Jon Stewart P0wns "Crossfire"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by the_mole1314, Oct 16, 2004.

1. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

Incase you missed it, Jon Stewart killed and ate Tucker Carelson and that other bald guy. It was great. Watch it here....

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2652831

Tucker: "Come on, I thought you were going to be funny."
    Stewart: "No, no, I'm not going to be your monkey."

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

YES! YES! I saw this yesterday.
    This proves how awesome Jon Stewart is. One of the few people in TV land with any balls AND soul. (rare combo).

Lee Tom

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anybody got that on a web site where you don't have to sign up for a 14-day trial?

4. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

John:"How old are you?"
    A: "35"
    John: "And you still wear a bow tie?"

:D

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You can watch it on the link provided as long as you choose 200K or below (it is set to 500K). Hopefully that helps, unless I am missing something.

As for the piece, I thought it was great, but depressing. Also, not to be partisan but the "right" member was a real *******. This is beyond the fact that he is only 35 and chooses to wear a bow-tie, although those may be indictative of the larger picture. Poor Jon, he really tried...

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ah, thank you. Okay, so I watched the video.

Oh. My. God.

Stewart has stones of steel.

Frankly, he ambushed them. I'm sure they expected to talk about comedy and such, but he outright ambushed them. And if it were not for the fact that they acted like such d***s, I might have some sympathy for them. But all Begala and Carlson did was prove Stewart's point.

(WTF was Carlson thinking, accusing Stewart of not asking tough questions. I love Stewart's response: "The show that precedes me is puppets making crank phone calls!!!")

And of course, by the end of the show they managed to steer the conversation well off-topic. Watch Stewart's face near the end. He looks incredibly p.o.'d. Props to him for maintaining his self-control. Frankly, he looks like he'd like to deck both of them.

And his final sarcastic comment as they "played him off": "Well, that went well."

That's an incredible piece of video. It really ought to be garnering more media attention.

Of course, since most of the media are as guilty as CNN....

(Thanks, the_mole1314, for providing that link to us.)

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    that was great. he went after both of them( left and right) but only tucker was foolish enough to think he should argue his position.

and anyone who calls tucker a dick is ok by me...

btw, tucker was equally inept when he faced al franken.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

What I don't understand is why the idiots at Crossfire expected anything different? The Daily Show is not only about the insanity of US politics, it is at its core a parody of the pumped up buffoons who in the inane and superficial way they cover politics are an affront to anyone who wants serious coverage of the issues of the day. Outside Hannity & Colmes or The O'Reilly Factor can anyone think of a better example of this stupidity than Crossfire? Just what did they think was going to happen? Good for Stewart.

9. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I have to post a second time to try to convey how awesome this clip really is. I'm still reeling from it a day later, and have watched it several times.
    This will go down in history as a major media moment, and I can only hope a turning point.
    If you are reading this and haven't watched it... WATCH IT!

Lee Tom

10. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I never watch crossfire as I have a day job, but I was sitting on the couch recovering when I flipped across this. I nearly spit my orange juice all over the screen!
    Props to Jon Stewart for calling those tools out. I think that they either were aware of his attitude and looking for a good fight, or they are truly as useless as Stewart says for not realizing what they were getting themselves into.
    Full Transcript
    Quicktime Download of the show

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

What an awesome clip. Finally, somebody called it. The 24 hour news channels, with their respective idiototic shows, are helping drive the wedge into this country.

Kudos to John Stewart. He's always been the best at calling it like it is. I was a bit uncomfortable watching him shred those two baffons, and Tucker laugh like JS was just kidding around. I was only uncomfortable for a moment because I felt slightly embarrassed for that moron, then it passed.

Thanks for posting that clip!

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

"... suck up to (Kerry)..."

I'm sure that set Stewart off, but you could tell he was already pretty pissed (or at least somewhat already disenfranchised). Too bad Novak wasn't there, I loved it when he was ripping on him on the Daily Show for that whole thing with the CIA operative's name being leaked. I wish he had gone off on O'Reilly as well, especially since the guy blasted his audience (even though he was wrong, apparently we're smarter than those who watch his show). Does show how good Jon is, giving the other guy the chance to speak... before making fun of them by basically turning what they say around on them. :p

"You're lectures are boring." :mad: Stuffit Tucker. I love how Stewart called him a ****. Go Jon! He's comedian people, you're political pundits. He can make fun of the fact that he is more of a journalist than you are. I seem to recall him being able to make fun of Clinton too. That's why I like about him. He will call the BS on both sides. I do wish he was tougher on some interviews, but I can appreciate him wanting to let his viewers decide for themselves and let the interviewees make their points. Letting them either get their message across, or implode in their own rhetoric.

Sad that we need comedians to point this stuff out to us... but glad that Jon Stewart, and people like him, are there to do it.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Notice a pattern there?

Bill O'Reilly looks like an idiot when called out by Al Franken on C-SPAN.

Bush looks stupid trying to respond to Kerry in the debates, and loses all three of them.

Jon Stewart embarrasses Tucker Carlson publicly on CNN.

It's what happens when you tell the truth on people.

It's what happens when you call them liars or fools to their faces, and give the reasons why.

Harry Truman had it right: "I don't give 'em hell...I just tell the truth on 'em, and it feels like hell."

It makes me hope -- slightly -- for the future of our country, because the public still seems to react positively to it. We are not yet a nation totally brainwashed by spinmeisters and "hacks", as Stewart calls them.

And I gotta agree with LeeTom. I have to tell you, for the second time, that this is an amazing piece of video. This really ought to be a front-page story...if not the entire paper, then at least the op/ed section.

When did this happen, just Friday? I wonder if Carlson and Begala are going to say something about it Monday. I can't wait to see if Stewart addresses it on The Daily Show next week!

14. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Wow, that was great.

I too was sort of uncomfortable watching Stewart lay it all on the line in front of these guys, but man, Crossfire is insane! To be honest, though, it's not exactly like CNN has a reputation for even-handed coverage. :rolleyes:

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Alas, The Daily Show was a rerun.

Tucker Carlson is still fuming about it, though.

He still doesn't get how stupid he looked trying to lecture Jon Stewart on journalistic integrity. [​IMG]

16. the_mole1314 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny thing is, EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE, from load of boards I'm on think Tucker looked like an ass. I mean even the republicans thought he sucked! Tucker, get over it man, you had your ass handed to you, you're making it worse than it really is.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Even some die hard republicans will admit Bush didn't do so well during the first debate (of course, it made him look better during the next 2 because he set such low expectations... even though most people thought he lost all 3, yet he's still ahead in polls). Even Bill O'Reily seemed less of a jerk than Tucker when he was on that Daily Show re-run they showed earlier. He was down-right civil. :eek: Face it Tucker, that "entertainer" made you look like a fool and all you could do was slam him for doing the same thing you do. Which, even if he did (which I don't think he does), isn't his job as he pointed out several times. It's yours! Some people will never get it.

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

What's odd, is that Tucker was pretty civil on Bill Maher's show a few weeks back.

And Bill Maher is probably one of the biggest Bush bashers around.

To go off topic - you know what really gets on my nerves?

Bill O'Reily and Tucker Carlson saying they are swing voters.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's probably just a ploy to seem impartial. Then when they're back on their own shows, they play to their audiences again. Flip-flopping if you will. You know, for all they talk about how Kerry can't make up his mind and seems to sway with the current, they sure do have a lot in common with him.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Stewart was finally back tonight and in top form. He talked about how sensitive some people can get when you tell them their show blows. :p

Disappointing to see that Ed Koch is pulling for Bush, even though he doesn't agree with him on a single domestic issue. Koch's overriding reason is fear of another terrorist attack.

I don't get that. Let's protect our country so Bush can screw it up for another four years?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

like the soon-to-be-ex-husband spending all his money so that his wife won't get anything, eventually there'll be nothing left worth protecting.

22. FatTony macrumors regular

I watched and thoroughly enjoyed that clip. I haven't seen better political commentary on TV in years.

I do have a small problem with Jon Stewart's argument, though. He tells crossfire that they are theater parading as debate. When they call him on being soft on John Kerry, Jon Stewart claims he is theater (comedy, fake news, etc.). I find that to be a cop out on his part. The majority of his show is pure comedy, but his coverage of "Indecision 2004" and "Mess o' Potamia" are the closest thing to honest journalism on TV.

I know he is on Comedy Central, but that doesn't absolve him of his responsibility. He brought it on himself. He may claim that he is a fake journalist and shouldn't be held to any standards. To me, that is like Barry Bonds saying he doesn't want to be a role model. Too bad, if you look like a duck and sound like a duck, you're a duck. And Jon Stewart is an honest-to-goodness news anchor.

I would like nothing more than to see The Daily Show format stretched out to more far reaching news organization. Maybe not 24-hour CNN-style, but he could certainly match the big three networks. He just couldn't take the big holidays he gets now!

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I really don't think I buy the "Jon Stewart is a news anchor" argument. There's a difference between a journalist and a satirist.

If the satirist gets closer to the truth then the journalist, that doesn't make the satirist a journalist too. It just means the journalist is doing a crummy job.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The difference is that he does not claim to be news. The people he is criticizing claim to be news. He should not have to be held up to the higher standard that he... actually does. If you watch, he was more critical than the so called "liberal media". His point was that no one was asking the tough question before we got into this mess and now everyone is surprised we are in such a mess. These political pundits aren't half the journalists this comedian is, and that was his point. That, if they were doing their jobs, he wouldn't have to. And he has been tough on Dems as well. I get frustrated watching the crap on these news shows too, and think it's sad I have to get my critical analysis from Comedy Central because of how little I get from the other channels.

Plus the Koch thing was kinda funny. Stewart was nice to him, quieted the booing, let him say what he wanted to say, and basically refuted his point. Though I do wish Jon would have pushed it a little more, but he was trying to be fair and funny and I can respect that. It is strange that Koch is behind this administration though, considering how poorly they have handled things. I can see Gulianni, but you'd think he would be almost as pissed off as Gore. Did you see Al Gore last weekend? That's who the Daily Show should have on. That would be great. He's pissed, it would make a good show.