Jonathan Ive in Line to Succeed Steve Jobs?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 9, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Though mostly speculative, Timesonline.co.uk profiles Apple's Vice-President of Industrial Design, Jonathan Ive, as a possible successor CEO to Steve Jobs.

The author suggests that there has been some call for a plan for 'Apple after Steve Jobs', who is currently 52 years old. Jonathan Ive might be the man to take that place. Ive and Jobs are said to share a similar perfectionist attitude and are in close contact on a daily basis.
    Of course, some doubt that Ive has the charisma to replace Jobs as CEO, in what has been a very public role.

The question of Steve Jobs successor has been raised before, with one suggestion that Google's CEO Eric Schmidt might have taken a temporary role as Apple CEO back during the option-backdating scandal.

Article Link

2. Moderator emeritus

I would choose competence over charisma any day.

3. macrumors 68020

Willis

Seeing as Ive has come out with most of recent Apple products, you can start to understand why. However, if Ive wasnt guiding the designs, who would take his place?!

4. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Id be a good CEO!

5. macrumors member

That sounds good, Jon seems to be a very competent and visionist person.

6. macrumors 6502a

Why me of course, is there any other logical choice?

7. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Unfortunately both are required to lead a successful company these days. Some people can hide incompetence but charisma is easy to spot and impossible to fake so we end up with CEO's that look competent and charismatic but are truly incompetent. Jobs was a rare duck indeed.

8. macrumors 65816

valdore

They'd better get the right person or our stock will plummet the second Jobs slips on the lane at a bowling alley.

9. macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Ive is a genius, but he's not a showman like Jobs.
    Anyway...he'd still be my first choice.

10. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Well, he has been my choice for a some years now.
    It *seems* he has the vision, perseverance, charisma close to that of Mr. Jobs.

But.... but.... there is no 2nd Steve. Once the day comes that Steve announces his retirement, Apple shares would fall faster than a free fall.
    I only hope that in the long term it wouldn't matter so much.

The biggest stuff has been done:
    - Mac OS X
    - Intel
    - iPod
    - iPhone
    - iTMS

Keep up this good work for another 5 years, and I assume Steve's huge influence can start to relax...

11. macrumors regular

It will anyway when Steve leaves. Look at any major corporation that had a well-known CEO/leader and he they left, the stock falls.

As for charisma vs. competence: I'll choose competence. Get the 'Mac' guy to do MWSF each year for the charisma.:rolleyes:

12. macrumors 65816

Jonathan Ive is a wonderful designer, but hardly the one to replace Steve. Jonathan stays away from publicity and didn't even like the publicity he received for designing the iPod.

Someone that doesn't want to be in the public eye cannot CEO a company.

13. macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Jobs is overseeing the rise of OSX, the takeover of iPhone and the progression of Apple into a new era.

He's going nowhere.

14. macrumors G4

daneoni

Hmmm maybe with training. He doesn't seem to have enough 'jerk' and 'greed' in him. His reality distortive keynote skills may also be lacking.

15. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

life without steve in charge of apple?? i can't imagine!!?? nor do i want to, at least for now

16. macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Apple isn't just about the products, it's about bringing ideas of how computers and similar devices should work to the people, in a world dominated by the opposition. If Apple does not have a charismatic leader, it will flounder. Just look at its history after SJ left the first time.

Of course, it could be argued that some of Apple's leaders in that era were neither charismatic nor competent.

17. macrumors 6502a

fistful

I remember seeing a video of Ive talking about industrial design (I think about the G4 iMac) he may not have the charisma of Jobs but he seemed quite passionate and personable. I think he'd make a competent replacement, although by the time jobs steps down Ive may be too old to take the helm.

18. macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs will die?! :eek:

19. macrumors 6502

bommai

Tim Cook is the successor

When Steve was gone for a month during cancer treatment, Tim Cook took over. He has been second in command for a while now and I think he is the most likely candidate.

20. macrumors 6502

Ive would be no doubt a good choice, but I don't think the best choice. I think the best choice is someone we won't expect.

Ive is not a trained or schooled in programming or marketing. He's an artist.

Phil Schiller wouldn't be bad.

21. macrumors 6502a

darwen

I disagree with this. I think both are importiant and I think Ives has both. I think the head of apple needs to be incrediably down to earth. The head of a company needs to be competent but I don't think Ives would be where he is without competence.

22. macrumors 6502a

hahahaha! yeah right! :D

23. macrumors regular

Pick me! Pick me!

24. macrumors 6502a

Arrgh - please correct that misspelling of Jonathan early in the story!

Thanks,

Jonathan

25. macrumors member

hes definitely not steve jobs but this interview does show that he at least wont totally collapse if interviewed