Joining a Gym(few questions)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patmian212, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Hey all,
    I am 16 and pretty much over weight, I want to lose 35lbs. I have never done any streneous sports before(some rugby and soccer). Now I am aware I need to do cardio such as the treadmill and bike to lose wieght but I also want to be way more muscular in the upper body(abs, pecs etc) lower body is no problem my legs are "strong like bull"(I can do 90KG sets easily). What I want to know is how long and what things should I do(machines/exercises)(cant afford trainer to give me a program)? Also the gym offers Muay Tai, which seems cool but is it a good idea?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Work on the cardio first, then when you are into a good groove with that, ask the trainer at the gym to take you around the equipment and show you the effective and safe way to use it, and establish a weight/reps regimen.
  3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Well, before you hit the gym, you need to fix your eating habits. I suggest eating 50% carbs, 35% protein, and 15% fat ratio to lose weight. You should be eating a lot of fiber, and water foods (celery, lettuce, etc.)

You need to burn more calories than you take in per day. I think that once you lose the fat, then you can start toning and getting defined.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Don't start too hot. I've seen quite a few "larger" friends try out a strenuous routine and end up burning themselves out after a few weeks. Slowly work yourself into it. Good luck with it. :)
  5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    See if the gym has a spin class. Out of anything I've ever done, the spin class killed me, but in a good way.
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    one of my good friends drop 80 lbs in 1 semester (5 months) doing circuit training which is a combo of resistance and cardio. He also changed his diet by not eating beef. This basically stop him from eating fast food. anyway, he hit the hard (4 days a week). He was quite dedicated. This doesn't mean you go crazy your first few weeks, because you will be sore. However, the purpose is to convey that dedication is the most important part of going to the gym. Most people give up soon after they start, you going to change your lifestyle if you want to stay on the slender side.
  7. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2003
    Richmond, VA
    I've got a few tips for you. The first (and most important IMHO) is try your best to find someone else to go to the gym with (preferably someone with experience, but also one who is very dedicated). Several years back, I made the comitment to hit the gym and the only way I got through it was w/ my roomate's help. There's going to be days where you're sore and tired and you can barely walk, let alone hop on the bike or hit the iron. Having a buddy who will force you to keep going is a powerful thing, and you need to be there too for him when he's too sore to keep going.

Diet is important, but stay away from those weight-lifter products, creotine, protein shakes etc. Just eat a healthy diet with a lot of protein (chicken and fish especially) and veggies. Drink plenty of water too. Also, try to eat 5 small meals/day as opposed to 2-3 large ones. Your body is more efficient at metabolizing energy when you do this. Another good time to eat is after you've worked out, have a small snack before but then eat after (your metabolism is working overtime after the gym).

Weightlifting is a great way to burn fat in addition to cardiovascular stuff. When you lift weight your calories/hour is significantly lower than with cardio exercise, but you'll continue to burn fat long after you stop lifting weights (as your body repairs the microscopic tears in your muscle). This phenomena doesn't really happen w/ cardio, so you can have a higher net calorie burn when weight training than w/ cardio.

The best way to lift weights is with free weights, but make sure you've been well instructed in the proper techniques/form (always concentrate on that), and have your buddy spot you. You're not doing yourself any good when you're using bad form, and risk significant injury. Remember, slow and controlled is the way to go (fast and jerky is not only very dangerous, but also doesn't work your muscles as well).

Stretch before and after workouts.

Cardio is important, the main idea here is to get your heartrate up and keep it up for an extended period of time. Start small, and then gradually increase the duration (like adding a minute or two to your cardio workout every week). Also it's a good idea to run a lap or two before doing any weightlifiting, to get the blood circulating to your muscles (it'll improve your performance).

Good luck!