John Ashcroft resigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Happy happy joy joy!

Link

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i am not a fan of mr ashcroft. i wait w/ baited breath to see who will take his place.

i found this statement curious:
    link

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To borrow from the "evangelicals"; AMEN, PRIASE GOD!

It will be interesting to see if Bush puts more "moderate" members on his cabinet. Maybe the previous 4 years was just a ruse to get to the meat of the second four years.

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Don't be suprised to see Rudy get the nod for the position. I think he would do a great job, and is by every definition a moderate person.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

On ABC's news tonight, Peter Jennings said that a Justice Department spokesperson said not to expect any changes in policy. So don't hold your breath.

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I wonder if this is good news or bad news?

Bush has political capital and he intends to spend it. Then a lot of prominent Bush Administration officials leave.

Did John Ashcroft leave because he didn't feel like he was being supported or is he leaving because he doesn't like what is planned for the next four years?

Popularity doesn't matter at this point, we have a lame duck President.

7. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Hahaha :)

Now, let's see Rummy resign as well, and I will be all smiles ...

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Rudy at least knows how to talk out the side of his mouth :D

Seriously though, when Rudy is not trying to be a RNC mouth piece he is a good overall individual. I give him respect for "fixing up" NYC. Not living there at the time, I can't say that his actions were good, but the results seem to be.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I was living there at the time, and even a liberal like me can say he did a pretty good job. A huge improvement over the previous regime.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about...Lame duck? The President, like it or not (and I don't, trust me) one a majority of the votes. Whether it's a mandate on his positions or not is yet to be determined, but he is certainly not a lame duck. He isn't one in the definition's sense, but he also isn't one in any figurative sense.

As far as why Ashcroft left...One could imagine a number of reasons...For one, he wasn't much liked within the Justice Department. Additionally, he was probably the least popular figure in the Bush cabinet and it makes political sense to gain points on booting Ashcroft (who already did his damage) and spend those points on something else (like judicial appointments)...Finally, if somebody like Giuliani gets tapped, then this could be seen as a move to open up an opportunity for a future presidential candidate, in case Jeb chooses not to run. Honestly, though, I think it might very well be the former deputy Attorney General, whose name escapes me.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're assuming John Ashcroft is bothered by the presence of a scruple. :rolleyes:

Anyway...further details.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I visited NYC prior to 9-11 and was surprised at the improvements in quality of life issues. A "liberal" like me liked what I saw. Not sure of how I might have "lived" under his ideas though. The results are what counts though. Sort of like Clinton in some regards. He knew what need to get done in the political arena.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

some of the things you missed:
    1. racial profiling in police work
    2. closing of certain gallery exhibits
    3. squatters kicked out of apartments on xmas eve (iirc)

though i was mightily impressed by his leadership on 9/11 (hey, i had to look to someone), some of my nyc friends have a very sour taste in their mouths because of some of his policies.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Happens all too often in the "big" cities.

Same as above. Maplethorpes exhibt was banned in Clevland OH but shown in the DC area.

I am not sure how to respond on this. Xams Eve is excessive IMO. But I am not sure of what rights squatters have legally.

He is some one that is loved or hated. I am not sure in the ned how I feel. I like what NYC became under his helm.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

singapore is a very clean city w/ well behaved citizens. but you can't chew gum or hold hands in public. a man was jailed because he walked naked from his bathroom to his bedroom and someone happened to see him. remember the american kid who was caned for graffiti?

yes, nyc was cleaner and safer under guiliani. but many wonder if his gestapo means justified the ends.

like i said, i like what he did on 9/11, and i don't live in nyc and offer the above based on what my nyc friends have told me. just a big fyi.

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

More along the lines of him having his ego bruised by fulfilling some ridiculous demands. It doesn't really matter, there is always another one on the production line. It's really easy when the world is black and white.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you can bet on that ;)

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, it was Cincinnati. They're the prudes. We're a lot more open-minded up here.

As far as replacing Ashcroft...let's see, who's available...?

Pierce Brosnan? Tim Couch? Either one could probably do a better job.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry about that. Love Cleveland myself. Only spent a few hours in Cinnci back in 2001 on my way back east.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

21. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    ah, i'd forgotten about the teatgate...

gotta cover up the obscene body parts because if god had wanted us nekkid he would have us be born nek... oh wait.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

He's already been replaced, which should make everyone happy.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Only time will tell.....

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Not saying I think the appointment of Gonzales is a good thing, but what does it say about Ashcroft that my gut reaction is that a man who advocates the use of torture is an improvement? :eek:

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

AGAG sounds just as bad as for the rest of the world as Ashcroft was for the US.

Enron execs run free after stealing billions while Tommy Chong goes to prison for selling bongs... the legacy of an *******.