Joe Biden?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mike Teezie, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I don't know if any of you guys watch Bill Maher's show on HBO, but watch it every week religiously. Last week's 3 person panel had Ben Affleck, Kevin Phillips (author/former Republican strategist), and Sen. Joe Biden.

I'd never seen Joe Biden speak in person, nor did I know anything about him.
    I have to say I was impressed! He seemed really no-nonsense, and talked with passion and intelligence. The main phrase that came out of his mouth was, "we need to be DOING things, not talking about them". What he said made sense to me.

I was wondering what the general consensus was on this guy, as he says he is running for President in '08. He has a site, but that's not nearly as good as talking about something here.

Now before anybody starts bashing me for not being able to make up my own mind, re-read my post. I like the guy. I want to hear some other opinions from people I respect on these boards.

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

So what exactly is he DOING? :confused:

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I just happened to catch part of Maher last night. I thought Biden was terrific. I was kind of surprised, really. He always came across to me before as kind of an empty suit.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i was a biden fan in the 80's. he did/said a few things which i didn't agree with (and i couldn't even tell you now what those things were), but to be fair i haven't been watching him very closely since.

i did have the impression he is a very bright guy.

as far as a presidential run goes, more power to him, but he faces the same problem that gore and kerry did: a long senate voting record that's open to scrutiny, exaggeration and misrepresentation.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I like Biden a lot. My dream ticket would be Warner/Biden. Time will tell.:cool:

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I like Biden too. Wasn't he the one who stood up to Gonzales, saying we shouldn't torture because then we're no better than the terrorists? Seems like a good candidate for VP, but I'm sure the machine will find dirt on him. There was something about him I didn't like though. Can't remember what it was. It was like Reid and the abortion thing. Something I disagreed with him on. Must not have been that important. I like Feingold too, but even though some of us liked the censure thing, apparently it wasn't enough of us.

Plus the fact that this country is sadly very antisemitic.

8. tristan macrumors 6502a

I saw the exact same show and turned to my wife and said "I wish this guy was our President". He's great, like a democrat with some balls.

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Biden is an articulate man with lots of experience. He also will have to continue to explain his plagiarism of Kinnock in his last presidential run. I would be fine with him as a nominee, but I think his chances are very slim. My choice? Gore or Feingold.

10. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

He's been in the Senate since the day he turned 30, as he said on the show.

One thing that surprised me - Bill Maher asked him point blank, "Are you going to run for President?" to which he replied, "Yep."

No crawfishing, just a straight answer.

Another thing - he said a few four letter words, not that matters to me in the very least. He even said goddamn at one point. In a way, it was refreshing. Made him seem like a real guy, because he was talking in a way normally completely off limits to politicians.

Unfortunately, I can see that clip on perma-repeat come election time.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Funny, I was going to open a thread on the same topic after watching it but didn't get around to it.

He came off as a straight shooter and said what was on his mind. He'll never be President.