John Howard: al-Qaeda should pray for Obama to be elected

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN

Hmm. Wonder if Howard is this low-down and stupid on his own, or are the Republicans here using him as their surrogate in attacking Obama?

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

God this is embarrassing. I don't understand why he didn't just keep his nose out of it like he normally does. I'm actually very surprised he did this, he's usually not that stupid.

3. Queso macrumors G4

No, Howard thinks this stuff up for himself. You have to wonder what sort of mess the Australian opposition is in for him to keep getting elected. I've never actually met an Aussie that votes for him, and considering I've had month long trips to Oz twice during the time he's been in office, plus lived and worked with numerous Aussies here in London I find that quite strange. Who is actually voting for this man?

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Well if I had been of age at the time I probably would have voted for him. :eek:

Even though I don't agree with some of his views and policies, the alternatives presented by the Labour party have always been much, much worse - as in they had NO policies worth the paper they were written on. The other thing I like about him is that he is actually quite intelligent (though there are always exceptions such as this incident) - again something that's never really come across from the opposition.

He'll have to really be on top of his game if he wants to win the next election though. Even though Australia has been experiencing excellent growth, living conditions etc, he's been in government for over 10 years now and I think people are ready for a change. The new opposition leader Kevin Rudd and his deputy Julia Gillard (who I would personally prefer as leader) actually shows some promise, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Again, I'm very surprised he made such inflammatory comments, as he's usually very careful with his words.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My guess is that the Republican Party won't be complaining about this gross interference in the US election process.

6. pengu macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, most of the people here (aus) who have a clue, are the upper income bracket, and thus vote Liberal (howard) because his party's policies generally benefit higher income earners.

Even more unfortunate, a lot of the lower income earners are too stupid to realise that "better the devil you know" is a stupid excuse used by stupid people for voting for an idiot.

and honestly, who the hell can trust these eyebrows:
    [​IMG]

not to mention this guy bucking to challenge for the leadership of the liberals:
    [​IMG]

despite what you may think, no that is not actually frank burns from M*A*S*H. he is equally as stupid though.

7. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Funny, considering al Quaida and other extremists didn´t have such a stronghold in Iraq until after the invasion.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

True enough. Bush could fairly be credited with creating Al Qaeda in Iraq.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This little incident verges on the bizarre. I can't remember ever hearing a foreign political leader attempt to inject himself into a U.S. primary in this way. I'm at a loss to explain it. What could Howard possibly hope to gain by attacking Obama? Is he simply sucking up to Bush?

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or perhaps hes just racist?

^honest speculation.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for those who missed the response from the obama camp:

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

What's this? A Democrat standing up and calling a conservative on their BS? Have I entered some strange alternate world? Is today opposite day? Color me impressed. If Obama continues to call out the opposition I'll consider voting for him.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Great response, Obama was right on Iraq and the Neocons who never fought in a war were wrong and still are.
    Vietnam 2.0

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Nah. He's just pissed about the cricket.

:p