John Lennon Solo Catalog on iTunes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by serendipity0325, Aug 13, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

2. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yeah, I noticed this earlier.

With Paul McCartney and now John Lennon on iTunes, I'm sure the Beatles are right around the corner.

EDIT: That link doesn't work. Try This.

3. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Looks like iTunes has fixed the problem.

Now the Lennon catalog is accessible in iTunes through this link.

4. macrumors 6502a

paddy

Come on Apple, where's my Beatles? I'm just hoping to see their anthology on it now.

5. macrumors newbie

did everybody forget that Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles songs?

6. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Meh, he owns half of the publishing rights. Sony owns the other half. I don't think this has anything to do with the Beatles not being on iTunes.

7. macrumors bot

MacRumors

John Lennon Solo Catalog on iTunes

[​IMG]

Apple announced today that John Lennon's solo catalog is now available on the iTunes Store. Meanwhile "Lennon Legend" and "Acoustic" collections are making their worldwide digital debut.

Also included for a limited 30 day period is exclusive video content to be included with some of the albums.
    As part of EMI's catalog, the new songs are also available in iTunes Plus (DRM-Free) versions for $1.29 per song.

Article Link

8. macrumors 6502a

nemaslov

Who's music? "I don't believe in Windows...I just believe in me, Steve Jobs and Me." :D

9. macrumors 6502

another step towards having the beatles catalouge be on itunes finally - come on remasters

10. macrumors member

Depends on what the meaning of "is" is

While I enjoy listening to Mr. Lennon's music, we're starting to date ourselves by calling him an artist of our time, methinks... He's been dead more than a quarter of a century.

I'm still glad to see the addition to iTMS, in any case.

11. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Finally, hard to call yourself a music store, though, if you can't even by an album by the most famous recording act of all time. Can you say "Holiday Season"?

12. macrumors regular

cliffjumper68

Tonight. Me. Download heaven! :D

13. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

Sweet.

Just bought the Imagine video. Presumably no DRM if it says iTunes Plus next to it. I've never seen it before. Infact, I think this is my first ever iTunes video purchase...

Presumably more in september.

Anyway, they've done a good job - I like the page. Very apt. I wonder if Jobsy designed it himself?

14. macrumors 6502

I've wanted to buy "Imagine" and "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" for a long time. Finally I can do it and DRM free too!

15. Guest

Lennon was great as part of the Beatles, and kinda less so in his solo career; a welcome addition to iTMS anyway.

Now if we could only eliminate Yoko's "voice" and "talent" from those tracks where she appears...:rolleyes:

16. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Time to move to Windows. :p

17. macrumors 6502a

nemaslov

I think it is great that he is finally on iTunes but if you really want the music, BUY the remastered CDs instead. Much better sound, fidelity and packaging for maybe five bucks more per album or less. You will not regret it!!!

18. macrumors regular

Lennon catalog is incomplete

Don't get too excited about the Lennon catalog on iTunes. It is missing some important Lennon albums. Where is Double Fantasy, Shaved Fish, Milk and Honey?

iTunes is always incomplete!

19. macrumors 68000

JGowan

I highly agree -- iTunes is great for the impulse buy or a single you want now and again, but for my money, I want the real CD, Case, Liner Notes, in short the whole experience. I want to be able to rip at Apple Lossless or burn a car CD withouth losing a bit. I love iTunes/Apple/Mac/Pixar/Steve/Boom and want it/them to do very well, but at the end of the day, it's all about the music.

I would imagine we'll see GEORGE & RINGO following up next AND THEN the Beatles... hopefully all for the Christmas holidays. What I'm truly hoping for is not only the songs showing up on iTunes, but a physical media package from Apple,... iPod, Remastered CDs and a DVD of 256bit AAC files to quickly load on the computer, without the ripping involved. It all goes back to my philosophy that really important stuff needs to be the unfettered version.

Probably a snag in contracts. Or perhaps a "let's see what the first selection of songs do before we let go of the bigger stuff." I think this logic is idiotic. You need to get the best selling for people to want to sample the lesser-known stuff.

20. macrumors 6502

Were those on a different record label? If so, that is why.

21. macrumors regular

Laurent

Those weren't solo projects (released under John Lennon & Yoko Ono) and Shaved Fish is a compilation...

This one is getting ooooooold!

So what's next? Lennon dancing in a iTunes TV ad?

22. macrumors P6

Peace

23. macrumors regular

Laurent

Those albums are probably © Lenono Music (I know Double Fantasy is), this is an exception from the albums available on iTunes, which are © EMI Records Ltd.

24. Guest

Darkroom

was John Lennon really one the greatest artists of our time Steve? really? i think it's debatable...

25. macrumors P6

Peace

From wikipedia :

In 1989, EMI acquired the rights to Double Fantasy from Geffen.