John Roberts Confirmed as Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clayj, Sep 29, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

... by a vote of 78 yea, 22 nay.

And, surprise, surprise: Of the 22 senators who voted "nay", 21 of them are from "blue states" that went for Kerry in the 2004 Presidential election. The one exception is Democratic Senate Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No surprises there.

Let's hope Roberts is as good as his word. Like Kennedy said, I'd like to be proven wrong about my concerns regarding Roberts.

4. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Hmm, I'm kinda surprised my senator Levin voted "yea"... meh.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[Deleted because I misunderstood clayj's post to indicate that Harry Reid voted "aye". He didn't.]

6. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Well, headed on over to Levin's website to read his statement concerning his vote for Judge Roberts.. in case anyone's interested:

http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=246482

While I ultimately disagree with his vote, I can't fault his reasoning and can at least respect his decision. I'm still a little apprehensive how Roberts will vote and how he will lead this court, but I guess we'll see..

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Depending upon how his reasoning and voting record unfold, both initial supporters and detractors will have about 30 years to whine and groan about it.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How many of the 78 yeas were from "blue states"?

9. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

You've got access to the same data I do... you figure it out. ;)

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

19 blue states in the election = 38 senators from blue states. 21 voted nay, so 17 voted yay.

11. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Bah - the Democrats are a bunch of sellouts. Can't really tell the difference between most of them and Republicans. It's like we have Microsoft Windows as our government.

12. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Ahhh, so which is XP Pro and which is XP Home? Does that make the Green Party Linux? :)

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Check out Barack Obama's Podcast on why he respects Roberts, but voted against him. I don't know, I think it could have been worse. I'm willing to give him a chance if he isn't going to try to plunge us into the dark ages or anything. I just don't know much about the guy, and that's what scares me a little. If this is the moderate one, I'd hate to see the conservative one.

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

John Roberts, will he be what we have needed, or a long lasting example of wrong choices made early on in the new century? Time will tell.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It amazes me to think about how long he is going to be a factor in our lives--my life specifically. For me, it's going to probably be most of it. I'm 32 now, and somehow I think Roberts is going to live a longer life than I will, so 18 years minus, say, 5 or 10? Doesn't leave me with much Roberts-free living to look forward to.

I will say thought that I was pretty well hoodwinked by the confirmation hearings. I'm not entirely sure this guy won't be a reasonable, moderate conservative judge. I hope he will be. But I have my deep dark doubts.

16. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Now I'm not a praying man, but Jeebus, please let him be Souter-like. If not Souter, let him come out of the closet and make neo-cons' heads explode. ;)

17. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I second that. :)

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not gonna happen. You know Rove's got a list of cases that he asked Roberts pointblank about. And there was no dodging the questions during that session, or he didn't get the nod.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Rove also has pictures of Roberts in a frilly dress going down at a gay bar or something along those lines to make sure he keeps his word.

Roberts will be at least as conservative as Renquist. Maybe not as conservative as Kennedy or Scalia, but certainly no Souter.

19. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Barack Obama has a podcast? :eek: How have I not heard about this? That guy's the man...

But yeah. This is a sad day for me personally...

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think you're dead on.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yep, and a good one too. Right there on the top 20, after Bill O'Reily. And way after Al Franken. Make of that what you will.