Johnny Carson Dead?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jan 23, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Just heard from a coworker that Fox announced he died from complications of emphazema.

Man was he an icon!

edit: Yes, NBC already doing a piece on him, he was 79. :(

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Man he was a great showman. Any news of a NBC conspiracy?

3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

There is a single glove outside dave letterman's front door!

Seriously he was a smoker though.

edit: CNN doing a bio now.

edit: died in his sleep.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Nothing on Yahoo's home page. That's where I get my news.

A while back, CNN made a snafu when they put some obituaries on-line accidently, when the person had not died yet.

5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I would be suspect too, but NBC, FOX, and CNN so far have reported it, not that the news can't all be idiots at the same time-2000 and 2004 elections. But sounds real, and the end of an era, he was great. And the fact is that most of us here were probably conceived during the show! :) :D :p

6. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Google News doesn't have it yet, neither does ABC online. CNN has a "blurb" with details soon - Yahoo has an actual story, but its still too new for details such as time, location or cause.

Damn, I miss the old Tonight Show with that man.

7. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Cause-should be emphazima, he was a smoker and almost 80, so plausable.

Ya he was the best, his dry unassuming manner and wit were great, he is the standard, Leno/Letterman/O'brien and others are often just shadows of Johnny.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

9. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Wow. I wonder how much he smoked a day. When he was actively in show biz it must've been a lot.
    Don't smoke kids. I'm glad I quit way back when.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I normally go to bed at 9pm, but I will stay up to watch Leno to see what sort of tribute they will give to the king of late night.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

besides the smoking, he battled alcoholism for most of his adult life and many people think he dabbled in drugs. So at 79, he got a good run at life. I looked up to him a lot, clever without needing to be offensive, but pointed when necessary... i always thought Letterman was the proper replacement, and it's interesting to hear that he's been writing jokes for Letterman over the years.

RIP.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

They should rebroadcast his entire last episode.

13. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

i doubt Leno does much - Johnny never liked him and thought Dave should have taken over his show. the real tribute will be on Letterman's show - they were always very close, and Johnny launched Dave's career, not Jay's.

as a matter of fact, Johnny had been secretly writing monologue jokes for Dave for the last few years.

14. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Johhny liked his privacy, I noticed the family said there would NOT be a memorial service! I am bummed cause I am in Burbank thru Tues and would have gone to something-will watch the news tonight between football games.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Leno will be doing heaps, but you're right about Johnny and Dave. Johnny has been sending Letterman jokes from home for him to do on Dave's monologue, like you said. :cool:

On the other hand, I don't really care much for his death because I'm not old enough to have seen his show. I know he's a big deal, but it's hard to care for him because I don't know him or his show.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I've seem many of his shows, but since Leno, it's been so long ago, and feels like ancient history. Carson definitely was from another era.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

He was indeed from another era. When Letterman came onto the scene, it was obvious that the future of late-night was hip, ironic stuff...and that wasn't Johnny. Carson had enormous talent, but he chose a good time to end his show.

Too bad, though. I think there was still a place for him on TV after Tonight, but apparently he didn't agree. It's sad that we haven't seen this great talent, really, since that final Tonight Show.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The best tribute that Leno could do would be to sign off for the week and play some old Carson episodes of the Tonight Show. Leno could never compare to Carson, he was the legend of late night.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Johnny Carson had a great way of getting Tonite Show guests to chat and making everyone feel like friends on the show, without hogging the spotlight himself. He did not take public sides in politics, unlike Jay Leno. His humor, a little corny, never mean, was right for his time. He made a few appearances here and there after he ended his talk show, but mostly disappeared from public view, as he wanted. It's too bad he's gone.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As said before, yet another icon passes. He was so much better than some of the trash we see today.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace, the comment was made that he wasn't a happy man. Emphysema is a terrible way of death. Just try holding your breath as along as possible, then you will somewhat understand the illness. Another way is to breath through a straw, it also simulates the illness. To quick smoking is the best treatment for the disease.

I greatly admired Johnny Carson. A real class act. He knew when it was time to retire and then left the public stage. Just had recently heard the he was doing some writing for David Letterman. Another class act.

22. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

a NON political hollywood type, Carnak was humble, sharp, and humorous. As I watch the highlights of his career, I am both smiling and sad, especially as he works with the child actors. What a HUMAN BEING and generous host as he fed lines to his guests. As has been said, so much today is trash. he was a CLASS ACT and is un replaceable.

God bless, God Speed, and Rest in Peace Johnny, unlike so many-you will be missed!

edit: want to add things like CLASS ACT, MODEST, ENDEARING, and most of all helpful. So many today will testify how he always worked behind the scenes to help the new guy/gal. He had a wonderful SOUL. There seems to be so few so humble, capable, genuine, TV personalities that even try to make a difference. (oprah and rosie withstanding) We have tried to and failed to replace these icons. Where will Trash TV lead the following?

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I will be sure to watch Leno's and Letterman's next shows to see what they say about Mr. Carson.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to agree with stubeeef (well, there's a first time for everything): Johnny Carson was a class act. He didn't shy away from sexual humor, but he knew the difference between risque and raunchy. I actually used him as a role model when I was in early adolescence, when I was trying to determine for myself how far you could take naughty humor without being outright vulgar.

I think this is about as far as it went on Johnny's show. :p

(Warning: the above link is probably not work safe.)