Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple senior executive Jonathan Ive has officially assumed the role of "Chief Design Officer" at Apple effective today, after being promoted from his previous role of "Senior Vice President of Design" nearly six weeks ago. Apple has updated Ive's executive profile on its leadership website to reflect the design chief's new position as Apple's third active C-level executive alongside CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri.
Jonathan Ive is Apple's Chief Design Officer, reporting to CEO Tim Cook. Jony is responsible for all design at Apple, including the look and feel of Apple hardware, user interface, packaging, major architectural projects such as Apple Campus 2 and Apple's retail stores, as well as new ideas and future initiatives.
Jony-Ive-Chief-Design-Officer-800x549.jpg

Apple announced in a company-wide email last month that Ive would be promoted to Chief Design Officer on July 1 and turn over his day-to-day management of the company's design teams to Richard Howarth and Alan Dye, who have both been elevated to vice president positions. Ive will remain responsible for all of Apple's design, with a focus on redesigning Apple Stores and other larger projects.
Jony is one of the most talented and accomplished designers of his generation, with an astonishing 5000 design and utility patents to his name. His new role is a reflection of the scope of work he has been doing at Apple for some time. Jony's design responsibilities have expanded from hardware and, more recently, software UI to the look and feel of Apple retail stores, our new campus in Cupertino, product packaging and many other parts of our company.
Apple has also added executive profile pages for design vice presidents Howarth and Dye.

Dye-Howarth-Apple-PR-Bios-800x276.jpg

Ive spoke with The Telegraph journalist Stephen Fry last month about his decision to relinquish some of his control, stating that he is still in charge of Apple's design departments without needing to focus on administrative and management work, responsibilities that will now fall under his lieutenants Howarth and Dye. The move had been widely expected for several years.
When I catch up with Ive alone, I ask him why he has seemingly relinquished the two departments that had been so successfully under his control. "Well, I'm still in charge of both," he says, "I am called Chief Design Officer. Having Alan and Richard in place frees me up from some of the administrative and management work which isn't ... which isn't ..."

"Which isn't what you were put on this planet to do?"

"Exactly. Those two are as good as it gets."
Ive has been a full-time Apple employee since 1992, and rumors about him scaling back at the company have gained momentum over the years. Ive in the past has expressed his desire to spend more time in his native England, where he grew up, and his promotion will enable him to travel more often and possibly work remotely at times. Ive and his family currently live in an upscale neighborhood in San Francisco.

Article Link: Jony Ive Officially Takes 'Chief Design Officer' Title at Apple

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Oh joy. Now to go along with my iPhone's boring unintuitive art and squinty hard to read thin blueish grey font on darkish grey background, perhaps Apple stores will replace the tables and Geniuses with an empty white space room with no intuitive door in front - instead you have to swipe and swipe and press and swipe to "discover" the door, and then let users rely on Siri to self-diagnose their phones.

"Function Over Form" & "It Just Works," RIP 2013.

Stake in the heart, 2015.

Last edited:

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Negotiations at Apple:

Jony says: It's been a blast, but I'm underpaid and under-appreciated. I want to go.
Jony thinks: Wow I'm doing well here - loving this place.

Tim says: We can give you a few more shares and let you make the iPhone even thinner, but that's it. There are many great designers here in the US.
Tim thinks: We'll give him anything to stay.

Jony says: It's not just money and recognition. I miss England so badly!
Jony thinks: I'd sooner die than go back there to live in the rain.

Tim says: Hmm... What if we made you Chief of Design?
Tim thinks: He's basically doing that already. Nobody tells him what to do.

Jony says: Wow, I'm, touched. Sure I'll stay. I love you guys.
Jony thinks: My masterplan is almost done. Now I will effectively run Apple, and it won't be long before a similar conversation gets me CEO. Then, finally, everything will be made as thin as a razor blade with a battery life of four minutes.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So wait, according to Mark Gurmam these new VPs report to Tim Cook and not Ive. Yet in the Telegraph article Ive says he's still in charge of both. If he's not it seems odd that these VPs would report directly to Cook vs reporting to say, Craig Federighi and Dan Ricco. There's plenty of other VPs in the company that don't report directly to Tim Cook.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ples-newly-promoted-chief-design-officer.html
[When I catch up with Ive alone, I ask him why he has seemingly relinquished the two departments that had been so successfully under his control. “Well, I’m still in charge of both,” he says, “I am called Chief Design Officer./QUOTE]

Reactions: Etan1000

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
"Apple senior executive Jonathan Ive has officially assumed the role of "Chief Design Officer" at Apple effective today, after being promoted from his previous role of "Senior Vice President of Design" nearly six weeks ago."

So in the interim six weeks his official title was "that which shall not be named?" That's some fancy writing, MacRumors.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I don't mind the software - iOS 6 was so stale.

This confirms that at least somebody else out there agrees that iOS 7 and Yosemite was more for change than for improvement. I'm curious to see what JIve does two or three years from now when iOS 12 is called stale? How much more minimalism can possibly be added, or functionality possibly removed?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Let's get ready. The amount of hatred toward Jonny Ive will be astounding.

----

I think he really is great at hardware design, maybe the best in the industry. I don't care much for his software design though.
Give him time. He's still new at it, and he didn't have very long to work on the iOS 7 re-design in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This confirms that at least somebody else out there agrees that iOS 7 was more for change than for improvement. So what happens to or three years from now when iOS 12 is called stale? How much more minimalism can possibly be added, or functionality possibly removed?
How does this confirm anything when according to John Gruber the new VP of UI led the redesigns of iOS 7 OS X Yosemite and the Apple Watch? If you hate the software redesigns then blame Alan Dye as he was/is the leader for all of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.