Joining a Frat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Aug 23, 2004.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

So how many of you participated in Greek Life when they were in college. I started college today and have already visited many of the frats and where I would like to rush and join for college. my co-workers who have been to college already deem me in this new pathetic category, but it's all in fun and games. allen (co-worker) tells me along with school work i will be distracted by girls and beer now, something i have already but soon to be an abundance. did it work out for you guys who did it and what are your opinions on the pros and cons. the only people i don't like in frats are the people who join to be cool and make friends, i find them the most pathetic. i am joining cause i have a blast and feel at home and some of the ones. lets hear the opinions!

iJon

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-iJon

I did. Best experience of my life.

Your experience will vary, of course, depending on the particular University and Fraternity.

Try to see what they are, not what they want you to see. I waited until second semester before I pledged. I then realized all of my friends were of a particular house - and away I went!

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well i was going to rush in the spring, but at the u of a this year they are doing delayed rush, so i will rush in ocotber, plenty of time to meet people and see if this is what i want to do. but also, i have lived in my college town all my life, so i have been going to many of these parties during my high school years, so nothing is totally new to me.

iJon

4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

iJon- WHACK! "Thankyou sir, may I have another!!!"

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I didn't pledge. All my friends were GDI's, we all had fun together, so no reason to join. Dated a fair number of sorority girls, though. ;)

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my advice is, have as much fun as you can in college, it will never be this easy again

but don't let whatever activities you embark in stop you from finishing school...too many fraternity kids at my school dropped out of school, due to too much partying, after their first year of school

some people join school just to party for a year with no intention of getting a degree and if that's their goal, then all the more power to them

but for many, if not most, school is about learning and getting a degree and enrichment in life...though some define enrichment as getting drunk and laid as many times as possible

to each his own

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Something that worked for me was to have affiliated friends, but not be affiliated.

I've found that many affiliated people pretty much only stick to themselves. The prospect of having friends outside of the system is something they can't comprehend, so it seems.

If you join, just don't get swept up in the whole scene. There's a reason I never did, and I've been happy altogether.

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I did. If you are at a school with a heavy greek life go for it, but don't do it as a freshman. Pledging is way to tough to do as a freshman.

9. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

true, but a lot of things will be factor into this. for one the delayed rush, when it comes time for october i will know how my teachers are and if i would even have time for a frat right now. also you cannot live in the house the first year, so even if i do get accepted i won't be in a party house or something till next year. from the looks of the this delayed rush for me will prove to be a good idea, i don't know why they didn't do it for the girls.

iJon

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Because sororities don't generally adversely affect grades as much as frats tend to.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

frats suck... that's not what college should be about... go out and meet lots of new people, all kinds of people... not just the same group of beer-guzzling meat-heads... I was glad every day of my college career that there were no frats where I went.

12. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Sorority rush is FUBAR. Anyway.

#1 - All houses are different - even the same Fraternity on a different campus. I've met guys from other campuses that would have not been in our chapter in a bazillion years. SO, just because you know a guy, or someone else knows a guy in XXX house at some other university doesn't mean jack about XXX house on your campus.

IMHO the MOST difficult thing about being in a fraternity (especially so if you live in) is that there is always SOMEONE ready to do something other than study. So if you don't have great discipline to study when you need to you're DOA. It'll kill you. Dead. F's all around.

Also, depending on if your chapter has a house or not, it's a TON of work and a fair amount of cash for Dues, etc. etc. Members-at-large generally have 'work-week' for at least a week before school starts to fix/improve the house. Associates/Pledges may be required to do something similar. All of our Associate classes had a house improvement project that had to be completed prior to initiation. They can be great for bonding.

Finally, you'll be subject from some extremely snide remarks and more from some folks for no good reason. {See the above post}

All told, it's a great way to meet people and make some lifelong friends and learn a lot.

Feel free to PM (don't e-mail, my MR e-mail doesn't work) me if you have any other questions. I'll be more than happy to exchange e-mail or PM with you to answer any questions you have.

13. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

alright a couple of notes of the problems you pointed out for me. as for studying, i won't find that a problem. i plan to take college very serious cause it is and i will continue to treat it serious. lot of the guys i met in the house were on scholarships so they have kept them over the years, many of them juniors and seniors. as for money, money won't be an issue. my parents have already offered to pay for housing if i get in a frat. as for snide remarks, those are people i don't give a s*** about. kind of like how cassidy will soon call me a beer guzzling meat-head. i don't try to please everyone nor do i care about the people who despise me, to each their own.

iJon

14. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I stayed as far away from frats as I could, and I suggest that others do the same. One of my best friends that I went to high school with, joined a frat our second year and ended up being kicked out his third year because of partying too hard and not making the grade.

Of course I got married right out of high school, so I didn't really have time to be in any organizations, plus my wife and I saw the Dead many, many times through out my college career.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

too bad he's sort of right about frats. Its generalized, but its fairly true of most frat guys...

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

No offense, but it's not the frat's fault your friend was a dumb@ss that had little/no self discipline<sp?>.

That being said, I'm not really a fan of frats. None of my friends in college were in them. And of all the Greeks I met only a handful didn't flat out irritate me from the get go. I'm basically the anti-frat kinda personality.

If it's your thing that's great. Have fun. Be safe. But don't turn into the type of person that makes people hate Greeks. Rise above.

Lethal

17. ToddW macrumors 6502a

I figured I should enlighten you about frats.

I joined a frat when I was in college. It was a great time and if you find the right frat they will be good friends for life. I got laid numerous times, and drank my share of beer. My grades were okay, my GPA did drop a little during pledging. The one thing that a lot of people will not tell you is that pledging is one of the most crappy, exciting, devasting periods of being a greek. It flat out sucks sometimes. No matter what anyone else tells you, hazing is rampant and it sucks, the frat brothers try to get in your head mess with you all the time, don't take any crap and make sure and stand up for yourself.

I transferred to another university ot finish my degree, I had more fun and true friends that I made at the second school I went to, that I stay in touch with now, then I ever did when I was in a frat. Don't let the frat be your life, let it be a part of it, and always study. The grades you make in your first couple of years of college will determine your GPA for the next four years. Any more questions feel free to PM me.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

hey, before you join, see what sororities they party with.
    You don't want to join a club that parties with the Fi Alpha Tau Alpha Sigma Sigma girls.

19. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Good to hear that your study skills are in order.

Hazing is a mixed bag now. Some houses on our campus hazed like the old days, and others not at all. Technically, I think that the fact we had to attend meetings every week was hazing, but whatever. One advantage to waiting until your soph. year to join is that you'll get a chance to see who's pledges hate life and who's are in good order. Then you can decide what route you want to go.

I actually rushed in the spring which was nice. I never had any intention of joining a house, but after meeting the guys, it was a done deal. I'll never regret it.

My school had a pretty large greek scene, and make no mistake, there were plenty of beer-guzzling meat heads. However, they tended to congregate within one or two houses. The druggies in another. Overall, most were pretty diverse. Most folks who go away to college will have their beer-guzzling meat head moments. It happens.

Ultimately, if you find the right group of guys, in the right setting go for it. There's no reason not to. Most people who drop out are in the wrong house and only joined because they felt that they had to.

20. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

In a nutshell, this is what you need to know.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that will help determine your graduating gpa only...since many 4 year degrees have the first two years as little more high school rehash, grad schools only look at last 60 undergraduate semester units to determine if you get accepted to move on if that's your wish

that doesn't mean go out and party your head off for the first two years of college though :) but i shouldn't be giving advice since i was a c student for the first two years and mostly it was because i partied way too much

22. savar macrumors 68000

savar

If you don't know what you're talking about...

Great argument. You went to a school with no greek life, and that makes you an expert on fraternities...how?

Through my fraternity I've met *far more* people than I ever would have otherwise. I know because at my school we have a 2nd semester rush...Which means I put 4 months into meeting hundreds of people. Then in the spring I found the people I really wanted to hang out with. These are lifelong connections; ask anybody who has been a part of it.

To the OP: Greek life depends on the school you go to. If you care to mention which school you're at, maybe you can get some more targeted advice. I'm going to be a senior at Penn this year, and I can tell you that greek life there is far different from -- for instance -- an SEC school. Keep that in mind as you move forward.

It all comes down to finding the right place. You're right about joining a place just to have friends or because you think its cool...don't do it.

Just have fun now, go to rush and get all the free stuff they throw at you, make friends with upper classmen, and if you find a place you really like, go ahead and pledge. If you really belong there, pledging won't be too hard.

I wasn't planning on pledging, just eating free food during rush and taking advantage of the elaborate rush plans. (Fraternities will treat you like a king if they want you. When I rushed a group of us were taken to an amazing Moroccan place where there was all the food and wine you could want, real authentic, and the house picked up the whole bill. Another house took us all to Atlantic City for a night.) Even today, there isn't a single other house on campus I would have joined. Fortunately I found the one place I love to be.

Don't make a decision now, just get out and meet people. Everything works itself out if you're honest and keep your priorities in mind.

23. Tusk macrumors newbie

iJon, which U of A are you going to. I went to U of Arkansas in Fayetteville and pledged a fraternity there. College will be the easiest time of your life as long as you stay focused on your studies. 10 years out of college, the real world hits you pretty quick with wife, kids, mortgage, etc. If you like the people, then go for it. I met my best friend (still is, although he lives in another city) in the fraternity.

24. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Best advice, IMO.

Bear in mind that being affiliated is NOT the only way to meet people... it certainly makes it easier but in truth, the depth of your character and your willingness to meet different people is what will matter most in the end.

Going into my senior year, I think I've met a good deal of people. Not as many, say, as an affiliate would, but I think I've done pretty damn well for not having had to go through the whole frat experience.

25. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

from what i've seen, frats can be sweet. Its cool because you can have your own well known parties and stuff. If I were you, i would probly not join a frat until my second year in college. i would stay in the dorms or rent a place with someone my first year, then the next year see whats up. best of luck.