their music stores never compete-- so Sony Music doesn't have a direct reason to pull out of iTMS. But if they went head-to-head, sony would be licensing it's assets to a competitor, not a good thing. Obviously Sony already competes with Apple, but purely on the electronics front-- And sony electronics and sony music are separate.

17. macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2004
    Jobs is full of it. Apple claim to want fair access to platforms (like XP) and then deny it when it's in their interest. Let's just admit that Apple are no better than anyone else in this area.

Frankly it worries me. Apple are small and if they keep people like Real and Sony out they'll either club together and beat him or the biggest, fastest company will win. Either way it won't be Apple.
  18. macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2002
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    The article does point out that this could be 1985 all over again. History repeating itself. I don't see the harm in opening the standard to everyone, not just Real. As mentioned above.. it may drive more sales of iPod. I think they should push for the defacto standard and have people hop on their DRM standard.
  19. 7on
    macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Kinda like the Mac was his undoing back in '84?
  20. Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002

But having more suppliers/supports of ACC can't be bad.

Not sure that I understand his reasoning.

Granted most folks will purchase an iPod, then go to the ITMS as the provider. However, I would think that being able to use the iPod with more than one store that has ACC content would be good.

The iPod has a limited life span due to the battery issue. So an iPod purchased today will last say 1-3 years. At that point in time, folks will upgrade to a new iPod or something else. The key for Apple is to keep their customers returning for more. If having only one source (iTMS) for ACC content causes customers to look elsewhere, then Apple's current success in this arena will be short lived.

On the otherhand, the iTMS works very well. So maybe it will be the one. Then again, maybe not.

21. macrumors member

Jul 18, 2002

Egad.. I hope we don't look back on this in a few years with regret..
    I certainly hope that the iPod and the iTunes music store nothing but success.. but oh this just seems arrogant.. O.k. so maybe Real is not relevant... but.. but..
  22. macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Was Steve at the helm in 85 though?
  23. macrumors 601

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident

I am looking forward to the Microsoft Music Store to compete directly with the iTunes Music Store. I would like to see Microsoft lose a turf battle. The media will basically be free advertisement for Apple.

Microsoft lost the browser wars on the Mac platform.
  24. macrumors member

Jan 7, 2004

This quote sums up my thoughts on the subject and I think it deserves a second post.
  25. macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2002
    If the iPod's lifespan is only 1-3 years, there may not be much in long-term success for it. I didn't pay $500 for an iPod to have it die in such a short time.