Joe Biden Racist?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jul 6, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

After watching this video clip, I wonder what exactly Biden was trying to say? I really can't think of what kind of compliment that was supposed to be. I wonder how many places I would need to publicize this to before he is called to respond for his actions...

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He might be, but his actions have been decent and he's been pretty good about taking care of all of the people, regardless of what he might be thinking about certain groups.

In a lot of ways, it's difficult for me to think of any older white people as not being racists because it was a fairly common thing to do. Even when you didn't believe in it, you went along with it to not be set apart.

If he does a good job, what's the point? Put someone else in his place who might not be a racist but who doesn't care about anyone but him/herself?

3. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

So if I go around making fun of <insert group here>, but do a "good job" it's ok? I have a hard time believing that if I went around saying that you can't go to a KFC unless you're black or be a male at a play unless you're gay, I'd get assailed for being a bigot.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not saying that it's okay but there are worse people out there who just keep their mouths shut.

Was Marge Schott (who owned the Cincinnati Reds) a racist since she made one comment? Maybe, maybe not. Was it the wrong thing to say? Sure.

5. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I can't believe a politician would have the lack of sense to say something like that. I certainly wouldn't vote for him after having seen this video. Share it on YouTube. Post it on other sites.

6. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Age & race discrimination, or just prejudice?

(sorry just making a point that even when not intended, people who want to infer an issue can, I know you are not that way but just making a point of how easy it canbe misconstrued);)

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I think his comments were a little "off," but I also think we are are WAY too sensitive in this country (not pointing fingers at anyone specific).

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

From the sound of it, it seemed to be as though he was trying to make a joke, albeit one in poor taste. Perhaps he feels that the image of the "dark-skinned foreigner" working in a convenience store has become too clichéd to be offensive anymore, i.e. Apu in the Simpsons.

I'm not defending him; just trying to figure out what he was thinking.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I'd look at his overall record, not this one (remarkably dumb and insensitive) comment.

Sounds like he was trying for light banter and had a huge brain fart instead. But that makes him insensitive, not a racist.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I know how it sounds. I also know how I was treated by the group in general and how they treated other minorities in general. Being thrown out of a store because I wasn't white enough shouldn't never have been acceptable but yet, everyone in general went along with it.

Every day, when one of those people dies, the old attitude goes away just a bit further. I know that prejudice exists, even in me, but it's so much better than it was in the 1960s and 1970s.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good. The more crap Biden (D-MBNA) takes, the sooner he'll be out of a job. Of course, he'll just go be a lobbyist...

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You mean a Jon:D and the Hookers are Congress.

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Ya, and alot of that generation is why reform happened in the 60's. I don't call people the N word, but many blacks do, yet I am lumped in a group of racists, it kinda defeats the idea of it doesn't it. We all have some, ALL. But a bunch of those 60+ white folk were in there 20's in the 60's helping pave the way too.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I almost started with some black dude the other night when he used the N-word. After all, a lot of us paid our dues so they wouldn't have to pay, you know what I mean?

I know that there were some white people who hated racism back then or things wouldn't have changed. They suffered as much as the minorities. I didn't see any of them where I lived but I heard of terrible beatings--white-on-white crime, if you will. I understand why everyday people didn't fight racism overtly but for so many of them to just look the other way, including the police, what's up with that?