John Dvorak: Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacbookSwitcher, Mar 29, 2007.

1. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...4395-8A8E-B94C1B480D4A}&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I am always baffled at the complete and utter nonsense that leaves his brain. Simply amazing. :eek:

Edit: Even the stuff where he isn't deliberately trying to piss Mac users off is just incredibly weak.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i see sense in this... if you look, apple is not really competing with anybody on anything... aside from maybe their prof creative softwares... but that's not the kind of competition happening with the mobile phone market

macs dont directly compete with PC, OS X certainly doesn't compete with Windows

ipod is such a market leader now that iPod™ sometimes is recognized as the generic name for mp3 player.

"hey, i want an ipod"
    "what brand? wanna try the apple one?"
    "sure, the apple kind"
    "oh, here you go"

(just like in some region, Coke™ is the generic name for all soda)

display? well, let's just say ACD is not the most popular LCD monitor out there.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So, when did John Dvorak start worrying about Apple's reputation?

I really liked the line, "Even Microsoft itself has troubles with its attempts to get into a small sub segment of the handset business with its operating system."

Hey, John! Haven't you noticed that Microsoft has trouble getting into any market that they weren't essentially born dominating?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I often enjoy Dvorak's sensationalist diatribes over Apple. Hopefully Apple can find some foothold into the cellular phone market that's already stable and dominated by big players.

7. mags631 Guest

Yes, it's good stuff... especially seeing the responses that follow, both agreeing and disagreeing vehemently.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think he has a point, Im not gonna swoon over the iPhone. Right now it is all hype, for all we know the thing could tank.

9. MacbookSwitcher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

No one is "born into" any market. Markets are gained and won.

10. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

12. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

That was a good video, this guy is a freakin genius and loser at the same time. Instead of actually taking a solid position on a topic hes just spinning it to get more attention and readers. He doesn't care about the topics he's writing about, he's just trying to draw attention to himself. Give it 3 months, he'll be reading his hatemail on his new iPhone.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

o rly?

14. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I agree that it's going to be tough for Apple to break in to the mobile handset market, but that's no reason to throw in the towel.

I realize he says most of what he says to get a rise out of Mac users, but when he says things like that it just makes him sound like a fool.

By his reasoning, Microsoft should have given up on the Zune long ago. Of course, they should give up on the Zune, but that's not the point. ;)

I think my favorite line was when he said the iPod only succeeded because Apple advertised. Oh, and it's the best player out there too, but that's not important. :)

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Really? Microsoft had market dominance dumped into their laps. Their main expertise since has been in exploiting it. The vast majority of their other projects have been money losers. That is why I find Dvorak's "even Microsoft" remark so humorous.

16. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Right up your alley...

Politicians are advised to avoid using the phrase "even [insert noun]" in their speeches and daily verbal communications.

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I don't know who this guy is, but he contends the iPhone's buzz is only from brand loyalty.

Well, if Apple had shown off the Motrola ROKR at Macworld instead of the iPhone there would not be the buzz there is now.

Yes, people haven't seen an iPhone in person, but the buzz is in large part from what they have seen and heard about the iPhone--namely its really cool UI. It's not just because it's Apple loyalists are creating buzz for no reason. I don't think many Apple loyalists were apologists for the lameness of the Apple/Motorola ROKR fiasco?????

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The buzz if from rumors and hype, its all good marketing from Apple but until real people get their hands on the phone will we know how good of a device this will be. It all hinges on if people like it. There are a lot of unknowns about the iPhone and until the public puts it to use know body knows if it will succeed, it is all a gamble at this point.

19. California macrumors 68040

California

Dvorak is telling Apple to pull the plug on the iPhone? All I want to know is how much Microsoft stock Dvorak is holding. ATandT reports they've got ONE MILLION inquiries about the iPhone?

Dvorak is just playing scrooge. Weird. I want to know -- why?

20. MacbookSwitcher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

1 million inquiries does not mean the iPhone will be a success. Because not a single one of those 1 million people has used the device to know how good or bad it might be.

The Motorola Q has a 50% return rate, and Motorola has alot of experience in phones. Apple has none, and making a smartphone is hard. So I think it's a valid point (not that I don't think Apple should make the phone).

21. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Maybe I am forgetting something, but I do not remember any sort of aggressive advertising on the iPod's part until it found its way to Windows users.

It was advertised at the beginning, to be sure, but not like what Dvorak is claiming.

22. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Though Motorola may have a lot of experience in making phones, they also have a lot of experience in making failures. I can't remember the last time Motorola launched a new phone line that wasn't immediately successful, then a couple months down the road everyone saying how much they hated their phone and how big of a piece of crap it is...

That sounds like what Steve was saying when the iPhone was announced...how much people hated their phones. Hmmmmmm....Maybe Apple is on to something???

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unless a couple of months after the iPhone people say the same thing about how bad the thing is.

24. MacbookSwitcher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

Saying that people don't like their current phones does not by any means guarantee that Apple will make a successful phone. Making an obvious statement is alot easier than making a great product, especially a technically difficult product in a space with tons of competition already (the iPod is not technically difficult).

25. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Dvorak?

What happened to good names like Smith and Bob?