Jogging Headphones

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sabor, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

I have a some Sony headphones that o behind the ear. They work OK for most of the stuff I do at the Gym - except when I jog on the treadmill. They start to gradually fall off and this is kinda annoying.

I also have the shure headphones, but due to the sweat, they also fall off.

Can anyone recommend some good headphones that work great at the treadmill/gym?

Thanks.

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

[ring, ring]

Callee: Hello?

Caller: Hello sir, may I ask, do you have jogging headphones?

Callee: As a matter of fact, I do.

Caller: Well then, you better catch them! Ha, ha, ha [hangs up]

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

:D That was actually pretty damn funny.

5. net26 macrumors member

just steer clear of sony clip-ons, i am yet to meet someone who doesn't "lose" them while running... buy the cheapest ones from philips and i think you'll be happy... i am! also, the headphones i got with my nokia 5500 sport phone are actually quite amazing as far as comfort and staying in place is concerned... i was sure they were dreck, but i now use them every morning.

n.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've got the Sennheiser Twist to Fit ones. I bought the regular 'street' ones rather than the 'Sports' MX75 version since they were cheaper and I was sceptical to how well they'd work. I also really didn't want the bright green!

I'm impressed so far. My in-ear ones used to fall out on the treadmill - or threaten to. The Twist-to-Fit ones do look a little odd and it takes a few goes to figure out how to get them in reasonably quickly but they will stay on throughout a gym session - treadmill, crosstrainer, weights, stretches - without any need to continually adjust.

Link to the MX55s

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

8. JDN macrumors 6502a

Which Shure headphones do you run with? I am looking at the e2c's and thought they looked pretty stable considering how they go in the ear. Are they not as secure as they look?

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I got mine at Target for less, you might find them there, too.

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Me: Excuse me, is your refrigerator running?

11. redbluedevil macrumors newbie

This may be overkill for your purposes but, for both gym and jogging use, I use the Westone UM2 earbuds with Comply tips. There are no microphonics with this setup, in stark contrast to the Etymotic ER4p, and with the Comply tips sweat/slippage is largely a non-factor. I say largely because marathon workout sessions (2 hour spin classes or the like) may necessitate an occassional towel-off. The bass on the UM2s is tremendous. Treble and overall three-dimensionality are also very good, but a step below the Etymotics (in my non-professional opinion). The Etymotics are borderline unusable for jogging (though in a pinch I've used them, with some creative cable-routing to minimize microphonics). Of course, you will need to change the Comply tips regularly; when they lose their ability to compress/expand the sound quality decreases correspondingly. I imagine the Comply tips would work with other less-expensive earbuds as well for gym use. That said, I would watch out for any model where a significant volume or weight is outside the ear canal. In my experience, those types of earbuds (e.g, certain Shure models) are intrinsically unstable, and an activity like jogging will very likely dislodge them, which more or less defeats their purpose.

A good low-cost solution is the Koss KSC75. These are over-the-ear headphones, highly adjustable, decent bass, marginal treble. The KSC75 is obviously an order of magnitude (or two) in sound quality below the expensive Westones, Etymotics and Sennheisers of the world, but for sweaty, action-packed use they are more than sufficient (particularly if, like me, your style of caring for workout-related equipment is cramming it into a non-padded gym bag after use). That said, self-professed "audiophile" friends of mine have not been as taken with the KSC75s and, admittedly, since buying the Westones my pair have been relegated to a cardbox box in the closet. For $10 on Amazon though, (which is less than the cost of a pack of Comply tips alone, I wholeheartedly recommend them.

12. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

One headphone for the iPod I highly recommend is the Creative EP630. This in-ear headphone has excellent noise isolation, and the sound quality definitely belies its low US$30 price with strong, clear bass and surprisingly clear treble. :)