Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No Swiss watch can beat an Apple iDevice for accurate time, as long as it has internet access. It also automatically switches time zones and between daylight savings time and standard.

If the iWatch syncs to one's iDevice, then it will also have such accuracy and be back on one's wrist for convenient access.

We haven't yet seen everything else that it will access and make more convenient, but, just like the computer is a "general purpose machine" thanks to its programmability and digital inner workings, the iWatch will be not just a watch and certainly far more general purpose than an analog set of revolving "hands."

I think the Swiss watch industry is truly in for a rude awakening in the not-too-distant future.

Doubt it. Let me know when the "iWatch' has enough battery power to last for several days and can be considered useful as survival gear as well. You know - where or when there's no power source for several days to recharge?

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Apple is a pro at media hype using controlled leaks. Given that Johnny says it's da bomb, I think it's an attempt to do a damage control since iwatch is not ready to be announced

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Quartz watches came out several decades ago. Compared to traditional Swiss mechanical watches (Rolex, Patek, your various ETA incarnations, etc), they are substantially cheaper, generally more reliable, and more accurate. If people bought watches only for function, Rolex would have gone bankrupt long ago. However, the Swiss watch makers are doing just fine. People buy Rolexes and Pateks because they are status symbols and also because people appreciate the craftsmanship and centuries of horological advances that make those kinds of watches possible.

The iWatch will be bought primarily by people who don't already regularly wear a watch or who might only currently have a $20 Casio. People are not going to buy an iWatch in lieu of a Rolex or Patek.

gyang333

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Pffft

For those trying to make connections to other pieces of technology (home phones, cameras) that have been made obsolete or redundant by newer technology, there's one major flaw to your arguments. Swiss watch companies have long re-branded as a status symbol or timepiece that lasts multiple generations. They have shed the title of "technology". An iWatch that needs to be replaced every few years will not replace timepieces that are sold on the premise of being passed down generations.

The only brands I can see affected by this potentially are Citizen, lower end Seiko (sub $1000), Victorinox, Tissot (potentially), boutique diver brands that sell in the range of $300-$1000 like Helson, MKII, Christopher Ward, etc but even the boutique brands might not be affected as they're so cult-based I think they'll be okay.

Oh I think designer brands like Fossil, Michael Kors, Guess, Kenneth Cole, Diesel, G-Shock, etc are screwed if the iWatch is designed and looks good enough.

ChazSch

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Doubt it. Let me know when the "iWatch' has enough battery power to last for several days and can be considered useful as survival gear as well. You know - where or when there's no power source for several days to recharge?

Its Urban survival gear….as long as there are charging stations in route…like the current iPhone…or a tesla

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
This rumor is utter BS. Jony Ives is a watch collector. He is a connoisseur of mechanical engineering. The dude knows his cars, cameras, and has utmost respect for Swiss mechanical engineering. He's partnered with Swiss firms and he wears a few 10K plus watches. I highly doubt the scenario as depicted. Too much heresay.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Sorry, but I am not buying it (the rumor). First, it's not even verified that Jony even said it. It's an unnamed 'Apple designer', of which I've read Ive has a relatively small hardware design team that he works directly with. If the leak could be tracked back to any of the cadre of folks who would've heard him say this, they would be on the street the next day.
Second, as has been said before, it is hard to imagine someone who truly respects good design lobbing grenades at some of the great watchmakers and designers of our time. Watch 'How Things Are Made' to see how high-end watchmaking is truly a time-honored craft.
If Ive actually did say this, we are looking at something in the $1,000+ price range....

The source quotes Ive as saying this.

I don't see it as criticism of Swiss watchmaking so much as smart watches entering into a design-first phase. This will not deter watch buyers eager to spend $10,000 on a bragging right or a collectible or whatever the hell people buy watches for. But if I could put a beautiful (and more importantly, functional) iWatch on my wrist for less than $500, I would have my own bragging rights. I don't know a single person with an expensive watch and I am 41 years old. But I do know if I'm wearing an iWatch and everyone else in the room is wearing some crappy Android wear or Samsung nonsense, I will be the standout.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
"This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up till then people just carried pocket watches."
I would not want back a smartwatch carried by my father that way, however. Even an Apple.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Its Urban survival gear….as long as there are charging stations in route…like the current iPhone…or a tesla

Tell those that lived through hurricane Sandy in NYC how useful their iWatch would have been when their power was out for a week. :)

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
No it's because some Wall Street clown said "sell the stock" this morning.

True. Wall Street clowns are short sighted but they are also far-sighted. I mean to say that the sell off today was probably unrelated to the iCloud security issues just like the buyback tomorrow will be unrelated to the news tomorrow. But I do know that the price targets have been raised to around $120. It's all nonsense but that's far-sighted for you.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I bet a typical processor inside a computer today is much more complex to engineer than a watch. :p

(Even a smart watch. :D)

A CPU processor is mostly designed by robotics, computer assist. That type of engineering is totally different than watch; mechanical engineering that requires high level of precision tolerance with hundreds of moving parts that is built to last decades, centuries of use. A 60 year old watch with 600 parts can be accurate to 0.5 seconds a day after 6 decades of day to day use. Something that beats 18-36,000 bphs,rotate 60 full seconds; 8,6400 seconds a day.

Imagine a sports car running 7,000 rpms non-stop; never taking a break or rest-stop; driving on roads for 24x7x365 days a year for 60 years. Imagine the mileage and wear and tear on that car. Will it be running in optimal state? I don't think it would be as mechanically crafted as a watch.
Then imagine making 800,000 of those a year to that type of spec.

That is a marvel in engineering. The Swiss are not sitting idly. Swatch just released the SISTEM51 watch movement in a $150 watch. It has 51 parts vs 400/600 on 5 plates held by one screw. It has a 90 hour power reserve vs 40. It can go un-service for 30 years versus 3 years. This on a $150 SWATCH. That require a level of re-thinking. It is utterly simplistic in design and you have to simply marvel of that kind of engineering to get to that point.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I ain't giving up my Omegas for something my phone already does. I'd add a Fuelband or Fitband bracelet, but I'll never dual wrist watches

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
You still don't: this is unverified rumor about a private conversation that may have happened.

Everyone's treating the "story" like it matters :rolleyes:

It's a rumor site. If we ignored this story we would have to ignore every other story too. Besides, it's not like we're all shareholders.

"Ive said what?" BUY!

"Ive said what now?!" SELL! SELL!!!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
People that buy $10,000-$50,000 watches aren't going to not buy them because of Apple.

There was an interview with one of the luxury watch vendors CEO back when the first digital watches came out in the 70's. The interviewer asked about the threatening competition from digital watches, and the CEO gave back the answer "We're not in the watch business. We're in the Jewelry business."

The Swiss watchmakers have nothing to worry about.

But isn't that why Apple's been hiring top notch talent from the fashion industry?

The price of luxury goods have outpaced the rate of inflation for many years now without adding additional value. That's usually a strong indicator that the market is ripe for disruption. And Apple, as the only true tech lifestyle brand is poised to disrupt that market.

Apple doesn't have to necessarily disrupt the upper echelon, but if they grab 50% of worldwide watch profits, then Jonny's remark about Switzerland would be dead on.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Did we really just have a direct mention from an Apple executive about an unannounced product?

That's new.

EDIT: Ah, it's another Apple designer referring to Ive. Okay, that makes more sense.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
If Johnny Ive thinks that people buy high end watches aka
"Switzerland" are going to stop buying Rolexes, Breitlings or even Tag-Heuer for a iWatch then he's in trouble. People don't buy those watches for function. I think Apple may be clueless on this one. How many women wear smart-watches?

Of course its in response to the inflamatory way this has been presented/written (who knows if and what was said), but it is interesting watching people flat out reject the notion. I am sure many in the cell phone industry in 2005 or 2006 might have also thought people dont buy cell phones for their music player, internet accessing, app running or gaming abilities. But Apple did come into the mark, and the market changed. Now thats why many people buy phones. Not al people though. Many people still want just something to make and receive calls.

Its not a perfect analogy, but i guess of course the market for fine watches will never go away, they are jewllery, they are status symbols for people who place importance on those things. But if apple do do a watch, and it is good, it will almost certainly steal a fair chunk of sales of traditional watch manufacturers (in the same way that having a clock on your phone has arguably stolen some of those sales too - less people wear watches).

zippyzoom

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2009
Not so quick

People that buy $10,000-$50,000 watches aren't going to not buy them because of Apple.

There was an interview with one of the luxury watch vendors CEO back when the first digital watches came out in the 70's. The interviewer asked about the threatening competition from digital watches, and the CEO gave back the answer "We're not in the watch business. We're in the Jewelry business."

The Swiss watchmakers have nothing to worry about.

Thought this way previously, but not so certain now. If executives who make up a majority of buyers for the luxury watch market (lange, patek, rolex, panerai, etc.) gain additional productivity from the iWatch to offset the 'intangible benefits' (i.e. status), a large number of these individuals could potential forgo their traditional watches for this one.

Its easy to see that watches within the price range of the iWatch (I'm giving a large estimated range between $250 and $500) may, with relative certainty, suffer drastically. Although the luxury watch market ($10,000) may not be affected as dearly in relative terms, I surmise they may face an absolute fall in demand that will shake up the watch industry and potentially cause further consolidation within the market.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Jony Ive: "Steve, I managed to finish the last project I was working on before you died. I never had the chance to show you. I present to you, the iWatch"
Steve Jobs ghost: "That's a dopey idea"
Jony Ive: "What? No it's isn't"
Steve Jobs ghost: "Yes, it's dopey"
Jony Ive: "No it isn't!"
Steve Jobs ghost: "You're right, it's isn't"
Jony Ive: "See I told you!"
Steve Jobs ghost: "It's really dopey"
Jony Ive: "Well I'm going to tell everyone that before you died that you said that with the iWatch, the Swiss are F*#&"
Steve Jobs ghost: "At this point I don't even care since all you've released are me-too products for the last 3+ years with a sick obsession with 1GB of memory for every new iDevice. I mean seriously...wtf Jony. I should have fired you back when I asked you to put the speakers inside the iMac and you initially refused...y'know...kind of like that programmer who developed a word processor without fonts and then said it wasn't a pressing issue."
Jony Ive: "Well I take back everything I said at your eulogy"
Steve Jobs ghost: "I wouldn't know because I wasn't there"

Love it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But isn't that why Apple's been hiring top notch talent from the fashion industry?

The price of luxury goods have outpaced the rate of inflation for many years now without adding additional value. That's usually a strong indicator that the market is ripe for disruption. And Apple, as the only true tech lifestyle brand is poised to disrupt that market.

Apple doesn't have to necessarily disrupt the upper echelon, but if they grab 50% of worldwide watch profits, then Jonny's remark about Switzerland would be dead on.

There's plenty of room for all manufacturers in the marketplace. As with everything - different strokes for different folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.