Jokes/Pranks at work

Discussion in 'Community' started by SFVCyclone, Mar 18, 2005.

1. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

How about some jokes/pranks you have done while at work?

This past week i decided to change the desktop on the G4 i use at work the to a picture of the blue screen of death from windows. So i go ahead and do it and just leave it like that. then a few days later this co-worker was like hey i saw your computer and i went ahead and restarted it. and after some closer examination by him he noticed it was just the background image. :D

2. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

As I am a marine biologist, being out in the field gives me some good chances for pranks. On my latest research cruise, I found an old dirty band-aid and put inside my friend's regulator mouthpiece. Alas, he saw it before putting the regulator in his mouth. He got his revenge a couple days later when, during the morning safety meeting, he brought my wetsuit out from the blast freezer. It was seriously frozen solid. After about an hour of thawing I had to put it on and go diving. That was a cold dive. :eek:

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm glad you aren't my friend! That's pretty disgusting!

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

LOL! That is disgusting. Man, I guess I know what I'm NOT going to be when I finally decide what I'm going to do with my life.

5. kg9ov macrumors member

A windows prank, but it was still hilarious. A few years ago I came across a program named drunkmouse.exe. When you run it, it quietly goes into the background and is not obvious that it is running. The only place it would show up is in task manager (we were using NT 4). When running, it would make the mouse pointer "stager" as if it were drunk. But, it wouldn't "stager" constantly, just enough to be annoying and make you think there was something wrong with the mouse or something.

I put it on a friends pc and put a shortcut to it in the startup folder for his user profile. I thought he would find it pretty fast and we would have a short laugh. Everyone in the office knew about what was going on except him, so they all just played along. He messed with it for about an hour after logging in. Rebooted his pc, changed the mouse, and verbally expressed his love for his computer. Then, for some reason the program quit working and that day went on like any other. The next day when he came into the office and logged in, the drunk mouse program started back up. We let him again express his love of his machine for about another 15 minutes before telling him what was going on. Needless to say, he was not very impressed. But, we all had a good laugh...

-Tony

6. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

wow, nice time for this thread to go up

On tuesday our secretary decorated the office in an easter theme, later that day one of our contractor decided to play around with the eggs. Our secretary got pissed off and ripped him a new one. So today this other guy from our office stole all the eggs except one from each batch and blamed the whole thing on the contractor. BTW, the contractor is up for permanent job placement in the same office. So on monday (Which is also Payroll day) when he comes in it is going to be like war!!!

7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would say that Dave was a very busy fellow. That is one way to over come boredom. Quite creative. The patterns are interesting, was there some planning prior to this prank?

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

We pulled this one on a co-worker back in my younger days, and it took a crew of us to really do it right. For our case, every post-it note was hand-labelled with a description of whatever it was we stuck the post-it to (e.g. "lamp", "desk", "pen", "mug"). You might be surprised at how much time that takes. ;)

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I worked in a computer lab full of Sun workstations back when I was in college. We used to log in remotely to a workstation that someone was sitting at and start playing sounds through its speakers, or maybe flash interesting pictures up on their screens.

At my current job, it's becoming a tradition to move one of the sad little ficus trees from the front lobby area into a new employee's office and decorate it with leftover Christmas lights or, you know, whatever's handy.

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Try "password securing" someone's screen saver. change the screen saver to "scrolling marque" and inserting your own word or phrase, "Mr. Jones (president or supervisor) eats S**t" or something to that effect.

Do a "Print Screen" of the user's desktop, and then paste the image from the clipboard to a photo program, and save the image as a bitmap. Then, set the 'snapshot' of their desktop as the actual desktop wallpaper. (You'll have to hide the Windows status bar, and move all their desktop icons into a folder, which you can hide conspicuously in the corner or something.)

Simply pop out the 'm' and 'n' key on someone's keyboard and reverse the two. Any flat tool will work. Just pry it with little pressure and they will easily come right off.

(Not responsible for any damage ;) )

12. kg9ov macrumors member

This can actually be very amusing. It still to this day amazes me how many people work in IT and can't touch type.

-Tony

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I found a screen saver for NT that emulates a blue screen. Installed it on my coworker's production testing machine in the lab (he virtually lives there, hardly spending any time at all in his own office). He nearly had a heart attack when he first saw it, but figured it out (and who put it there) very quickly.

Had a new employee join my group, in the cube across from me. For some reason the IT department was very slow in getting him his computer. He did have a rather large ledge on his whiteboard. I brought him an old keyboard and mouse from the lab, set it up on the ledge and drew a picture of a computer monitor in front of them. For the finishing touch I printed a picture of a BSOD and pasted it onto the whiteboard in his "monitor".

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    brilliant!

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

You could try this, get a post-it and stick it beneath the optical mouse covering the pointer, make sure it sticks well.

Have a fun time watching my colleague fumbling with the apple mouse

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

NOT a made up story...

We have a guy at work (we'll call him "Dave") who, while very friendly and certainly quite dedicated to his job, is not exactly adding his fair share to the corporate brain trust, so to speak.
    A group decided it was high time to replace the office toaster oven, and someone went around collecting $5 from everyone else to pay for it. The collector told Dave that they were raffling off a new toaster oven, and Dave, always on the lookout for a good deal, ponied up his fiver. Next day, someone puts the old nasty toaster into the new box, tapes it up nice, and presents it to Dave, telling him he'd won the raffle. OK, not particularly brilliant or funny so far, but it gets better.

Dave decides to take the toaster home and, without opening it, wraps it up as a Christmas gift for his mother-in-law. I'm sure his wife liked that part. So he's cheap, tacky and incredibly trusting, on top of being just shy of brilliant. Kinda funny, but keep reading, because Dave is not done.
    Dave comes into work one day and asks around, trying to find out who actually purchased his raffle prize. He wants to take it back to the store and exchange it. He is quite sure that someone had replaced the new toaster with an old one and returned it to the store, where his co-worker was unfortunate enough to pick that very box off the shelf. So we give Dave the receipt, quite incredulous that we have severely overestimated his cognitive skills, unwilling to believe he will actually attempt to exchange the toaster, yet quite keen to see how this will pan out.

Dave later related to us that he took the toaster back and demanded either an exchange or a refund, but that Customer Service flatly refused to believe that any of their employees would be gullible enough to have actually accepted this package for a prior return. To this day, Dave believes the store screwed us (not him) over, and he refuses to shop there any longer.

17. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

An apple a day...

I used to work with a young woman who was absolutely fanatical about keeping her workstation clean. She was constantly scrubbing her keyboard and mouse and phone and desk with disinfectant wipes and spraying Lysol around the rest of the room. It just about drove me crazy. So one day before work I stopped at the grocery store and bought two identical apples, big red juicy ones. I hid one and kept the other on top of my desk. So when she was doing her morning spray-down I asked if I could borrow the Lysol because I saw some germs on my apple. So of course right in front of her I blasted that poor apple with Lysol for all it was worth until it was literally dripping off. And with perfect timing, I nonchalantly pressed her speed-dial button on my phone, which caused her phone to ring, which caused her to look away for just long enough for me to secretly switch apples. The next thing she hears is a great big crunching sound as I take a huge bite out of the apple. Well the poor girl didn't know whether to pass out or throw up, although I think she might have eventually done both. To this day she still doesn't know about my little switcheroo -- and it was one of the best tasting apples I've ever had!

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

This one's from back in the OS 9 days- one of my coworkers left for lunch and I did a screen grab on his open computer. then I placed the screen-grab in flash and made a fake animation showing a dialog box deleting all of his files. then I launched it as a projector on his computer full-screen.

He was so freaked out when he got back he just sat there staring at it for like five minutes watching his files being 'deleted' because he didn't know what to do.

Attached Files:

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Mine was while on active duty Air Force. Working nights, which just happened to be April 1st. There was an activity board with the list of patients. We added patients making the ward full, just happened to be able to spell out April Fool. Can't remember if it was first or last names. When our head nurse came in a Major, she said my you were busy last night. Then we laughed.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

HEhe. That's a good one.! :D

21. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

LOL!!!

(The LOL sums it up for itself)

22. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My youth group did the post-it note thing to our priest's office. Of course, he hadn't seen it and was walking into the office with an angry parishioner. He had to stifle his laugh!

The next week we toilet-papered his office. Thinking about filling it with balloons next time.

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Some classics from when I worked at Microsoft:

- Entire cube filled with balled up pieces of paper. The cube entrance was sealed with a net made of tape, so everything stayed inside the cube.
    - Contents of a paper shredder (from the room named "Ollie North Memorial") emptied into someone's cube. Years later, some of the paper bits were still found underneath the desk.
    - A manager's office was filled with cups of water, covering every flat surface, filled to the point where surface tension was the only thing keeping the water in the cups.
    - One manager locked her office, but we got in anyway through the acoustical ceiling. We filled her office to the ceiling with balloons. When she returned, she was given a large straight pin and allowed to pop away. My suggestion to fill one balloon with shaving cream was not followed. (It would have slowed her down if she knew that one balloon was booby-trapped.)
    - The best one of all: A manager left on a two-week vacation. Several employees, with managerial approval, hired a contractor. The contractor removed the office's door and window (interior window to the hallway), drywalled over the openings, repainted, etc... they "disappeared" the office. When the manager returned, everyone pretended not to know him, and his office was nowhere to be found.

24. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Was this a temporary thing? Did his office ever "reappear"?

25. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Or take the ball out of a MS mouse...