John Lewis UK and Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacSA, Sep 26, 2004.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

When I eventually get a Mac i'm probably going to get it from John Lewis as they offer a 2 year warranty/guarentee. However they don't seem to have had ANY Apple computers in stock for quite some time (i'm looking at getting an eMac or iBook)

I wonder if this lack of availabliy is simply a supply problem or a sign that something new is around the corner.

Any comments?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, according to the Buyers Guide both are due for updates. Plus John Lewis do a lot more than sell computers so I imagine they wouldn't have as good of a relationship with Apple to get supplies ahead of other UK mac resellers...so I reckon the shortage at John Lewis is a bit of both :)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Getting my Mac from John Lewis was a struggle -- eventually had to drive up to Watford to pick the bloody thing up.

They took my money then had problems finding one, and when they did they said it would take over a week to get delivered from Watford to London...

Yes, two-year warranty but the rest was shoddy.

4. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    A guy at work tried to go through the John Lewis route to get his 14" iBook, but came to exactly the same problem over stock.

So he went the Apple store way.

Unless it's really really urgent to buy .... my waters are telling me to wait for updates.

5. Decanus macrumors newbie

Decanus

John Lewis (aka Heelas)

I bought my first (Bondi blue) iMac from Heelas in Reading (now re-named John Lewis because apparently the staff thought that it would help boost sales). The 2-year guarantee and service proved excellent when the keyboard packed in after 8 months -- a guy came to the house with a replacement.

However, they always seem to charge above the odds, on a variety of items, despite the much-vaunted 'never knowingly undersold' slogan. Yesterday (Saturday 25 Sept) I noticed old G4 iMacs, being sold off at reduced prices -- but they were still more expensive than the current G5s. They also tend to have clueless staff; a callow youth once tried to sell me a big D-Link box sprouting aerials, when all I wanted was a USB Bluetooth 'dongle'. I can't help but think that unknowledgeable customers are taken advantage of.

6. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

hmmmmmmm that doesn't sound too good, especially after i've had quite a few other Mac users recommend that I go through John Lewis to get a Mac because of the extended guarentee. I've never had any problems when i've bought things from them before.

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I agree with the clueless staff & high prices, a friend told me the High Wycombe store had some g3 ibook reduced when the g4 came out, they were more expensive than a new g4 ibook from a online store! :eek:

I use Jigsaw most of the time. Usualy a good price & next day delivery if its in stock.

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

as long as you know your stuff john lewis are fine... but expect to get everything stock.... i got my powerbook from john lewis as it gives 2 years g/t and am happy....

9. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Apple products seem to be the same price where ever you buy them from (excluding discontinued products)... at least the Apple computers i'm looking at seem to be. the eMac at Jigsaw is £1.05 cheaper than everywhere else. £1 for an extra years guarentee from JL seems pretty reasonable :)