John Edwards is running for President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dont Hurt Me, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thought I'd make mention of it.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16377918/ I like Edwards though I dont like the fact that he voted for the war and helped create the attrocious discusting Patriot Act. I dont think he can win against Obama or Hillary.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I like how a dude worth $20 mil or so still has $300k of outstanding debt from his 2004 campaign.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well he can't pay it off with his own money, of course. (i'm sure you realize this).

not sure how i feel about edwards. i'll be interested to see and hear more from him.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Booo boooo!

Not so much for anything political, but I just constantly want to smack him.

5. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Why is that? the hair?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

He just seems chirpy and insipid. My impression is really from the 2004 debate with Cheney. That he didn't seem more charismatic than Dick Cheney (to me) is a really bad sign.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Obama will beat him anyway. He should save his money.

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

And this is why Republicans are likely to hold the White House....

Does anybody other than trial lawyers like a trial lawyer?

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Personally, I'd be surprised if that happened. Of course, I was also surprised that people actually elected Bush.. TWICE.

11. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'd vote for him. After all, he did help me make peace with the recent death of a loved one.

</lame joke>

12. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A Obama,Edwards ticket would look good to me, but after the current administration a pile of pooh would look good.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think the Republicans will lose the Presidency due to the fact that Bush just can't seem to listen to the people, no matter how clearly they speak. He has tainted the party for a very long time.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can only hope so.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree.

i don't think i would vote for Edwards, unless there are no other worthwhile dems running. :eek:

but Obama, should he run, would get my vote, and would bury Edwards. i don't think he'd mad a bad vice president though.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

mumble mumble something something southern democrat president something mumble

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Are there any southern democrats from states that are in reach though? The Carolinas are a tought nut to crack. Florida seems like a good bet. Tennessee and Arkansas are a little more dynamic as well, although the electoral vote payoff isn't as big. On the other hand, they are more "southern" than Florida.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I dunno, what have the GOP got? A former lawyer himself, Rudy Guiliani, and McCain, who's poll numbers fall the more he cozys up to the Bush money machine?

Edwards may be a trial lawyer, but he's got a good populist message that may very well resonate with people. His "two Americas" speech was very well received in '04, and I've heard he's tweaked it so that it is a little less "poor vs. rich" as "the middle class is getting a raw deal". That has potential. He also has a good fund raising machine in place, and can benefit from the strategic placement of the South Carolina primary, shortly after New Hampshire's thing IIRC. He's said to be incredibly charming and persuasive in person, qualities you would associate with a good trial lawyer.

On the negative side, he's got a lack of foreign policy experience, and experience in general. And the baggage that comes with being a Senator trying to get elected president.

I notice that despite conservative's notorious hatred of the evil "trial lawyer", they are all more than willing to avail themselves of one the second they need one. I mean, come on -- what was the army of people that the GOP sent to Florida in 2000 composed of? Who's managing Scooter Libby's defense? Who keeps lawyers on retainer more often, a middle class person, or someone who frequents expensive sushi restaurants and can afford to drink $4 lattes regularly while living in their elitist estates? ;)

It appears that conservatives have the convictions, but not the courage to stand on those convictions when it comes to trial lawyers...

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ugh.

As a North Carolinian, I strongly urge you NOT to support this schmuck. He was the most worthless Senator ever to come from our state... he got elected into office and then immediately started parlaying that into a bid for the Presidency... never did a damn thing to help the people of North Carolina or the US as a whole, and now he's pretty much a joke around here (even among the Democrats).

I'd rather you voted for Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton... and that's saying something.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yes from the family I have in NC they all can't stand him.

I don't think Hillary will get the midwest vote as she comes off too cold. The Dems best bet is Obama.

21. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I will say this: he would make the most beautiful president since Kennedy.

As a liberal democrat, browsing his web-site, I like what he is advocating NOW, but it doesn't quite jive with him having supported the war in the past. As far as his economic issues, regarding fighting poverty and fairness, I agree with him completely, and I suppose it's hard to see a record of his action on those issues since he has served in a Republican controlled congress.

With regards to his announcement, he definitely needed better PR. The first I heard of his announcement was that it was accidentally announced. In the article I read on that, it said he had flown down to New Orleans to do yard work, and from that yard would announce his candidacy. So then I went to his website, and watched the viral video of him standing in a yard having done yard work. It just looked like cheese to me. I know that a lot of politics is rhetoric--not what you have to say--but how you say it. And I know that when it comes down to it, the actions of a person are important, not the rhetoric. But since rhetoric is important in getting to a place--the presidency--where you can take action--I was a bit disappointed in how cheesy and opportunistic the video looked.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What's wrong with Obama? (And don't use "experience". If he succeeds he'll have had more years in government than your beloved Bush did when he took office.) Is it that he's a (gasp) liberal? I have to say, I like what I'm hearing from Obama and so do a lot of other people. If he runs, he'll be the Republicans' worst nightmare.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is that both parties need fresh faces to run and not the same people that we have seen over the past 8 years. Edwards has proven that he can't win an election, People either love or hate Hillary, McCain is to old and Rudy might not win the nomination. I think Obama is the front runner right now with no clear candidate on the Republican side.

Altho I have heard Mitt Romney being floated around.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm am working very hard at stifling a yawn. It isn't working.

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Damnit, now you've got me doing it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.