Job's Salary...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by NavyIntel007, Aug 13, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I read an article on Macnn that said Steve gets paid around $219 Million. Now, what does one do with that amount of money? Does he really have the time to enjoy all that money?

Does anyone think that if Steve used $100 Million of his salary and gave it to R&D and advertising the higher profits achieved would make Apple's stock price rise enough so perhaps he would make $100 Million more in the market?

I know all the things he's done for Apple and how he brought them back but surely half of his salary could do wonders for the company. At what point, as an executive, should you invest in the future of the company and not yourself?

2. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

3. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

To my knowledge, Steve is Paid $1 in Salary by Apple. Any other money is Bonuses, due to high sales, great products, etc.
    Plus he gets a full sallary from Pixar, and has a huge stock portfolio with a lots of Dividends.

TEG

4. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well, i think that's what it comes out to be, but his actual salary is $1. At least it was for a long time. The man has his fingers in lots of pies, and Apple pays for everything for him... There was a thread on this a while ago, but i say, if he makes that much money... more power to him. He's had an interesting life to say the least, and he's taken a lot of risks to get where he is now. That deserves rewarding, it's the rule of capitalism. So basically, he could cash it out and lay around naked on a big pile of money, for all i care...

and no, this doesn't apply to people worth over a billion dollars.

:)
    pnw

5. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

He does officially make $1 in salary, but wih his stock options and his GulfStream Jet (with pilot salaries too, of course), he comes out pretty far ahead.

Regards,
    Gus

6. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

7. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

If I made that kind of money, I would have my own space program. I would be walking on the moon in 10 years. :)

What would you guys do with Steve's Salary?

8. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Re: Job's Salary...

Well, I remember those dark years when Steve wasn't at Apple -- beige boxes, anemic chips, a stunted attempt at OS licensing -- it wasn't pretty.

If Steve wanted to suck money out of Apple with a neo-L'Etat?-C'Est-moi attitude, it's not clear to me that we'd have a whole to complain about. He tried turning over the bridge to No. 1. All we got was a decaying orbit.

In fact, I think that Steve loves Apple Computer much more like a child than like a money-making machine. Is he going to suck it dry and leave us the husk? Not if he can help it -- but I have yet to see signs that there's someone who can really take over the chocolate factory after Mr. Wonka is gone.

9. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Among my top five would be to set up a fund to financially help escaped North Koreans. Just a thing of mine.

10. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd have a huge garage with lots of cars and a huge room with lots of Macs! :D

11. macrumors 6502a

alia

I just finished reading the Second Coming of Steve Jobs, which was quite enlightening about stuff like this. He does only make $1 in actual salary, only to keep the health care that Apple provides, but he did accept a huge amount of stock and the jet (and they even paid for the taxes on the jet, etc), so he certainly made money on it.

What I thought was interesting was how he handled Pixar, which the book goes into in depth. He kept the VAST majority of the Pixar stock instead of spreading the wealth with all of the employees.

The man is a visionary, but that book certainly paints him as a class A jerk as well.

Anyway, it's an interesting read!

Alia

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Shoot I'd buy the whole damn country!

13. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Man -- tough crowd where you have to choose between being an anal-expulsive compulsive giver or being a class A jerk! So he kept the Pixar stock -- big deal. You could make a strong argument that before Finding Nemo, Pixar stock was very risky and a questionable gift....

14. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well, nobody is as clean as Ned Flanders...even Walt Disney had a few skeletons in his closet.

15. macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'd buy and run a mlb baseball team... maybe not buy it but buy enough of one to have a controlling interest...

or go to vegas and play high stakes texas hold'em. :D

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

With that much money.... hmmm...

1983 Delorean D1 (aka back to the future car).
    760i BMW
    A huge sail boat (with a dock in NC and FL, see below)
    My own building at U of Miami
    Box seats for UM games
    Gulfstream baby!!!
    Penthouse condo on south beach
    Mountain home done in a log cabin manner in North Carolina (ala Frank Lloyd Wright)
    both with all the fixings
    "Speakers so loud they blow women's clothes off"

And

A chic-fil-A and a smoothie king

17. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Sounds good to me, but alas, I will never have that kind of money.

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Yeah, you're right. Maybe just the delorean and a smoothie king.

19. macrumors 6502

20. macrumors 6502a

alia

Well... when he took Pixar public after Toy Story, there were people who had been working there 20 years, since before George Lucas owned it, who got the big shaft. The Pixar stock took him to billionaire status within months of IPOing... anyway, that isn't necessarily why I think he's a jerk.

I think he just happens to treat people like crap. Of course, I've never met the man, so I can't really make any claims about his personality firsthand. Although, after reading that book, I don't WANT to meet him.

This doesn't in any way change my opinion of Macs being great, or Jobs saving Apple or any of that.

Alia

21. macrumors 68040

MattG

22. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd love a DeLorean DMC-12...someone at my school has one and I drool whenever I see it. :)

23. macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

well id build a huge house like bill gates's home but larger more advanced with clean lines.. and coolness all over! . OFCOURSE run by Xserves and such..

id also start a Render Farm Company.. based on new g5 Xserves..

or build the worlds fastest super computer based on new g5 xserves.. that is 10 times faster then the fastest current.

anyways...

i also want a MClaren F1

maybe start a CatScan or some specialty scanning lab.. that runs cheap.. for the public

24. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

25. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I could give almost every person in the US 1 dollar. Or I could just keep it and be one rich mo-fo.