Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
What I'm truly hoping for is not only the songs showing up on iTunes, but a physical media package from Apple,... iPod, Remastered CDs and a DVD of 256bit AAC files to quickly load on the computer, without the ripping involved.

Fat chance of that. If the CDs are remastered, you will get them from Apple. Apple Corps, at your local CD store or shipped from an online reseller. Apple Inc. will provide downloads only, or in the case of a Beatles iPod, preloaded on the iPod perhaps. You will definitely NOT get a package of CDs from them.

I would imagine we'll see GEORGE & RINGO following up next AND THEN the Beatles... hopefully all for the Christmas holidays.

Isn't Ringo's stuff on iTunes already? I know George isn't. I looked for All Things Must Pass a couple months ago.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Let's not get into a debate over our different taste in music. Think of it as a step into having more variety in iTunes.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
BUY THESE CDs (not iTunes) NOW:

Working Class Hero : Definitive Collection (the best overview if you can only have one).

Plastic Ono Band (His first proper studio solo album) Raw intense and one of the top five best Beatles' Solo Albums. His Primal Therapy album. Holds up very well and does not sound dated. Influenced many punk and Indie Bands

Imagine: Great. Souped up Phil Spector production and wonderful lyrics. Great arrangements. Most would vote his best.

Walls and Bridges. Very Underrated. Self produced. Great songs.

Lastly a personal fave is the Lennon Acoustic Album that came out not long ago. Many demos and folky versions, mostly solo, of his better known songs. A great companion to those listed above.

Someone PLEASE answer me this:

In my last post I listed what I thought were the best Lennon albums to buy. But why would anyone purchase the Working Class Hero: Lennon Collection on iTunes for $28. when they can get in on CD at Amazon for 23. No tax, no shipping and you get the frriggen disc? Better quality and booklet?

Again, aside from buying one tune at a time, I still prefer CDs. Much better value too.

http://www.amazon.com/Working-Class-Hero-Definitive-Lennon/dp/B000AV2G3I

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
My 2000 remasters says otherwise...

Actually all of the Lennon Albums went back to Capitol in the US and EMI Internationally. Geffen is one of those labels that was originally with Warners and then to EMI. It got absorbed (like everyone else) but Geffen is still sometimes listed on Double Fantasy. Yoko controls the reissues. Most of which are out now with a bonus track or two.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Meh, he owns half of the publishing rights. Sony owns the other half. I don't think this has anything to do with the Beatles not being on iTunes.

You are correct.

From a number of things I have read, EMI is negotiating the terms with Apple and then Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and George Harrison's estate will have to agree to it. Supposedly, George Harrison's wife is the one gumming everything up.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You are correct.

From a number of things I have read, EMI is negotiating the terms with Apple and then Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and George Harrison's estate will have to agree to it. Supposedly, George Harrison's wife is the one gumming everything up.

I understand that.I think she would prefer all money from George's music go to charity.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Meh. Im done with CDs now. Im all but past the sentimental stage of collecting them. I treasure my existing collection (which is over 1,000 deep) but after ripping them to iTunes they do not get used and just gather dust. So recently I made the switch to download only. Either iTunes+ or Boomkats 320kbs MP3s. Its good enough for me not to distinguish the difference on a very nice system. Doesnt sound as good as vinyl of course, but the ability to catalogue, sort, remix my music on iTunes far outweighs that negative.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
I understand that.I think she would prefer all money from George's music go to charity.

No she is not gumming it up. The Beatles music is being remastered which is LONG overdue. Her comments came from an interview. End of 07 or early 08 they should finally be released.

When the albums are finally remastered you should buy the albums you want on CDs not on iTunes. Use iTunes for individual songs. You should buy probably at least five of the Beatles fourteen official releases. The singles (if you wish) you can buy individually or buy "1" the singles collection.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Just wanted to add that Milk and Honey and Double Fantasy are available, they just don't show up on the Lennon Page for some reason. Shaved Fish is not available, but Lennon Legend is Shaved Fish on steroids.

I am glad more content is being added to iTunes, but I already own all of these remastered CDs, so no big deal to me! :D

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Meh. Im done with CDs now. Doesn't sound as good as vinyl of course, but the ability to catalogue, sort, remix my music on iTunes far outweighs that negative.

Most people miss the fact vinyl, as old of a format as it is, is superior in terms of acoustic harmonics and dynamic range. Direct to disc recordings are even vastly superior to those.

Rocketman

Laurent

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Montréal, Québec
Actually all of the Lennon Albums went back to Capitol in the US and EMI Internationally. Geffen is one of those labels that was originally with Warners and then to EMI. It got absorbed (like everyone else) but Geffen is still sometimes listed on Double Fantasy. Yoko controls the reissues. Most of which are out now with a bonus track or two.
Thanks for the clarifications...

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
While I enjoy listening to Mr. Lennon's music, we're starting to date ourselves by calling him an artist of our time, methinks... He's been dead more than a quarter of a century.

I'm still glad to see the addition to iTMS, in any case.
I think you're dating yourself by saying "me thinks"!

But then again it's called old English for a reason.

alansky

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
Marin County, CA
While I enjoy listening to Mr. Lennon's music, we're starting to date ourselves by calling him an artist of our time, methinks... He's been dead more than a quarter of a century.

Dude, open your eyes! John Lennon is an artist of our time because the themes that informed his music are, sadly, as relevant today as they were when he was alive. In a world ravaged by war and corruption, as ours most assuredly is, how can anyone with half a brain think that John Lennon's message isn't relevant to our time?

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Finally, hard to call yourself a music store, though, if you can't even by an album by the most famous recording act of all time. Can you say "Holiday Season"?

I can say bye bye U2 Special Edition iPod, Hello Beatles or Paul McCartney Special Edition iPod. It's been rumored for so long, Apple will probably release the collection alongside new iPods in October.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Meanwhile "Lennon Legend" and "Acoustic" collections are making their worldwide digital debut.

So what, pray tell, is the format of my Lennon Legend CD on the shelf behind me? I was always under the belief that CDs stored music digitally also.

While I'm not having a go at arn individually, I am having a pop at the industry and a lot of those reporting it collectively. The closest you could come to argue that a CD didn't contain digital information is if the SPARS code said AAD, (analogue tape for recording, analogue tape for mixing/editing and digital mastering). Somehow unless the information had been re-recorded, and so therefore was not the same as the original album, (unlikely as the lazy git Lennon refuses to continue his career from beyond the grave), the iTunes would still be AAD.

Just a little annoyance of mine. Digital music isn't exclusive to describing deliverance via compressed file.

docgraham

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2006
I just made my first iTunes album purchase, I buy CD's, but Plastic Ono Band went missing from my recent move, and walla, today seemed to be a good day to start using the store. Lennon RULES! ! !

JellyFish

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
Who cares about Lennon or the Beatles? :rolleyes:

I want to know when Led Zeppelin's music will be on iTunes. Robert Plant already has some stuff up there. It's strange that Zeppelin's music isn't up there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.