Jobs to scoop $3.5bn as Pixar board approves Disney takeover

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 22, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

Makes sense for Disney to own the maker of its best products. For one thing, they now won't have to worry about Pixar flying the coop to another distributor.

3. macrumors newbie

as long as Disney is smart enough to leave Pixar alone and not work it's corporate claws into Pixar's creative process.

4. macrumors P6

Peace

Jobs will be the biggest stockholder in Disney so I doubt things will get bad.

5. macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Does this mean that Steve will get a high corporate position in Disney, then take over Disney, and then have Apple take over Disney? Then Apple would safely own most of the country.

6. macrumors P6

Peace

Dunno.But it could mean future Macs will have Mickey inside.Or the Mighty Mouse might be renamed the Mickey Mouse:D

7. macrumors 6502a

Let me finish your thought ... yes, this is a non-merger merger between Disney and Apple because Jobs is Apple. Apple now has full access to Disney content, which means a lot more than just TV and movie downloads, it means Apple has all the content it needs to launch an IPTV network.

Imagine a wireless video iPod that allows you to watch ESPN anywhere. It's less than two years away.

8. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

What all does Disney own? I know they own ABC, and I thought I read that they own ESPN too? Either way, it'll be good for iPod content in the future :)

9. macrumors P6

Peace

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/disney.asp

A lot.

10. macrumors Core

i'm kinda surprised that they are actually going through with it to be honest. but as long as Pixar is able to remain semi-independent they should still put out good movies.

i wonder what type of role Steve Jobs will play in Disney. will he even bother taking an exec position? perhaps on the Board? hard to tell.

one thing that i am noticing is that S.J. will have a place in history. He is starting to make a huge impact on the world. Yes the Mac would get honorable mention and the iPod increses that attention. Pixar is another tag. depending on what happens with Disney though.... :: shrugs ::
    time will tell.

11. macrumors regular

xtbfx

12. macrumors regular

Except that Disney has already licensed much of its content for digital distribution with Starz through its Vongo service. I think I read that this contract is exclusive for a couple of years or so.

13. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

No. I could see Jobs on the Disney board (possibly as chairman), but I don't see him trying to running both Apple and Disney. He wouldn't be able to either job effectively.

14. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

The main problem I see with this is that Steve has just put himself in the same position as Sony-- he's a content owner and a digital device maker. As we have seen, This dual role made Sony more interested in DRM than in useable digital devices-- the Sony digital music players didn't even play MP3s until last year. Obviously, Steve is aware of this issue; I just hope that his new position doesn't color his judgment-- read my signature.

15. macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

16. macrumors 6502

SJ may become the largest stock holder, but what will be determinate is the percentage he owns. He could be the largest share holder at 5% or at 50%. I'm not claiming to know but what ever that figure is, could say alot about how the story plays out.

17. macrumors regular

askthedust

i noticed the bottom of that page too

Imagine if apple has access to disney/abc/miramax/beuna vista content and has Tivo software already for dvr boxes and say what about that rumor about the mini changing into a living room box and the picture starts to come into focus a little more. Add a couple kids and a disney subscription to get the whole thing started...

18. Guest

dont forget the "disney computer". that could just become a mac mini shoved into a colourful box, not that is it an important product anyway.

19. macrumors 6502a

I agree completely! I have no problem with the Pixar toys and theme park rides and whatever else, as long as Disney handles this and lets Pixar alone with their films. They need to be able to function creatively without letting marketing dictate what they do.

20. macrumors 6502a

Good point. Anybody know what percent owner he would be?

21. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Roughly 6%. .Disney is ~$50B Pixar is ~$7B. Jobs owns half of Pixar. Ergo 3.5/57=6%

B

22. macrumors 68040

mduser63

From what I've heard, he'll own about 7%, making him the largest individual shareholder but not the majority shareholder like he is with Pixar.

23. Moderator emeritus

It's difficult to believe that the Pixar board members are so greedy as to approve such a transaction. It will likely be the ruin of the company and its employees, as Disney has been doing to itself and its employees.

I feel sorry for all of them. Looking out for number 1 applies, it seems.

24. Lau

Yeah, that's my biggest fear. Pixar has done some great stuff, Disney, not so much.

I suspect it's the Tivo stuff and Disney's other stuff that makes it a good deal for both parties.

25. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm not sure it's all greed. Think about it this way. 3D CGI feature films are no longer solely Pixar's domain. Dreamworks/PDI and Fox/Blue Sky have done fairly well with Shrek, Madagascar and Ice Age. This may be Pixar's peak and the only way to stay on top is to keep a close association with Disney since they have a huge distribution channel, and a "prestige" brand which has been heavily diluted in the reign of Eisner.

B