Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After first launching in the Middle East, Southeast Asia and Latin America, Obi Worldphone is now expanding availability to the United Kingdom with the launch of its flagship £99 smartphone, the Obi MV1. Former Apple CEO John Sculley is one of the co-founders of Obi, which "is in the business of making more affordable devices," as opposed to Apple's higher-cost iPhones (via Engadget).

Obi-Smartphone-5.jpg
Images via Engadget

In terms of specs, the Obi MV1 has a 720p display that measures 5 inches, a front-facing (2-megapixel) and rear-facing (8-megapixel) camera, a 2,500mAh battery, one 1.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 212 chip, 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. The MV1 does support microSD cards, however, that could potentially boost storage up to 64GB.

The design of the MV1 hopes to differentiate from the crowded "jungle" of the Android smartphone market, according to Obi executive Ankush Chatterjee. To do this, the company created the smartphone's "signature floating glass display," which is protected by Gorilla Glass 3 and sits a few millimeters above the body of the device. The MV1 also has contrasting edge design, with rounded corners on the bottom of the handset and more angular, sharp edges on the top.

Obi-Smartphone-3.jpg
Whether it's to your tastes or not, the MV1 is comfortable enough in the hand, though the raised display isn't a particularly elegant feature. It's a thin, sharp edge after all, which your fingertips come into contact with regularly. Also, since the screen sticks out, it draws attention to how big and bulky the MV1 is for a 5-inch device, though that does help it feel robust.
Based on Android 5.1 Lollipop, the MV1 has an operating system called Cyanogen OS 12.1.1, allowing for "easy customization" by the user. The UI is said to be "colorful," while sporting a feature called Lightspeed UI that lets users access various widgets on the MV1's lock screen, like the phone's dialer, camera, and web apps.

Obi-Smartphone-1.jpg

For those users in the United Kingdom, the Obi MV1 can be purchased for £99 in black or white from the company's official website, or from Amazon.

Article Link: John Sculley's Company Obi Worldphone Launches New 'MV1' Device in UK

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Another great Apple product. Just pair it up with a Pepsi Max and I'll buy one.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
From the story the other day, lower cost smartphones are doing well in other Asian markets and if this phone were introduced in China too, I could see it doing well there too. If the quality and desirability of these lower cost phones endure, Apple and Samsung will lose more market share to them I would suspect.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
From the story the other day, lower cost smartphones are doing well in other Asian markets and if this phone were introduced in China too, I could see it doing well there too. If the quality and desirability of these lower cost phones endure, Apple and Samsung will lose more market share to them I would suspect.
Not only in Asia, but here in the US as well. I think Apple is a bit more insulated than Samsung though. There's only one supplier of iPhones. If you want one, there's nowhere to go but Apple. Samsung has a bit of a pickle since there are myriad Android choices. To their credit, they offer lower cost handsets to help mitigate the potential loss of market share. But there's no doubt they want the S/Note series to be the biggest sellers. They have a hard row to hoe when a person looking for Android can spend $100 and get something like the ZTE ZMax Pro.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Not only in Asia, but here in the US as well. I think Apple is a bit more insulated than Samsung though. There's only one supplier of iPhones. If you want one, there's nowhere to go but Apple. Samsung has a bit of a pickle since there are myriad Android choices. To their credit, they offer lower cost handsets to help mitigate the potential loss of market share. But there's no doubt they want the S/Note series to be the biggest sellers. They have a hard row to hoe when a person looking for Android can spend $100 and get something like the ZTE ZMax Pro.
It would be unfortunate if this was the entire story. And in many cases it is. What I mean is that too many people buy a phone on price alone. How many will be getting the samsung only because T-mob is giving it away right now? I wish people would think about the phone and the features and the apps and the integration and the OS. If they did this I would think that the landscape would look a little different. In some cases, as I mentioned in another response, they will say " I don't care about integration, but I do care about feature X." In other cases they will care about a specific app that is only available in one OS (not as big a problem as it use to be unless you are looking at BB phones). Price is important and always will be, but it should not be the only thing.

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Not for nothing, it's notable that there is no headphone jack in this. In a "low cost phone" which I think is why it's notable.

Oops. There's a headphone jack on there, on the top. My mistake. Never mind then!

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
It would be unfortunate if this was the entire story. And in many cases it is. What I mean is that too many people buy a phone on price alone. How many will be getting the samsung only because T-mob is giving it away right now? I wish people would think about the phone and the features and the apps and the integration and the OS. If they did this I would think that the landscape would look a little different. In some cases, as I mentioned in another response, they will say " I don't care about integration, but I do care about feature X." In other cases they will care about a specific app that is only available in one OS (not as big a problem as it use to be unless you are looking at BB phones). Price is important and always will be, but it should not be the only thing.
That's all well and good but some folks can't afford a flagship no matter how integrated.

For me its simple if your phone costs more than a Nexus I won't buy period not matter how special because in the end its just a phone

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Indeed at $99 it's an easy and cheap move to another ecosystem that you can afford to buy the couple of apps that you need and upgrade faster and cheaply than w an iPhone especially now that cell companies in the US don't pay for part of your phone.
My 2 year unlimited plan is still cheaper than the new plans w no 'hidden fees'

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
You're right. There are a ton of people who buy things based on cost. But there are a ton more who buy on perceived value: "What am I getting for my money?" Even better, "How much does it cost to get what I want?" In the past it was easier to differentiate. Low cost meant accepting fewer features. That's not the case today. Lower cost phones are just as feature packed as some premium phones.
Android: If I want a phone that has features A, B, C, D, and E, I can easily get that at $300. Heck, I can get that at $150. Samsung has to convince me their S series is worth the premium. (Personal aside: it is for me) For a lot of people, it's not.
Apple: Much easier road. You either buy the phone or you don't. If you want iOS, there are no other options. The only budget friendly phone option is the SE, but it's so tiny. :) Some might like that, but for many it's not even an option.
Like you said, apps are basically a wash. You can get 'em on cheap and expensive phones. Cross platform apps make the ecosystem integration less compelling. Anecdotally, I use iOS, OSX, MS, and Android. I can access all of my info easily, regardless of which device I use.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
That's all well and good but some folks can't afford a flagship no matter how integrated.

For me its simple if your phone costs more than a Nexus I won't buy period not matter how special because in the end its just a phone
My last line stated, "Price is important and always will be, but it should not be the only thing." Clearly you seem to believe it is the only thing. So we will agree to disagree.

Reactions: Zirel

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006

Agreed... once the buzz of Samsung offering (essentially) a feature-identical iPhone with a bigger screen and a few gimmicks rubs off I think it'll become clear that Samesong is no Apple. They're just another Android maker. And why do you buy Androids? Because they are cheeeeap!!!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
You're right. There are a ton of people who buy things based on cost. But there are a ton more who buy on perceived value: "What am I getting for my money?" Even better, "How much does it cost to get what I want?" In the past it was easier to differentiate. Low cost meant accepting fewer features. That's not the case today. Lower cost phones are just as feature packed as some premium phones.
Android: If I want a phone that has features A, B, C, D, and E, I can easily get that at $300. Heck, I can get that at $150. Samsung has to convince me their S series is worth the premium. (Personal aside: it is for me) For a lot of people, it's not.
Apple: Much easier road. You either buy the phone or you don't. If you want iOS, there are no other options. The only budget friendly phone option is the SE, but it's so tiny. :) Some might like that, but for many it's not even an option.
Like you said, apps are basically a wash. You can get 'em on cheap and expensive phones. Cross platform apps make the ecosystem integration less compelling. Anecdotally, I use iOS, OSX, MS, and Android. I can access all of my info easily, regardless of which device I use.
Pretty much agree. This is why Apple needs to come up with something to differentiate in September. Otherwise it will be difficult to compete - if all else is the same, always go with the cheaper option. Apple used to have a very compelling case. For me it is still compelling, but not as much as before. The gap has narrowed, and for many, disappeared (I disagree, but won't split hairs).

I do find it funny that Scully basically put the iphone glass on top of a square phone. Maybe he is hoping to get back into Apple. :D

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Agreed... once the buzz of Samsung offering (essentially) a feature-identical iPhone with a bigger screen and a few gimmicks rubs off I think it'll become clear that Samesong is no Apple. They're just another Android maker. And why do you buy Androids? Because they are cheeeeap!!!
Completely disagree but hey every opinion is welcome.:) I don't do the Samesong, Crapple, M$, overly enthusiastic fan of a company stuff.

To answer your question about why I buy Android phones? Simply because I prefer them over iPhones and WinPhones. Cheap had nothing to do with it.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Looks like a good deal. Cyanogen is a good (Android) OS.

[This phone is] not the usual crap like Amazon Phone, Firefox OS, Samsung "full of crap" Android OS...

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Pretty much agree. This is why Apple needs to come up with something to differentiate in September. Otherwise it will be difficult to compete - if all else is the same, always go with the cheaper option. Apple used to have a very compelling case. For me it is still compelling, but not as much as before. The gap has narrowed, and for many, disappeared (I disagree, but won't split hairs).

I do find it funny that Scully basically put the iphone glass on top of a square phone. Maybe he is hoping to get back into Apple. :D
That phone looks unfinished. From the back it looks like they tried to save money on the milling by not finishing the rounded edges at the top.:eek:
item_XL_10274425_12972407.jpg

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Another step in the commoditization of smartphones. Phones like this will put price pressure on the established brands. Also happy to see another vendor supporting Cyanogen. Android would be a lot more attractive if it wasn't controlled by Google and/or the carriers ...

Last edited:

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Looks like an excellent phone to recommend to friends and family who don't need and don't care about specs and features. It's fast enough and capable and without bloat.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
But they stopped being "just a phone" about a decade ago. Now they're small computers we carry everywhere with us, that happen to have an app that can make and receive phone calls. It's kind of astonishing how thoroughly the devices that really were just a phone have disappeared from the mobile landscape in the past decade.

Reactions: Deelron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.